• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheeler Dealers

PSUTR3B

I have been watching Wheeler Dealers, now on Velocity on Cable. Its a British show where two guys buy, refurbish/repair/semi-restore cars and then sell them. They have featured an E Type, a bugeye (Or in Brit speak a frogeye) Sprite and most recently a 1966 Lotus Elan.It includes a lot of scenes on the repair work. Not all the cars are British. They did a Charger and a '57 Chevy. The guys are a lot less egotistical than Wayne on Chasing Classic Cars and the cars are within a reasonable price range.

Another good show on Velocity is Grand Prix- The Killer Years. Great footage of 1960's races and lots of info on Lotus, Colin Chapman, Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart. It was the time when British cars challenged and overtook the Italians. It is enough to get you excited for the 2012 F1 season.

It is all good viewing for British car guys.

Gary

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I do watch that show, but they seem to do very minor work on the cars before they flip them... a couple of "fiddly bits" on the Stag, and it was sold.

I wish they gave a better accounting of what they actually did to refresh the cars; to not even mention checking the frame on the Elan was a little scary.

I have a friend with an Elan in his garage for the past 30 years, so that episode will be sent to him. I do like how Ed replaced the donuts with CV half shafts.

The body on the '57 was frightful, though.

mike_h

Did you see the episode where they fixed up a Spitfire? Needed a valve job and some brake work. The best part was the test drive after the "restore". Ed, the mechanic is around 6'6", they put him in the passenger seat, with goggles on, his head completely above the windshield.

Reminded me of a drawing I saw as a kid of a giraffe poking out of a circus train.

Good show, they don't take themselves too seriously. New episode tonight at 9.

mike

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
mike_h said:
Did you see the episode where they fixed up a Spitfire? Needed a valve job and some brake work. The best part was the test drive after the "restore". Ed, the mechanic is around 6'6", they put him in the passenger seat, with goggles on, his head completely above the windshield.

Reminded me of a drawing I saw as a kid of a giraffe poking out of a circus train.

Good show, they don't take themselves too seriously. New episode tonight at 9.

mike

That was really funny, good thing they were able to do it with the top down! But I'm pretty sure Ed was driving.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I didn't see the Spitfire show, but really enjoyed the recent one on the Bond Bug. Probably the most profit he's ever made on a car on that show.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
It's an entertaining show, but I can't help but always notice that the one guy buys the car, sends it to his buddy with the shop, who apparently provides his labor for free, then they show how much they made on the car, purchase price plus parts being the calulation for cost.

But I do enjoy it, will also second "Grand Prix: The Killer Years" which I plugged on the racing forum here, one of the best documentaries I have ever seen on racing.

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
PSUTR3B said:
Another good show on Velocity is Grand Prix- The Killer Years. Great footage of 1960's races and lots of info on Lotus, Colin Chapman, Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart. It was the time when British cars challenged and overtook the Italians. It is enough to get you excited for the 2012 F1 season.

I watched this the other night. It is really pretty good. Lotus took a beating on driver safety.

Putting an HDTV and DVR in my garage has been the best think since the air compressor!