• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trying to get my motor started

doughairfield

Jedi Trainee
Trying to get the motor started in the TR4 for the first time post re-build.

I set the distributor up to the best of my ability per the manual, though it still seems kind of like magic that it works. The engine is trying to turn over, but I'm getting a white vapor that is coming out of the carburetors after a few tries and then it stops trying to turn over.

I verified that I do have spark on the plugs and I'm getting fuel. Also the combustion chamber is full of a white vapor as well.

Could someone point me in the right direction? I'm assuming the timing is pretty far off.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Doug - just to help us point you in the right direction ...

You say "after a few tries and then it stops trying to turn over."

Do you mean the starter stops cranking? Or do you mean the plugs are firing and then they stop firing (even tho' you're still cranking with the starter)?

And of course, do you smell gasoline in the carbs?

Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
doughairfield said:
The engine is trying to turn over,
Needs new motor mounts!
:jester:

Seriously, can you be a bit more specific? "Turn over" means different things to different people (proving that one doesn't need a big pond to be separated by a common language).

My guess would be that you are 180 degrees out on the timing, meaning #4 is getting spark when #1 is ready to fire. One quick check is to put your finger over the #1 plug hole and crank the engine with the dizzy cap off (a remote starter switch or a helper will make this easier). When the engine blows your finger off the hole, the rotor should be pointing to #1.

OP
doughairfield

doughairfield

Jedi Trainee
The starter is turning the engine over but the engine never takes over and runs on it's own.

I did verify the ignition wires are in the correct place, I labeled them when I took them off.

The white vapor coming back out of the carbs when it back fires and is present in the combustion chamber when I removed the spark plug to check for spark does smell like gas.

I'm pretty sure I set the driving slot pointing towards the No. 1 push rod when I put it in with the engine at TDC, but perhaps I got it in 180 degrees off, I'll check using Randall's method ASAP.

OP
doughairfield

doughairfield

Jedi Trainee
I did have the driving slot for the distributor pointing in correct direction, but it was just 180 degrees off. I pulled the pedestal off and reoriented the gear as best I could this morning in relation to TDC per the manual.

I tried to get the motor to start again and it did sound better, thought it was going to start, but then a big puff of gas scented smoke out of the front carburetor. I may still be a few teeth off on that driving gear. Any suggestions on how to know if it is perfectly lined up with where it is supposed to be before putting the pedestal and distributor back on?

hondo402000

Darth Vader
that white smoke you speak of is just vaporized gas backfiring thru the carb. I would bring No1 Cylinder to top dead center by the marks on the damper, pull the valve cover off and make sure both valve stems are up and should have play in the rocker arms, if one is going down or down, then No 1 piston is not on the firing stroke. I NO1 piston is at Top dead center, 0 on the timing mark then the distributor rotor should be pointing at no 1 plug wire. if not your 180 off. then pull the dist off, and pull the drive gear out and rotate 180 degrees and put it back together. Leave the dist loose so when you crank it you can move the dist to get it to fire and run then adjust timing

hope this helps

Hondo

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Now that you've got the right rotation; just reset the static timing as per the book. That should be plenty close enough to get it started.

Of course there may be other problems as well. Backfiring through the carbs like that may indicate mixture too lean (not enough choke).

Dono

Prior post mentioned the timing being 180 deg off. The firing order is 1-3-4-2, so ensure that when the distrib cap is off, that the plug wires fire in the order matching that pattern. If I recall, the cyls are numbered front to rear.