• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

wheel balancing

Country flag
Does any one know where to get wheels balanced while on the car in the Reno to Sacramento area? I'd have them balanced on the spin machines but they usually don't have the proper stuff for our wire wheels.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
tahoe

not sure if you're running daytons but here is the dealer contact web page and/or their number is 888-559-2880...I'm sure they can get you in contact with a reputable service.

https://www.daytonwirewheels.com/locate2.asp

bighly

Jedi Knight
Rich,

I use John Blake down here in Santa Cruz. He can do the work while you wait. He will not only balance but also true and round the wheels. he will also replace broken spokes. He will then mark each 1 through 5 best to worst and instruct you to put best on driver front then passenger front driver rear, passenger rear and spare.

Perhaps you could do it in conjunction with another event down here.

I have no financial interst bla blah disclaimer.

John was the restorer for British Wire Wheel until they moved down South.

Tracy

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Thanks Bighly, John did mine originally but now I'm getting some shake at 70 mph coming from the front wheels. I really don't want to drive down there again. I just did the Cambria trip with the GGAHC and dont feel like the long drive again.

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Some tire stores (Big O and Les Schwab) tell me they can reverse my wheel and put it on the high speed spinner. Any thoughts? The tech tips in the Moss cataloge says it need to be on a special spline.
Thanks
TH

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Dayton wheels, made in the last 15 years or so, have the inside edge of the outer splined hub machined true to the wheel center. This means that balancer cones can be used on both inner & outer sides of the wheel hub.

I believe that older Dayton wheels may not have had this "inner outboard cone" mating surface machined true. I'm pretty sure that none of the Dunlop wheels have this surface machined.

Wheels that do not have this true machined surface will require a funnel rather than a cone on the outside of the hub to hold the hub the same way as the knockoff spinner does. Thus the "spline" part that Moss refers to.

You should be able to check which wheels you have. If there is a taper on both the inside & outside of the outboard hub shoulder, and the shoulder's thickness measures the same within a couple of thousandths at different points around the hub, (concentric inner & outer surfaces) it will work with a balancer cone on the outer side of the wheel.

I'm not sure how reversing the wheel would solve the problem of no machined true surface on the outboard inner hub shoulder. But maybe, somehow?

Have you considered that out of balance is sometimes caused by non concentric machining of the brake drums. The drums can also be balanced & often helps greatly.
D

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Thanks, Dave. I believe the shake is from the front end with disc brakes. I believe this to be so because it effects the steering a bit at 70+ mph. The rear seems stable.

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
I just talked to Moss. They now use MWS wheels. The guy I talked to does not rember ever using anything else??? I believe they were either Dayton or Dunlap about 3 to 4 years ago from Moss. Would anyone remember whose they carried back then? This has gotten very complicated. But Dayton was very helpful. They faxed me a "how to" to bring to any shop.
Thanks.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep TH, Made in India and soft as spaghetti. and who ever you were talking to has a very short memory, or was just hired.--Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

B

BobHorvath

Headed your way today. Found loose rear hub extensions yesterday that took care of my clunk and perhaps may address my tire hop at certain speeds as well. Hope to meet you today but if not I will PM you my findings.

Johnski

Freshman Member
I have a similar tire vibration problem at some speeds. What do you mean by the hub extensions? the splined hubs? or that nut that holds the shaft and requires a special tool?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Johnski, He means the wheel lock nuts that hold the splined hubs on.---Keoke

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
I think I got my problem solved. Dayton sent the instruction that I took to Les Schwab. They found the balance to be way off. We did a ride of about a hundred plus miles and it was almost perfect. (Johnski was on the ride too. And I was pleased to meet BobHorvath as well.)
Rodger won Second Place with his beauty and he got to show off his new bra (on the car).