• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4 Engine start Last minute questions? Up-dated!

SCguy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
TR4 Engine start Last minute questions? Updated!

I'm about ready to give it a go!

A couple of last minute questions...

1.My fuel pump is aftermarket. I dont't see fuel in the glass bowl. Do I need to prime the system? Use starter spray in the carbs?

2. Timing should be close enough if I put everything together right. Correct?

I think that's it. I'm going to get the oil pressure up three or so times and then see what hapopens.

OP
SCguy

SCguy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Re: TR4 Engine start Last minute questions?

Ok another question...

As I attempt to prime the oil system with a drill, spinning the oil pump, everything spins, but I don't notice a build up of pressure.

What should I notice, how long does it take, how fast do I run the drill? will my oil pressure guage show anything?

Bugeye58

Yoda

Are you spinning the pump counter clockwise? I usually get full pressure within 2 seconds using a drill to drive the pump.
Jeff

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

You may want to pour some oil into the pump to prime it. A bit tricky but with a funnel and rubber hose you can do it. direct the oil into the outer side of the filter base. (oil goes into the engine from the center of the filter. Do not even think of starting the engine if you cant get oil pressure.

Bugeye58

Yoda

You should be getting pressure with the flow. Verify that there is oil coming out the gauge line.
Jeff

Merlin63Tr4

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Here is what I did when I had to start my '63 for the first time after extensive engine work:

1) Primed the lubrication system by running the oil pump via an electric drill motor (counterclockwise) until oil flowed out of the valve rockers.

2) Reinstalled and timed the distributor, reinstalled the valve cover.

3) removed the spark plugs and poured about a tablespoon full of engine oil into the cylinders, left spark plugs off.

4) Cranked engine over using the starter to verify oil pressure would build up, this also primed the fuel system ( your fuel bowl should be full ).

5) Reinstalled spark plugs.

6) Started engine and ran it at around 2K RPM for 20 minutes or so to break in the cam and lifters.

7) Checked for leaks and shut it down.

Have fun.

D.C.R.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag

Before starting the engine I'd check the plug wires for firing order, and I'd definitely time it "static" using your front turn signal/parking light bulb or a spare.

You'll need the key on, then rotate the distributor while the front pulley is at TDC. Rotate with the rotor first pointing at plug no. 1. Rotate until the test light/bulb just comes on.

You can line up the pulley hole with the timing cover pointer at TDC, with the rotor pointing at plug no. 1. Then, after you're done, adjust for 4 degrees BTDC by using the dial on the distributor.

Any decent manual will show you how to wire up the bulb, but some folks put the negative lead from the bulb on one of the two valve cover bolts, and the positive is (as I recall) the coil terminal that leads to the distributor.

You probably knew all of this, and I wish I had a handy manual to copy and post. Good luck.

G

I say just crank it. If after about 5-10 seconds, you don't see it starting to turn over, then consider priming the pump. You will get oil up and quick. I think that the exercise to do all that is questionable if it is really that effective.

OP
SCguy

SCguy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

OK Here's the update!

I put a couple of squirts of gas in the carbs and turned the key. It seemed to want to start right up, but clearly wasn't getting gas. Apparently my recently "sealed gas tank was just that! I cleared the plug and... it started right up with me giving it steady gas and holding the choke open. I ran it that way for twenty minutes at 2000 rpms. Sounded great no problems.

The car wouldn't idle, or run smoothly without giving it gas and the choke, but I didn't really try anything as I was just trying to make sure everything was working. I notice late that the idle screw was all the way out.

The temp got up to 1/2, maybe a little over and stayed there. Oil pressure stayed at 60 pounds (even after the engine was off. I think my guage is junk!) Amps were plus 10, no leaks! (spoke too soon... my front stromberg is leaking from the mixture adjusting screw at the bottom of the carb.)

I decided to drain the oil which looked light grey, but without anything noticable in it.

Merlin63Tr4

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Was this fresh engine oil ? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif If it was better do at least a couple of more oil and filter changes at least within the first 100/200 miles or the first hour or two of operation. The carb leak is usually the o-ring for the jet carrier.... sounds like rebuild time..... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

D.C.R.

Bugeye58

Yoda

TR6BILL said:
I think that the exercise to do all that is questionable if it is really that effective.

Bill, over in the Spridget forum, there is someone who just started a 1500 without "doing all that."

She's now having all the damage repaired that zero oil pressure created.

Running the pump with a drill to verify the oil pressure adds maybe 30 minutes to the initial startup time. A worthy investment in my eyes.
Jeff

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Good on ya, Larry!

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight

I like merlin's method except I think less oil in the cylinders is better.When the oil pressure has been verified, just squirt a little gas into the chambers and re-install the plugs. It will start right up!!
md (mad dog)