• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Water pump dissasembly

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Has anyone disassembled a water pump? I remember decades ago trying it with the original pump and braking the casting behind the impeller. It's been sitting for years and doing some cleanup around it including blasting the bearing seems a little dry sounding. Any help here would appreciated as I'm trying o save some funds.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Last year I took apart 4 to get enough good parts for 1 decent one. VB sourced my new seal. I could not find new bearings, although I see some "kits" on EBay that may have them. The part that wears the most on them is the shaft, believe it or not. The "wet" section gets very pitted, so it's hard to find a decent one.

So, it can be done, but unless you are as crazy as I am, it may be best to get a fresh, complete pump from one of the big 3.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
There is a circlip behind the inner bearing. I was trying to get one apart today when I finally got the shaft out I found the circlip. Can not see how you would release the clip as the only access to it is through the weep slot.

Going to order a new one. 4 or 5 vanes?

David

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
There is a circlip behind the inner bearing. I was trying to get one apart today when I finally got the shaft out I found the circlip. Can not see how you would release the clip as the only access to it is through the weep slot.

Going to order a new one. 4 or 5 vanes?

David

Another believer! A pump rebuild rarely ends well.

I don't think the 5 vane is necessary unless it is cheap. I think the TR cooling problems are mostly the radiator and airflow, rather than water flow related.

One thing to watch...many of the repro pumps had an extra boss that will rub on the inside of the pulley, and must be ground down for clearance. Just something to check before you install it.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just reading a bunch about this. I'd go with the 5 vain. John is right to get all the proper ducks in a row and you won't have problems with the original 4 vain but whenever possible I'd go uprated. Mine wasn't leaking or making any noises in the car but spinning it when it's dry it makes that sound. Now after rinsing it out with water it's quite as a mouse.
Moss is the cheapest especially if you have a local distributer.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My pump would have leaked if I had used it. The wet side casting seal face was rusty and pitted and it did not turn very easily.

Looking at the assembly on the wet side there is a spring loaded carbon seal that rides on a machined face. On the dry side there is a rubber washer, steel washer then a circlip. that will not pass through the hole in pump so it has to be fitted from the dry side. Then a bearing, spacer and the second bearing held in place by an internal circlip.
So either the impellor is pressed on after the bearings are assembled or the rubber washer etc. is assembled to the shaft and pressed on till the circlip catches in the grove in the shaft. Making dissemble almost impossible.

David

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The book tells you to re-machine that face to make it smooth again. The impeller is, indeed, pressed on last. The book gives the tolerance you are looking for as to how far down on the shaft it should go. The impeller has to be removed using a bearing remover on a press.

The newer seals do not depend on the machined face, but rather have an extra moving disc that remains stationary in relation to the face. So the seal seals against itself, not the casing.

To complicate things further, the above is how the original Standard pumps were constructed. I have noticed that many of the aftermarket repros through the years have differences. The type and location of the bearings, seals, and shaft vary...including the location of the dreaded circlip.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I got that dreaded circlip off fairly easy. Just the shaft wouldn't press out all the way that's when I asked the question. Figured upon reassembly that the circlip would just catch the grove when pressed together. However there is a loose washer that is in front of the circlip. What's that?

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I think that that lose washer goes on the impellor side of the circlip along with a rubber washer.

How did you reach the circlip?

David