• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Who uses an aluminum Radiator?

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Sims Radiator in Atlanta says I need to re-core. I can get the old style core redo for $480 or using the existing tanks I can have a later (modern core) for $360. I'm thinking I could get a new, efficient aluminum radiator for a little more $'s. Tell me about your aluminum radiator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

P.S. This application is for an XK150

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I have heard good things about Aluminium radiators, but don't have first hand experience. I will probably try one in my 67 EType (if I ever get to that point in my resto). My feeling is, Jags tend to run hot anyway, so anything you can do to help keep it from overheating is a good thing.

Basil

rileyimp

I've used them for years. They work great. Terry's in Benton IL has them on sale for $650 to $750 right now. I saw it on their specials page on the website today.

OP
V

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Riley:
Thanks for the tip.

I made an email to Terry's as the webpage only had E types. The catalog says to call for pricing; I hope this does not turn out to be the old clichΓ© about "if you have to ask...."

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
well here's the sour note: it's a waste of dinero some say.
I've read articles both ways, pro and con. When I was considering a recore or a new aluminum radiator for my '65 'S' type, I decided for the recore using a modern and more efficient core. The price for the aluminum radiator was absurd, but if you gots the money to spend, then by all means give it a try. Nobody learns by other's experiences but their own. Regardless which way you go, the price quote you got to recore yours was also absurd, you might shop around.

OP
V

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
I'm getting a little discouraged with the al radiator; the best price I found is $850 or 1050 with an electric fan. I want it to run cool but..... that does not include installation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looks like I will be back shoping for a recore. By the way, how does the <modern> core differ from the original?

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
This is a pic of the 150 with the Griffin radiator. It is a quality piece and yes it was about $900.00. I don't think a properly rebuilt stock S engine really needs it. But this car is not stock as one can tell by the alternator and the power steering fluid reservior.

Alan T

Attachments

• 293142-XK150FHCNewell021S.jpg
    293142-XK150FHCNewell021S.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 123

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
This is a pic of a stock 150S Radiator. So far it is keeping the engine cool but I only got to drive it enough for testing before it went on the show circuit for the next year or so. It is the engine that received the nice Ross pistons.

Alan T

Attachments

• 293147-XK150SCleveland005S.jpg
    293147-XK150SCleveland005S.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 106

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'll tell you about my car's old/original radiator, but I am not familiar with the XK-150 radiator, however, I don't think Jaguar used different radiator technology in those days, they all used what my radiator shop called a "V" core, which is no longer used today. (obsolete). I have attached a picture of my rebuilt radiator, which I'm sure is very similar to yours. The Core measures 17" x 17".

The radiator shop measured my old radiator, called a Core supplier, (I was there listening), and then told me it would be best to use a Double-Row core, which is the modern way to go.

I paid $300.00 for the Double-Row core and their labor which included pressure-testing the new radiator and painting it black!

I did remove it and re-installed it myself, so I saved a bit on the R & R job, not to mention I did it very carefully because it's my car and I wanted it perfect. I also installed a new Water Pump and Thermostat as they and others recommended. (mine were very old anyway). Before filling the system, I did a Prestone Super Flush, drained the system, then did a water flush, drained it again, then filled it with a 60/40 mix of Prestone Coolant. (60% Coolant, 40% water).

The result? I have noticed the engine does not get as hot as before, the temperature is more stable and predictable even in bumper-to-bumper traffic, I like to drive my 'S' type no matter what! Perfect temperature? no, the 3.8 engine runs hot no matter what, but it is better now, much better.

I am not putting down aluminum radiators, only the price. My understanding is that the small benefit you get from an aluminum radiator is not worth the extra expense, and with the savings, you could install an Electric Fan kit...

Attachments

• 293161-3.8S-cooling-radiator-front.jpg
    293161-3.8S-cooling-radiator-front.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 111

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
Exotexs, I also have a 3.8S (image in the photo section) . It is black with black leather and A/C so it needs all the cooling it can get. About 12-15 years ago I tried a 'modern' re-core but did not get the results that you did. By now there may be a more efficient core available. I plan on driving the S-Type again but not until I move out of the Metro Atlanta area. Driving for pleasure around here is a thing of the past.

