• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Who uses their spridget as their primary vehicle?

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My B/E project is for fun, but I was wondering who uses their LBC as their primary vehicle?

I suppose it would be cost effective economical transportation, but I would be concerned about safety.

Fred

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I did for about a year, but daily driving just tears up any car, let alone a 50+ year old one. I guess it depends on where you live, but I never felt or feel unsafe driving my Bugeye around the Denver area or on road trips to Vegas, L.A. or Florida. You just have to drive offensively.....anticipate what the other drivers are doing or what they're about to do and you'll be fine.

RyanBez

Jedi Hopeful
I would maybe by a cheap one and use it. But after the man hours that are going into my restoration I don't know if I want to let it see sunlight!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I used to use my Mark 1 Mini (1962) on a near daily basis... but it was still a secondary car; blew a head gasket or two, but it otherwise did rather well. Used a 1973 Mini (Mark 3 Cooperized one) with nearly that frequency. The Bugeye, though, is strictly a nice-weather car as I like the top off (and it's rainy this time of year in Portland).

RickB

Yoda
me me me

61frogeye

Jedi Trainee
I have only had my BE a few months but I use it on my days off, rain or shine (no driving on snow or salty roads). I drove my 1950 Belair daily for 5 of the 15 years I owned it except on snow or salt. I like the days off use best because it keeps both me and the car happy without piling on the miles, I look forward to days off either wrenching or driving.

I already have two vacations planned for me and my BE this summer.

BillW103

Jedi Trainee
My Bugeye is just for fun. Way too much rain here in Washington and the Bugeyes have too many inaccessible cavities that can collect moisture and hold it until it rusts it way out. I drive it as much as possible in the summer but it doesn’t go out in the rain. It had a tough life in its early days but now it will be pampered as long as I have it. I don’t think it would hold up to 30,000 miles a year with an extension ladder on top of it.

RickB

Yoda
Only 150 to 200 miles a week, then the odd trip across the country.
It's a tough little car and having the roll up windows, a working heater and the heated drivers seat along with a nice loud radio makes it pretty handy.

I did not drive it during our recent storms, mainly due to the other drivers out there. I simply don't trust people in Ford Excursions or H2 / H3's driving 65 - 70MPH on icy snow packed freeway lanes passing me while I trundle along at 30 - 40MPH.

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
During Spring/Summer/Fall I drive mine all the time. But my primary transportation that time of year is my bicycle, then I drive the BE when I need to haul my kid around or do errands that require a car. Winter it sleeps and gets worked on.

Millrat

Jedi Hopeful
I unload log trucks for a living. Way too many here to risk driving during the week :eeek:. And it rains. Alot. All the time. :smile:

Morris

Yoda
I do... mostly. It dumped 5 inches of rain last night and yesterday a piece of weather stripping fell off my door, so I drove the Toyota today. But so far this year the little car has been my primary mode of transport.

G

If no rain then yes, my DD. I have been driving the truck lately so I can take my dog.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
TulsaFred said:
.......I was wondering who uses their LBC as their primary vehicle?

My primary <span style="font-weight: bold">race</span> vehicle! :laugh:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I used to drive my MKII Cortina (& later a MKIII) everyday.
I found,surpringly,that an automatic was much more conveinent for
a daily commute.

- Doug

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bugeye was family vehicle from 1961 to 1966 raced on weekends as well. Three of us, one kinda small.

Bugeye used daily to work and back 1976 to 1988.

Never had a car problem.

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
RickB said:

Me, me, me, too.

Daily driver, year round.

Yes, I get cold sometimes. Or hot, depending.

And yes, I break stuff every now and then. Speaking of which, I just got through replacing the brake master cylinder, which up and died on me...in traffic. :eeek:

<span style="font-style: italic">Gotta love that handy parking-brake lever...</span>

RickB

Yoda
bill_powell said:
RickB said:

Me, me, me, too.

Daily driver, year round.

Yes, I get cold sometimes. Or hot, depending.

And yes, I break stuff every now and then. Speaking of which, I just got through replacing the brake master cylinder, which up and died on me...in traffic. :eeek:

<span style="font-style: italic">Gotta love that handy parking-brake lever...</span>

Been there and replaced the master too.
I'm due for a lot of brake hose replacements but I hope it will last until spring and warmer weather.
The seat heater is worth it's weight in gold I feel so much better on cold driving days it's really amazing.

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
RickB said:
The seat heater is worth it's weight in gold I feel so much better on cold driving days it's really amazing.

You know, I've considered that idea. Would you kindly let me know what you are using?

I'm sitting on a Kirkey aluminum racing seat. It is padded, and covered, but I am unsure I can adequately describe just how cold that seat can get, and just how cold my, umm, seat can get.

If you follow. :blush:

G

jlaird said:
Bugeye was family vehicle from 1961 to 1966 raced on weekends as well. Three of us, one kinda small.

Bugeye used daily to work and back 1976 to 1988.

Never had a car problem.

Same car you have now?

RickB

Yoda
bill_powell said:
RickB said:

You know, I've considered that idea. Would you kindly let me know what you are using?

I'm sitting on a Kirkey aluminum racing seat. It is padded, and covered, but I am unsure I can adequately describe just how cold that seat can get, and just how cold my, umm, seat can get.

If you follow. :blush:

No idea.
I just searched Ebay motors for "seat heater universal".