• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4 engine rebuild best coating for fig 8 gaskets?

britlover

I'm ready to put my new 89mm sleeves in the block, and I think those steel figure 8 gaskets should have some kind of head gasket dressing or something on them. I have the copper headgasket spray from permatex, OR the Indian head headgasket dressing that brushes on.

Any recommendations?

BTW, I'm new on here. Hello everyone-- I've owned my TR4A for over 24 years. I bought it from the original owner, and drove it in High School and College. I'm now doing a full nut and bolt restoration largely to original specs, though I want the engine to have a bit more grunt. I also own a '74 Mini that I've transplanted a Honda B18 driveline into. Looks like a good forum, glad to be here.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Welcome, and congratulations on holding onto that car for so long--and caring for it. I have two 4As and feel quite spoiled for the privilege. They are great cars. You'll learn a lot from the folks here and have a good time sharing experiences.

There are others who know far more than do I, but having rebuilt two TR engines, my recommendation is that you use copper figure 8 gaskets and "Wellseal" as your sealer between those and the liners.

You will see that product recommended by Moss and others.

Good luck and please post plenty along the way.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Welcome! I too have had my first TR4A since high school (32 years now) which needs a second restoration now.

Unfortunately I can't help you on the figure 8 gaskets as I left the sleeves in when I rebuilt the engine back in the early 80s. It was my first engine and I was afraid I wouldn't get them back in correctly (and didn't have all the resources we have today!).

Scott

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've always used Permatex #3 on those gaskets, never had a problem. The 3A engine I partially rebuilt back in 73 (parked in the side yard in the snow) still runs today, so I guess it worked OK.

No doubt Wellseal would be fine too, but it wasn't readily available back then (Moss didn't even sell Triumph parts).

If that is Indian Head Gasket shellac, it should work too.

61tr3

Freshman Member
I used Permatex's black magic sealent on three TR3 engines that I've built over the last 7 years. No leaks so far

OP
britlover

britlover

I put the liners in today with Permatex Indian head shellac. One surprise I had was that the liners dropped right in all the way to the shoulder in the block. Shouldn't they be tighter than that? I expected to have to at least tap them in with a block of oak and a hammer. They really don't seem to be very tight when they're seated either.

On a different note- anyone know which way the number 2 piston ring goes? it has a step in its outer edge, and I don't know if the step faces down or up. No markings on the ring that I can see...

Thanks for all the responses and welcomes, by the way!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There is some variation, but generally they go in pretty easy. That's why the book says you have to clamp them in place if you turn the engine with the head off (so the friction from the piston rings doesn't lift the liners out of the block).

The notch in the outside edge goes to the bottom.
https://www.federalmogul.com/korihandbook/en/section_19.htm

OP
britlover

britlover

The middle rings appear to be only stepped-- no noticeable taper. I did finally notice very faint markings to indicate the top on the non- stepped side. The number one compression rings looked to have a slight taper and they too had extremely faint markings once I wiped them down with thinner.

I think I'm good to go on these now, have the liners in and clamped down, pistons on rods with rings installed. Now just need to sweet-talk the machine shop into finally finishing my crank grind/ balance so I can put it together.

Liners are 89mm, skimmed the head .030 and did a bit of light porting, softened the combustion chamber edges. Have a BP 270 cam for it. Hoping for somewhere in the neighborhood ov 120Hp with a very bog-standard appearance to the engine.