Alan T

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Atlanta traffic! ouch! At least I-4 in Central Florida is a big open highway where you can safely move at 100 at 1:30am as long as you are fully concentrating. My 3.8S does not have a/c but I plan to add a kit from Mr. Jaguar,
(www.mrjaguar.com) who BTW also sells an electric fan kit for the 3.8S. You might try that, Mr. Jaguar does MK-II and 3.8S, which are very similar cars in some ways. Yes, modern Double-Row cores are more efficient than 15 years ago. But there are limits as you already know with these cars, they were not exactly 'cooling-efficient' even when new... A friend who restores MK-II did something totally different to his '65 MK-II: he added a second radiator, (yes), behind the right front fender/wing, about the size of a transmission oil cooler but larger, some sort of small but very heavy-duty Truck radiator, connected by hoses and tubing to the main radiator. He is an engineer so he figures all these things by himself. He says that's exactly what these cars need, more coolant, and more space for the coolant to move to and from, so now his MK-II runs cold! I told him "I want one", so I'm waiting for his final design, because he told me he's going to make a Kit out of it when he gets it perfected. There is Hope! Anyway AlanT, I'm glad to know there are more 'S' type owners around!

OP
V

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Alan:
I don't have a shot of the radiator but the attachment is a progress shot of the underhood clean up. The attachment is AFTER considerable washings, brushing with strong chemicals etc. It is much better than when I started! It will be a long hard road to bring my car to anything close to your work. This was taken about a month ago.

Attachments

• 293583-JagUnderhoodprogress.JPG
    293583-JagUnderhoodprogress.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 310
OP
V

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Alan:
After more work, I am getting something to show for the work. Still a long road ahead.

Attachments

• 293614-JagMoreprogress.JPG
    293614-JagMoreprogress.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 98

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
This car started restoration as a fairly solid rolling chassis. Yes it is a long road ahead but the results can be outstanding.

Alan T

Attachments

• 294195-XK150FHCNewell024S.jpg
    294195-XK150FHCNewell024S.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 104

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Vette, I agree that the Ali Radiators are far too expensive for the benefits received. IMOP, the Ali Radiators claim to fame is it can be built larger without incurring a significant weight penalty. Certainly it can not claim thermal performance over that of copper. A re-cored radiator with at least four cores and of a serpentine design will reduce any heating problems you may encounter. Similarly using 60% water and 40% antifreeze will also improve the system's performance. Additionally be sure and get a Sleeved thermostat this sleeve blocks off the bypass port which is quite large in the Jag engines. Consequently, a significant portion of the cooling water is not processed through the radiator using unsleeved thermostats causing the engine to have a higher running temperature.--Fwiw--Keoke

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
I totally agree with Keoke. As near as I can tell, the decision by the factories to go with aluminum radiators, as nearly all new cars use, was largely motivated by environmental & cost concerns, & weight reduction. They have to be somewhat larger to make up for the loss of effeciency.

When you consider the thousands of old radiators that come up for disposal, the lead used in the soldered construction of conventional radiators has become a large environmental concern.

Note that on the OEM radiators, even the top & bottom, or side tanks are mechanically clamped to the radiator core. Aluminum brazing & clamping costs less to build.

Aftermarket aluminum radiators are more expensive partly because of the need to actually braze the tanks on instead of clamped, & partly because aluminum sounds "trick".

As Keoke would say, FWIW.
D

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
During the winter I upgraded my E-type to an alluminum radiator...was having overheating issues....the unit I purcahsed was from Summit Racing....went in fairly easy. I was able to utilize the frame from original JAG radiator. I also replaced the stock dual electric radiator fans..they
were close to dead....replaced the water pump..hoses and caps...needless to say they all seem to have done their job as the e holds at hot but hasn't overheated....however, summer is just around the corner for the real test...