• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Weber Conversion

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Webers have floats. The float chamber fills with fuel the same as any other carb! This has nothing to do with the ease with which the engine starts. What a Weber does have that helps starting is an accelerator pump unlike SU's. Therefore if you hit the accelerator pedal they squirt gas into the cumbustion chamber, thus making starting easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for straightening me out Mark. Yet another example of my everlasting ignorance!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'd stick with the SU's, they are great carbs. I like webers too, and if your car had a ZS I would say go with the weber. As it is though, the SU's are easier to tune, stay tuned better, and get nearly as much top end power as the Weber. I think that if you get the weber you'll not be disapointed with the performance but you'll be disappointed with spending the money. Thats just my humble opinion though. Anyone who is telling you to go with the weber over an SU either doesn't have any experiance with the SU's or is just trying to jsutify to themselves the reason they spent all that money on their weber.

OP
A

Azfire

Freshman Member
Thank you all for your opinions!

I did not make my final decision yet. Currently college exams are taking all of my time, so I'm not going to change anything on my car in the next few weeks.

When that time comes, I'll read your posts again, talk to some of my friends who own Triumphs and other british cars, and then I'll make up my mind.

Keep on posting your thoughts on this matter!

Regards,

Filipe

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Filipe, it seems to me nobody addressed the main problem with this swap. Without other engine mods(compression,cam,valves,ect) you are not going to gain much over the original set-up. Save your $$ and think hard before you dive in. Deside what you want to have when your done. One super cheap upgrade for your 1300 is to find a 1500 head(bigger valves/hard seats) have it planed to the same height as the old head, port match it and go nuts. Dont forget that the 1300 will take the gt6 pistons with a 40thou boring(cheap parts)These mods will gain a lot of power for small$$Dont get me started on cams....
MD(mad dog)

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
MD has some really good ideas to consider there. I'd go that route before messing with carbs Filipe.

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
I have been running DCOEs on my TR3 for twenty years. Once I had them properly tuned and jetted by someone who knew what he was doing, they have worked wonderfully. However, I am also running a hot cam, milled head and Mallory dual point distributor with mechanical advance only. The Webers alone would probably not be worth the expense.

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
They're worth it if you can't afford or don't want to do other modifications at the moment, such as me. I've got Webers as I've said, but don't have the time or money to put in a hot cam, raise compression, or anything like that, so I went ahead and put them on so that's out of the way. They sure are purty though...

64Spitfire

I ran a side draft Weber and mechanically advanced distributor for on my 64 Spitfire. To be honest I really didn’t see much of a power gain but did see a dip in my gas mileage. I switched back to SU’s. If your carbs are in good shape and not leaking air around the throttle linkage you should be able to pretty much set them up and forget about them.