• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Uh oh, not the dreaded 1500 thrust washer...

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hey all, with the nice weather I had this weekend, I fired up the Midget for about a half hour, same as I've been doing periodically throughout the winter. Well, I've got a new noise that's a bit unsettling. Once it started, there was a bit of a shriek coming from the nether regions of the engine, which got worse when I stepped on the clutch. After about 15 seconds it went away after a few seconds, and no noise when I stepped on the clutch. The oil pressure was fine, the engine has about 30,000 miles on it, and the clutch release bearing was replaced two years ago. Could this be the sound of a dying thrust washer? I found this link to a guy who made a better thrust washer, which despite being for a TR-6 is actually the same part.
https://britishcarweek.org/tr6.html
I guess the next thing I could do would be to see if I can get a dial gauge and actually measure the end play, but the noise was not pleasant. I just know that last year I didn't find any thrust bearings in the oil pan, but could it be time to maybe invest in some new ones?
-Dave

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Think I just might check the fan belt first.

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
Dave, you can't know for sure until you actually measure shaft endplay. It isn't a very difficult job to change them if it is necessary. It can be done with the engine still in the car. You can probably borrow a dial and base from Autozone. Good luck bud, I wouldn't run the motor till I knew for sure. I've never heard what bad thrust bearings sounds like but I would have thought it would be more of a knock than a squeal.
JC

OP
sparkydave

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks guys. I'm not optimistic that it's the fan belt since it seemed to be coming from the rear of the engine, and it didn't sound much like a belt slipping. I'll try to get a peak at it tonight and see if I can get a better idea of where it's coming from. Stepping on the clutch made it go from a relatively low pitch to a much higher pitched squeal.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
May I suggest the next thing to check is the throwout bearing and stuff in there. Thrust bearings never wear out before the main and journals go. Thorow out bearing would make little noise till clutch was pushed in then it would raise heck.

Morris

Yoda
I think you are right about the throw-out Jack, but on the 1500, the thrust washers wear out 15 minutes before they are installed.

I have the oil pan off my car now, and I would say checking/changing the thrust washer is a 1.5 hour job tops if you don't have to change the oil pan gasket. Might be worth the effort just for the peace of mind.

OP
sparkydave

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
(crossing fingers)Oh please don't let it be the release bearing. I don't have fond memories of replacing the clutch last time. My extra set of hands already said he might be sick the next time we have to pull the engine :smile:. Would it be a valid test to go wedge a big screwdriver in the clutch arm and push it back as far as it can to pull the bearing away from the springs? Then if the noise is still there once the car is started (remembering not to step on the clutch), would that rule out the release bearing?

OP
sparkydave

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Actually, if it is the release bearing, why would it be quiet once it's warmed up for only 15 seconds? Unless the grease in the bearing is just thick from the cold, wouldn't it always be making noise?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The bearing would warm up. Hmmmm. Darn if I know. Got to remember it is a LBC anything can happen.

Just does not sound like thrust bearings to me. Maybe some one else has an answer.

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
The more I read the description, the more I really don't think it is the thrust washers Dave. If you can't get your hands on a dial indicator, I can box mine up and ship it to you for a couple of days. That is the only way you will ever know is to measure end play.
JC

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A "Quick 'n Dirty" thrust washer check:

(Engine OFF, please)Pull the belt(s) off. Wedge the clutch pedal down, use a "suitable" pry tool to push firmly (not excessively) on the crank damper to force the crank to the rear. Tape a piece of broom straw, or a shaved chopstick to the damper so it is pointing to ANYTHING attached to the block or a spot on the crossmember, very close and note CAREFULLY where it points (some talc powder and a scribe mark if possible)... let out the clutch and look again. It AIN'T precise, but if the washer's SHOT it'll tell you for sure. Poor man's dial indicator.

All that aside, it sounds more like the T/O bearing to me. The washer disappearing doesn't usually make "screeching" sounds, or any "noise" unless it's really-really bad/missing entirely. In the bigger TR engines I've seen 'em go to the point where the clutch slips as a result, and no noise!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Guess you could use a bit of tape for the straw to point to.

Just a small detail from North Florida Doc. Hehe, thats a great idea btw.

sounds to me like the pilot bushing, spun free for a moment .....just went thru this with elvis's car. it would only squeal when engaging the clutch from a standing start.

mark

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Doc:

you never cease to amaze me.

[/ QUOTE ]

*blink-blink* HUH? I'm not just a pretty face y'know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif