• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Up-dated my Healey website...

Robert560

Updated my Healey website...

Hey all,

Just an FYI that I added some stuff to my website that others may find useful (or at least interesting). Most notable are...

- I doubled the brake lights on my BJ8 - converting the turn signals to turn signal + brake/running lights.

- Updated to a mechanical brake light switch (got a few good photos of how I did it as well).

- MacGyver'd up my own custom exhaust, with tailpipe outlets tucked in close to he body and bumper, and symmetric to the license plate (pipe exit on each side).

...plus a bunch of other updates here and there... including updated info on the correct speedometer gearing for you Toyota 5 speed conversion guys.

The link to my Healey website is in my sig. Hopefully some of you will find what I've done helpful in your own Healey trials and tribulations :smile:

~Bob

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Re: Updated my Healey website...

Thanks Bob some good stuff there!

Cheers,
Steve

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior

Bob,

Nice web site and a beautiful car with lots of thoughtful "improvements".

I LOVE the look of dual pipes next to the license plate.
HERE are mine.

Image41.jpg

I use redundant (= 2) micro switches (red wires) for my brake light system.
They also are actuated by the pedal swing arm under the dash.

Image31.jpg

Tim
PS - Did you ever join the local Healey club?

OP
Robert560

Robert560

Randy Forbes said:

I think it may be a bit of an illusion in that photo, possibly due to lighting or angle... at least it never seemed that high to me in person. I'll give it a look though... thanks!

Cottontop said:
Bob,
I LOVE the look of dual pipes next to the license plate.
HERE is mine.

Looks great!... I need to get some chrome tips on mine like that.

Cottontop said:
PS - Did you ever join the local Healey club?

Sure did! Though I'm late on my 2011 dues (need to get that check mailed already!) But yeah, I joined, just haven't been very active yet. Hopefully this year I'll get out an be social more!

~Bob

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior

Bob,

We just had the yearly planning meeting last Sunday, but I can tell you that we've got a year FULL of events coming up. At least 3-4 each month.

I'm flying to SoCal tomorrow (Mom's 99th BD) so it'll take a few days to get the whole year's worth posted, but the first couple of months are already under Upcoming Events on the NTAHC web site (www.ntahc.org).

Get the lead out and you and yours join us for a GREAT & FULL year.

Tim

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior

Donny L,
look at this link at the begining of the thread from Robert 560 and scroll down to the bullet that reads slotted and drilled rotors and you will find a video that will show you how to install front wheel bearings shims.
Bob

RAC68

Darth Vader

Hi Bob,

Very nice web site and a great looking Healey.

In reviewing some of your modifications, I happened to notice that you installed a fuel filter before your Lucas electric fuel pump. Although your installation looks great, Lucas does not recommend having a filter before the pump, as a clogged filter will cause the pump to burn out. According to Lucas, the pump is capable of operating with a substantial amount of dirt passing through but will overheat if run empty of fuel. They do, however, approve of having a filter located after the pump to prevent debris from causing carburetor problems.

Ray (64BJ8P1)

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight

Bob;
Very nice web site..
Have only been able to get partly through it, but quite nice.

OP
Robert560

Robert560

Ray, thanks for the tip! Is this recommendation from Lucas in a document somewhere? I've not hear that before. To be honest, I'm struggling a bit to see how a clogged filter could burn out the pump... unless it was somehow going dry, from an upstream air leak or something. Otherwise I would think it would just cavitate, which I wouldn't expect to burn anything out - unless you let it continue to do that for a very long time, which wouldn't happen anyway because the car wouldn't be able to start if the filter was actually clogged to that extreme.

At any rate, it's no longer on the car anyway... due to a compression fitting sealing problem that I just couldn't get to go away. For now I've just been running with only the pump filter screen. Someday I'll add another filter somewhere. Just one of many things still on the to-do list :smile:

~Bob

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee

Thanks BOB !! That really shed some light on all my rears of going ahead with this project. So it's the same as my AH 3000, right doun to the 60 lbs torque ? I get it all set up while it's clean and dry,torque it doun and see if the shims are right. If they are,then I grease the bearings and put it all together. What about the cone shape spacer,do I grease the inside of it too ?

OP
Robert560

Robert560

Donny_L said:
Thanks BOB !! That really shed some light on all my rears of going ahead with this project. So it's the same as my AH 3000, right doun to the 60 lbs torque ? I get it all set up while it's clean and dry,torque it doun and see if the shims are right. If they are,then I grease the bearings and put it all together. What about the cone shape spacer,do I grease the inside of it too ?

Donny, the way you describe is the way I did it. And yes, I did grease inside the spacer as well... though I think most of it just squeezes back out, as there's not a lot of gap between the spacer I.D and spindle O.D. I tend to get a little excessive with grease, but I figure better too much than too little :smile:

And yup, the torque is the same as well. The video says 60 ft-lbs, while the Healey manual says 40 to 70 ft-lbs. I tightened to 40 ft-lbs, and then tightened further from there until the split pin lined up.

~Bob

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee

Thanks again Bob. I ordered a bunch of parts for different projects on my car and it'll probably be a week or so till they come in. I'm sure I'll be able to sleep easier now that I'm not so worried about putting those bearings together the right way.

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag

Greate site.

As a new owner I like to read as much as possible.
Thanks.

Hans

OP
Robert560

Robert560

Thanks all! I'm glad to hear people are finding it useful. Makes the effort to try to keep everything documented worth it.
:thankyousign: