• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Weber Conversion Q's???

79MGB16

I am almost ready to convert the single z.s. carb over to the weber kit. I will be purchasing the kit from brittek as soon as I sell my motorcycle. I have already removed the old intake/exhaust manifold and system. I will be getting the manual choke w/ peco header https://www.brittek.com/webersuperkit.html and also installing the full peco exhaust. Any suggestions?? Anything I should replace while I am there?? What is your experience with Brittek and their kit??
Thanks in advance

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
What are you gonna do with your old Zenith setup? Hey, i used to live just up the road from you!

OP

79MGB16

I was just gonna ebay it for a couple of bucks, but if your interested let me know. Carb needs moss part number 366-100 throttle shaft, but i have a tr6 throttle disc(w/o bypass valve) and a TRUE manual choke conversion from a tr6(completely eliminates the water choke mechanism) If anyone is interested email me mgb_15gp@yahoo.com for more details
I wish you woulda built the MG LAND here lol.

RHWins

are you going with the downdraft or side draft "DCOE"?
A rubber gasket is available from Moss for the DCOE, My MG does not have it, but its standard on Alfas. Lay the new manifold gasket over the head, and with a perminant black magic marker, color the area on the head that shows around the intake holes of the gasket. Insert an oily paper towel into each intake port. Then get a 3 finger brake hone and bevel the face of the port so you don't have a flat face showing inside the circles of the intake manifold. If your manifold doesn't have a fitting for a vacuum hose to the valve cover, you can drill and tap one, or run the hose from the valve cover ot the charcoal cannister on the firewall above the right footwell. Enjoy

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I'm interested in hearing which Weber conversion you're looking at also. I've looked as numerous sites (including this one) and most people seem to think that the Weber 32/36 DGV, although better than the single ZS, is a little weak on the performance side of things.

I've read that there's a Weber 38/38 DGS available, but I've only found 1 website that sells it specifically for MGB applications. I'm particularly interested in the Weber 38/38, since the thoughts on it seem to indicate that it ought to be in the same neighborhood of performance as dual SU's. However, I've yet to see anyone post their experiences with this particular carb on the net.

OP

79MGB16

I am going with the down draft weber.
In reply to nunyas, brit tek https://www.brittek.com/weberoutlawkit.html (is this the site)
also sells a downdraft weber thats supposed to have the same performance as the sidedraft. They call it the Weber Outlaw 38. My limiting factor at 17, is $$$$$$

OP

79MGB16

It is great. I stongly recommend the swap. It was well worth it. The car starts up great, warms up, and then the choke SHUTS OFF BY IT SELF. Carb is absolutely easy to adjust. No problems with cold starts either. I also went with the peco header and exhaust. I am very happy with them also. The sound from the peco system is wonderful. Loud under acceleration, but so quiet at steady throttle.
The install itself is very straight forward. As close to bolt off, bolt on as it can be for an MG. Don't forget to adjust the timing after the install.
Hope this helps.

RichC

Glad this thread was revived as I was not around for the first post. I too am converting my 75 B to the Weber downdraft. I have 3 easy to answer questions:

I just mounted the intake manifold this past weekend and debating on how much to do before mounting the carb. I've got some rough machining on the matting surface of the aluminum manifold where the carb sits and am debating as to gasket or adding some permatex? Thoughts from the field?

As for vent from crankcase and valve cover ... do most run a catch can, charcoal cannister or tap into the intake manifold?

I've got the electric choke and will be finding a key/hot wire to connect ... any opinions which wire is best?

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'd just use a gasket on the carb - without the Permatex. It should seal just fine, and will make removal much easier should that be necessary.

For the vent....most folks seem to do as I do - run a hose from the front tappet cover to a fitting on the air cleaner. Don't run it to the manifold! Too much suction! Catch can works too, but venting it into the air cleaner provides a bit of suction to evacuate the crankcase.

OP

79MGB16

Rich I just went to Autozone and bought a universal breather and installed it on the crankcase. As for the wire, there should be a wire for the preheater(piece of wood(?) with a coil in it) on manifold before the carb. There is a wire for it somewhere. Use that one.
Hope this helps

RichC

Thanks guys ... I mount the carb with just the gasket as I'm sure to have to take it apart. Also like the catch can into the filter. As for figuring out what wire there is for the preheater wire ???... guess I'm going to have to look?

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just run a wire from the fuse box, being sure to connect to a terminal that's only hot with the ignition on....