• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Went to look at a '61 Magnette and what did I see?

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful
I followed up on a Craigslist ad for '61 Magnette a few miles away. The guy's dad had passed away and left the family with a large group of really nice American cars. Everything was either well restored or in need of TOTAL restoration. He had lots of Edsels, including a very cool ambulance, he had various '50s Fords and much more.

Everything will be sold eventually but he is trying to clear the low-$ stuff first. He needs to free up space but he wants them to go to good homes.

The Magnette was pretty rough, needing almost everything but could be had for $500 or less. It does turn over and probably runs. (My camera is tavelling right now so the only pictures are on the seller's 3.5" floppy which I can't read at home.) There were also a Ford Consul and Zodiac. The Consul was pretty good. Needs hydrolics, rubber and paint to be a driver. The Zodiac needs some body work and lots of re-chroming. All 3 cars are California cars and have non-op registration.

The only other small car was was Fiat convertable that would have almost fit into the hatch of an MGB-GT! Dang, it was small! It was in excellent condition and would have been a blast to drive! (I didn't ask the price because I don't need another 'vert(and I didn't want to be tempted to become bug splatter on some SUV's windscreen).

I'm toying with taking the Consul but I shouldn't. If anyone out there is interested in rescuing one of these cars, I can hook you up with the seller. Just send me a PM.

I double-posted this on MG and Other Cars.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Here's my '60....you don't want to have to replace any body panels on one of them - or correct any rust problems!

farina03.jpg

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
Here's my '60....you don't want to have to replace any body panels on one of them - or correct any rust problems!

farina03.jpg

Why not Tony?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Unibody designed in Italy - & poorly done at that...probably only about 800 good examples left...nobody's making parts for it in high numbers....think there might be 1 place in the UK...if you need sheetmetal, you better be able to shape it yourself!

Just my opinion

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Rick
That is an MG1100 (Austin America in disguise) with America interior, about 1/2 the size of the Magnette
Bill

RickB

Yoda
Right, I was wondering about "the shape it's in".
Not trying to say an 1100 is the same as a Magnette...

Someone in our club has a really nice black Magnette - they were at the 50th Banquet. My wife really liked it.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks Tony. If I ever had the chance to own one like yours, I'd snatch it right up. I love the looks of that one.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Don't get Tony started. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
Adam58

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful
Re: Went to look at a '61 Magnette and what did I

RickB said:
Is it better than, equal to or worse than this 1100?:

Hi Rick,

It's hard to campare from those pictures. It's probably worse but here's what I saw:

The body's pretty straight but I suspect some very old Bondo in one or more corners due to paint cracking and lamp fittment issues. In particular, the grill area is suspect. Not horrible but would need attention for any real restoration. The rockers appear totally solid. The floors were full of water from the previous night's dowwnpour but, as rusty as they looked, were not allowing the water out so they must not perforated.

The upholstery and door panels are shot but everything is there to rebuild. The wood dash is beautiful but has some minor bubbling in the veneer.

The engine box is encouraging. It's just filthy but no rust issues and the trunk floor looks fine.

It would be a heck of a project but I think very do-able for someone with the time and motivation.

RickB

Yoda

Thanks Adam, since my wife expressed interest I've been keeping my eyes peeled. No Magnettes seem to come up for sale here in the North West.
That one sounds restorable, at least by my standards. Too far away for me though.

OP
Adam58

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful

Second time that the distance has foiled your plans! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Maybe time to find a trailer and make a road trip.! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

Whatever works!

RickB

Yoda

Heh - /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

I'm not in the "trailer" class of collectors yet.
First it will be time to build a huge shop, after that comes the trailer, after that I can start trailering home all the LBC's within a 12 state area...

See, I have a plan... Kinda long term, but it's a plan. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

OP
Adam58

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful

I like it though! I understand the space challenge as I have a garage that holds EXACTLY 2 MGs with a workbench in front. My driveway is too short even for them so the bumpers just hang into the sidewalk.

Oh well, it's a good plan - I'll adopt it too! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

I prefer the older Magnettes also...driving my '56 ZB is like driving one of the early S-type Jaguar sedans....here's a photo taken the day after Chuck Cougill & I pulled it off a farm in Indiana...It was at a car show in Newburg IN & I had just taken the hubcaps off & was preparing to put it on the trailer to take back to Alabama when they announced I'd won first place in class!
&, no, that apple green paint isn't original - it was owned by a college professor who was a serious member of Greenpeace...

56magnette01.jpg

it should be the same color as my '63 MG1100:

mg1100003.jpg

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag

I never did like any of those BMC Farina rot-boxes, be they badged Austin, Morris, Riley, Wolseley, MG or anything else.
They didn't go much in a straight line, and abhorred corners.
The beginning of the end . . .