• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A What size mag wheels

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
I'm considering replacing my wires with mags, not sure what brand yet, but probably one of the modern 8-spoke models.
What size fits a 56 TR3, 5X15, 5.5X15, 6X15. 7X15, 6X16, 7X16.
I'll try to find a modern compact spare like I got for my TR6.
Thanks,

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
6x15 will fit with 195-65-15 tires. Personally I like them a little narrower so I'd go with 5.5x15 which lets you run 165-15s if you wish.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I've thought about this myself, to get a little more stability than 54 year old 48 spoke wire wheels, but not sure how to deal with the short lug bolts used with the wire wheel adapters. How do you plan to handle the shorter lug bolt situation? I haven't done any real research, but looks like quite a job to change all the lug bolts to the longer ones used on 4 bolt hubs.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...not sure how to deal with the short lug bolts used with the wire wheel adapters...

One alternative is to use an alloy wheel that accepts the splined adaptor. They're available (Moss, etc) though they might offer as wide a range of widths.

...I'd go with 5.5x15 which lets you run 165-15s if you wish.

Perhaps you meant to say 185/15? I don't see much advantage in going to a wider wheel and keeping the current tire size.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Geo- for performance I completely agree with you but if you just want very straight wheels some nice looking alloys are an option and you can stick with original style tires. I run my 3A with 5.5" alloys and 165/15 Kumho tires.

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I put Panasports on several years ago and they are fantastic. They look great and they are 100% in balance. with no weights. They look similar to period Minilites and add a lot to the looks of the car.

Paul

G

I put Panasports on several years ago and they are fantastic. They look great and they are 100% in balance. with no weights. They look similar to period Minilites and add a lot to the looks of the car.

Paul

If you have four rims and tires that show not to need weights, you need to find someone else to balance your tires. Out of the hundred that I've mounted and balanced, I *think* there may have been ONE that didn't need weights...maybe. If whatever equipment used shows FOUR in balance with no weights, something isn't right. A machine correctly calibrated will show a difference in balance with the sticker on/off the tire.

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jim, I faced this issue when restoring my 56. I did not have four straight steel wheels. I ended up getting 5.5 x 15 rims that were 8 spoke alloys from Rimmers in UK (I could not find any 5 inch ones, which would have been my preference) and installing 165/80 x 15 tires. For me, it was less expensive to order from the UK and have shipped to Canada than to order from US. For the spare, I used the best steel rim that I had and bought a small tire to fit in the very narrow compartment in my early TR3. Here are some pictures. So far so good. Cheers, Mike

RR1344 5-5x15.jpg
New Wheels and Tires.jpg
Kumho.JPG
Spare.jpg
First_Day.jpg

OP
jfarris

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the replies, ideas, and questions.
Kley - I will replace the short wheel studs with the longer (normal) ones and if I want to put the wires back on, I'll use a spacer. I have the later rear axle in my car, but understand removing and replacing the rear studs is a tedious job.
Geo - I would use the splined mags, but just can't justify the cost difference. If I can find some used or on sale, I might rethink that.
Mike - That is a good idea on the UK wheels, I think Rimmer sells Minator wheels. With the US dollar strong right now, that might be the way to go. Thanks for the pictures, I like the color of your car - see blow, very close to mine.

TR3 Tranny Out.JPG