• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Car goes "click" when trying to start - the fix

MGNoir

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Car goes "click" when trying to start - the fix

OK, this post is sort of like a public "note to self" and also "note to anyone else with this problem. I searched quite a bit for a solution, but never could find the right one online. Maybe if someone else has the same problem, their search will find this post and they will know what to do :smile:

-----------------------------------
The Problem
Your car is running fine, the battery is charged and in general there are no problems. You go out to start it, maybe even just after driving, you turn the key, and all you get is a "CLICK" from under the dash.

What's Wrong
The starter has engaged with the ring and is stuck.

What I Tried Doing
I tried jump starting it (even though I knew the battery was OK). I tried pushing the button on the back of the starter solenoid to turn over the engine. I tried push starting it.

Actually pushing the solenoid button and push starting the car sometimes worked, but I think only by luck that it managed to disengage the starter from the ring gear.

The Real Fix
After having the car get in the "CLICK" mode and me being unable to do any of my tricks to start it, I gave up and had it towed to a guy in San Antonio who used to have the MG dealership down here "back when". He told me what the real problem was, and he told me the fix. OK the fixes. REAL fix is get a new ring gear. But the "Field Fix" is to do this...

1) Put the car in gear
2) Brake off
3) Rock the car back and forth until starter disengages

Now I know.

And now you know.

And now people searching the internet using the kinds of keywords I used may find this post :^)

MikeP

Jedi Knight
Re: Car goes "click" when trying to start - the fix

If the starter is the older non pre engaged type you may need to clean the drive end as they tend to pickup oil and dirt and can get "gummy". No need to disassemble the starter to do this, just remove and clean the end until the gear slides easily up and down and moves back to the end by itself. Carb or brake cleaner works well for this and evaporates quickly. Then either reinstall dry or with a dry lubricant, never use grease or oil as that will attract dirt and you'll eventually end up in the same place again.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag

I carry a small, really small adjustable box wrench tucked up under the passenger shelf for this very reason. The Bendix is stuck and with the small box wrench you can turn it back in and car will magically start. Only took getting stuck once to resolve this one for me as box wrench is absolutely needed item to carry in car at all times.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker

It happens to many of us, either rock the car in 4th gear or twist the end of the armature that sticks out of the starter with a wrench to free it up.
I bought a car with a "seized" engine which turned out to be a stuck starter.
That car ran fine and I stole it for a hundred bucks :wink:

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag

MGTD with the xpag engine did the exact same thing. Put it in 4th.... Rock it back and forth until you hear it click.... start her up and away you go. People in the parking lot think you look like a complete nut but if it works it works. Much easier than getting a wrench down in that scorching hot area in the boiling sun.

OP
M

MGNoir

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

** UPDATE **
=============================
Went out and manually turned the starter via the shaft again, and now it's all unstuck. Maybe the rule should be "rotate shaft, rock car, repeat as necessary"

Now to charge up the low battery...
=============================

Bumping my own post here.

I just had the Midget shipped from Texas to Oregon, and when it got here, it was exhibiting all the traits of this problem. Turn key. Click. "No problem," thinks I. "I have left myself a note on the internet!"

So I tied rocking it back and forth vigorously in both 4th and reverse several times, no luck.

Then I tried turning square shaft sticking out of starter end (pointing forward) and turned it a bit, no luck.

Any suggestions for round 2 fix?

tomshobby

Yoda

This should be the starter you have.
The problem you are having would most likely come from 4 areas or a combination of one or more of them.
1) Like already mentioned the Bendix may be sticking. Could be from dirt and grease and/or a weak or broken spring.
2) The commutator might not be even which can cause the brushes to loose contact.
3) The brushes might be worn or uneven causing the same problem as #2.
4) One or more of the brush springs might be weak or broken which would cause the brush to not make good contact.

I cleaned this starter with electrical contact cleaner. Used some emery on the shaft bearing area and placed a dab of grease in the bushings when it was reassembled. I also replaced the brushes and my brother turned the commutator for me. A squirt of paint and it looks and works like new. Or, I could have spent about $100 for a new one.

Hi Jim! How did the airplane turn out?

dklawson

Yoda

Since the problem has returned, there is one other thing I suggest you check.

You mentioned you have the pushbutton solenoid. If it is an original (old) one, ignore what I am about to suggest. If it is a replacement solenoid purchased during the past 5 years, suspect the solenoid. The imported pushbutton solenoids currently for sale are extremely unreliable. I have had three fail after short periods of operation. When broken they will still "click" when you give them power. However, the moving contact that is supposed to be secured with a clip to the internal shaft of the solenoid can easily pop-off rendering the solenoid useless.

The easy test for this is to try and jumper across the threaded terminals of the solenoid to see if the starter motor spins.

Tremelune

After my starter debacle, I decided to purchase a gear reduction starter. No more Bendix issues, no more grinding the flywheel--the starter gear is always meshed with the flywheel, it is engaged by an internal clutch in the starter. Also, they have their own solenoid...

I haven't done it yet, but there are plenty of positive tales here.