• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Uh Oh, I do I really have a 1969?

cl_miata

Up to this point I have always assumed that I had a 69 MG Midget, it has the 60's bumpers, steering wheel, wheels, even the tailights say 69 on them. I had always assumed that since my wheel wells are round, that the information that a 69 should have the squared ones was bad, well today I received my 1969 Midget brochure in the mail, and it shows the square wheel wells. Is it possible that I still have a 69, or did someone rig up the VIN number somewhere down the road?

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
That VIN has been changed or else someone has taken the time and effort to install later RWA inner and outer quarter panels and wheel wells onto your earlier body. Look up inside the rear wheel wells, if there are no signs of any welding or a seam then I'd bet it's a later shell with the early VIN tag. RWA bodys were produced for 1971-72-73- and early 74 models before the installation of the true rubber bumpers and 1500 engine in later 74.
This isn't all that unusual since all the mechanical components are so interchangable to the shell many cars have been "reshelled" to eliminate rust of replace major collision damage. Hey, be happy, you have a RWA body which will allow you much more latitude when it comes to selecting wheels and tires.

OP
C

cl_miata

I just took a look, and I dont see any welding marks anywhere, but it is so coroded under there, and years worth of dirt that I dont think it would be all that possible to see, Is there any vin tags anywhere on the car that I could match it up to, or any other tings I could look at?

Country flag
It is also possible that they seamed two cars together. Is there evidence that the original color inside the trunk doesn't match the original color on the front frame rails?

Is the blower motor inside the heater box or out?

OP
C

cl_miata

Well, the frant frame rails were 100% rusted gone, as in the first 12" in were pretty much non-existent so I had the frame re-welded, so I dont know the color of the front frame rails. The car was originally blue, repainted brown. Which the trunk is brown also. The blower motor is separate of the heater box though, My uncle who is visiting suggested the simple fact that the car possibly got hit, and the owner found used rear fenders that were round and replaced them with those.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
What wheels do you have? '69's had a unique Rostyle wheel. & 69 cars had the VIN on a tag riveted to the dash top so it could be seen from the outside.

Look at the front right shock absorber mounting just behind the shock absorber to see if there's a VIN there...you may have to clean it since the paint makes it hard to find.

OP
C

cl_miata

Well I have the center lock wire wheels just like in the brochure... will go take a look by the shock absorber

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
A photo or 2 might help us....what's the dash look like...what's the grille, etc.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This is infinitely better than a Tom Clancy novel! :wink:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Have you read the new W.E.B. Griffin, just came out the 4 of Aug??

OP
C

cl_miata

The vin tag under the bonnet mathes the one on the dash, but here are some pictures, I would have attached them, but they were to large, and didnt feel like making them smaller

Photo0076.jpg

Photo0060.jpg

Photo0061.jpg

Photo0178.jpg

Country flag
That is a '69 that someone "rounded" the arches. There are no flares present.

OP
C

cl_miata

Well what also interests me is that the trunk has the 70s MG badge (1 piece)

Country flag
'69 was the year they transitioned to the "facelift" cars. I think yours should still have the older tail lamps. And your front fenders are from a later model with thin chrome bumpers.

Country flag
... and something is not correct about your rear bumper...

OP
C

cl_miata

Uh oh... whats wrong with my bumpers? and so are you saying my front fenders are not correct also?

Country flag
The front fenders should have the turn signals in the higher location. Your rear bumper looks like it is mounted too low, but I can not work out what is different because your license plate height looks correct. I might need to get my book out.

OP
C

cl_miata

Ah ok, well I am send off an email to the gentleman I bought the car off of to see if he knows anything, in the 20 year history I have of the car I show no records for any body modifications, but the tail lights have been replaced, but the covers do say "69" on them but my 1969 brochure does show the front turn signals in the same place as mine, and even though there are no rear shots, the bumper appears to be the same height

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
1. The RWA's were grafted on by a PO - not factory.

2. Q: What is the VIN?

3. Q: Are the VIN tags rectangular or rounded off on the corners?

4. It has '69 side marker lights.

5. I'd like to see photos of the seats without those aftermarket slip covers.

6. Bumpers are off an earier model & are incorrect for a car built after Oct
69....Again, we need the VIN to help.

7. Actually, everything hinges on the VIN as '69 was a transition year.

After I see the VIN & some photos of the seats & dash, I can clarify things a bit more.