• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4A IRS trailing arm bushing question

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi guys - do the rear axles need to come out of a TR4a IRS car to change the TA bushings? Traveling and don't have my manual handy....

Thanks!

TR4A_IRS

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I don't think so, but it would be much easier with the TAs on a bench, I presume. I removed my axles and TAs when I did the job.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Tom,

I know that on a 6 you can take the whole trailing arm off as one unit by just seperating the sliding axle at the splines. You can leave the other 1/2 attached to the diff.

Keep in mind though that emergency brake cables and brake lines would have to be disconnected.

Not sure what you are trying to do, but I thought that I would answer the question directly.

Cheers,
Tush

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Tom,

Do you have a reason to not remove the half-shafts? My experience is that is so easy compared to removing the bushing and I can't imagine replacing them without having the trailing arm on the bench with the half-shafts removed.

Scott

HerronScott

Darth Vader
M_Pied_Lourd said:
I know that on a 6 you can take the whole trailing arm off as one unit by just seperating the sliding axle at the splines. You can leave the other 1/2 attached to the diff.

Tush,

If I'm recalling correctly, the original TR4A half-shafts have a threaded cap which I believe keeps the half-shafts from separating without unscrewing the cap, but it's just 4 bolts/nuts to separate it from the differential.

Scott

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks guys - now that she has the rebuilt engine and O/D in her I was just getting itchy to drive her. I'll slow down and do it right....

Sorry for the crappy Blackberry pictures.

enginerebuiltandinstalled7-21-10.jpg

All original paint still - badly needs a proper go with rubbing compound...

enginerebuiltandinstalled7-21-10_2.jpg

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Tom,

I think you better put the brake and clutch master cylinders in first before you try to drive her! :smile:

So this is your rebuilt engine and overdrive in the new TR4A that you just bought?

Scott

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
HerronScott said:
Tom,

I think you better put the brake and clutch master cylinders in first before you try to drive her! :smile:
Picky picky picky.... LOL.

HerronScott said:
Tom,

So this is your rebuilt engine and overdrive in the new TR4A that you just bought?

Hard to keep track - I'm a bit of a nut. Rich - insert witty comment here ___________________.

This is actually the '68 IRS that I picked up about 9 months ago. I pulled the engine and trans (the rusty OD thread from the fall if you remember), had them both rebuilt, I rebuilt the front suspension and had to do some minor welding (new gussets and other repairs).

I'm going to try and pick up the new '66 later today.

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
tdskip said:
Hard to keep track - I'm a bit of a nut. I don't know why you guys can't keep it straight. These pictures are of stock # tdskip0567Z and the car that needs the engine is stock # tdskip0834Q. Is it really that hard to stay unconfused?

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I hope he gets that price. Mine is not quite, um, quite that nice however as it is missing the Ferrari badge on the front...

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Gratuitous picture of the OD in the '68 TR4a Forgive me, but I'm kind of excited to be putting things back on a car for a change. :laugh:

Engineandtransinstalled7-22-10.jpg

Need to clean up the floors.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
tdskip said:
This is actually the '68 IRS that I picked up about 9 months ago. I pulled the engine and trans (the rusty OD thread from the fall if you remember), had them both rebuilt, I rebuilt the front suspension and had to do some minor welding (new gussets and other repairs).

I'm going to try and pick up the new '66 later today.

Shoot, I missed an update to my Tom's car collection scorecard! I promise to try and do better. :smile:

I do wish my cars had come with floorboards as nice as this one (although my second TR4A actually isn't too bad).

Scott

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Forgive me, but I'm kind of excited to be putting things back on a car for a change.[/QUOTE]

Tom, I'd just like to know how you keep track of everything that you're doing? How do you know what went off or on with all of those projects going at the same time???

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Brosky said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Forgive me, but I'm kind of excited to be putting things back on a car for a change.

Tom, I'd just like to know how you keep track of everything that you're doing? How do you know what went off or on with all of those projects going at the same time??? [/QUOTE]

I take pretty good notes and bag everything with labels and keep the bits separated. I know I'm breaking just about every rule of how to do this but they are still coming along (or at least seem to be).