• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT Wheeler Dealers on YouTube - restore mgbgt

RickB

Yoda

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Re: Wheeler Dealers on UTube - restore mgbgt

Yeah saw that one. You'll not come across a deal like that anymore.

100DashSix

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

I greatly prefer the Discovery UK show "An MG Is Born." It's the sort of thing I've been dying to see on television. Enterprising users of The Internet can find it for download, as I don't think US television will show it.

dklawson

Yoda

Sidebar: Don't use the abreviation "Utube" for YouTube.

I know this sounds anal, but.... There is a company, a tube forming company, who has operated the https://www.utube.com web site for years before YouTube came along. They are a small company and their business has been negatively affected by people typing in utube.com when they wanted YouTube. The problem is their server can't handle the traffic. Also, many rude web surfers have sent them hate mail because THEY typed in the wrong address and couldn't find the video they were looking for.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Duh, takes all kinds dosn't it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Welcome to the Wild Wooly Web. Some great number of folk think simply because it's there, it belongs to them personally, acting with (imagined) impunity as a result. Highly annoying. "Fools rush in" and all that jazz. Pro'lly a majority are undisciplined children.

As for the WheelerDealer vids... I kept thinking: could they not have choked up a few quid for LUGNUTS?!?! A spray-bomb of the drums? All seem'd a bit too "hog-lot dealer" for me. Yeah, yeah, I know it was done as a resale job and all parties were satisfied with their deal. $5K+ would have me in stitches on th' floor for the end result.

I'm underwhelmed. "How to Make a Quick Buck Flipping a Car". Not sayin' there was dishonesty, the methodology just didn't appeal to me. Polish up a lump and all you've got is a *shiny* lump. We could argue th' toss all day, all I'm on about is: it turned me off. "Fast Buck Freddy" came to mind.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda

I see that part of it, but I liked seeing them dissasemble / reassemble. I wish they had gone into a lot more detail on that bit but I can tell the gist of the show was about flipping the car.

I was hoping they would be replacing the windscreen themselves and showing some nice tips, but that was too difficult a thing for their abilities and at least they knew they had limitations.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

The wrench said he'd changed 'em (windscreens) before but chose to hire out that job this time. All seem'd too "QnD" to me. It chafes. Boils down to the: "What's it Worth" question. Ultimately I know it's whatever the buyer and seller agree upon, but it runs the price up on the cars and cheapens a true resto. But I'm biased. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Causes me to regret not making production videos of resto projects in my past... But who'd pay for a video of something like an old DB 2/4 convertible in pieces? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda

It sure would be nice to see some of the resto stuff in action before attempting it for the first time.

Maybe some of the guys at my local club have done video of theirs, I'll ask around. If I can unbolt it then I can bolt it back on.
When it comes to cutting things off to weld new things back on it would probably be very instructive to see someone else do it first.

Ah - looks like I found the Discovery UK show mentioned above.
Maybe this will be more what I'm looking for /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

100DashSix

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

It sounds like the Mark Evan's "An MG Is Born" is everything that the Wheeler Dealers episode is not; he goes into great detail (as much as time allows, and spanning multiple episodes) in breaking the MG down, refurbishing/replacing, and putting it all back together. Plus it's fun to watch, and doesn't leave you with any sort of used-car-dealer feeling. I especially liked the bits where he shows the process of welding in repair panels, and the difficulties in doing it.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Is "An MG is Born" on You Tube?

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda

I could not find it on YouTube.

100DashSix

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Your best bet would probably be to find it with a BitTorrent search, though it looks like you'll have to download the episodes individually.

bobmga62

Jedi Hopeful

I have wached it.

Guy spent way too much on "new" rostyle wheels, and without putting on cneter caps in the ed.. really blew his budget..
a little sandpaper, silver paint, and be a good boy and paint the black with a good brush, you could have had the same result for nearly nada.. (nothing bother sme more than see a B, with rostyle wheels with some idiot who just painted them all one color... well, yet, not quite as bad as one who buys cheap wire wheel hupcaps at $15.00 a set from NAPA...)

on top of that, I think he sold the car for basically the added cost of just his materials..

we all work for nothing, but, this guy went way below par...

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda

I found it with a BT search, thanks 100-6.