• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR-4A FI street engine on the dyno at JB Racing.

nissanite

The focus was lots of torque. 150lbft from 3200 to 5000 and 143 hp at 5600. Going on the chassis today then of to the body shop to have the new black body lowered down. Only been 8 years but now showing progress

3 min vid shows start up, first run at 5000 with throttle at 6%,12,18,24 and 30%. Watch the header change color. next runs are power sweeps to 5500 & then 6000.

Very exciting (for me)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8h5o3QVPSI&list=FLEAUFEk4GZv2_mUyqunPqoQ&feature=mh_lolz

V

vagt6

Nice, big numbers for a street engine (I assume it's not a race car).

Please give us the build info on the engine: what's in there? And while we're at it, what about the suspension, etc?

Congrats, you're gonna love driving that TR. :yesnod:

Monkeywrench

Jedi Trainee
Great street engine numbers. Square power figures are always nice! Sounds like you did your homework.

I too am interested in details.

OP
nissanite

nissanite

65 second owner TR4A IRS
ratco frame - Goodparts diff & cv axles, hubs, front sway bar, coil over aluminum shocks, Porsche Boxter Ft brakes with stoptech rotors and aluminum hubs.Datsun 280zx custom rear disc brakes. Panasport with Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity. All steel parts have been nickel plated. Aluminum anodized.

engine - JB Racing built this with my his and my parts. 91mm custom made liners, Prepped crank, Revington Sprint cam, Kinsler one off intake with Haltech injection. Pauter rods Wisco pistons, goodparts roller rocker with stainless valve train form cambridge motorsports. ported polished. Custom one of a kind rear oil seal. lightend flywheel with custom damper pulley. 100 amp alternator. stainless header. building mandrel bent 2.25 stailess exhaust with Vibrant stainless twin rea mufflers & single resonator. Was talked out of being novel by cancelling the cat converter plan. ( attempt at being green )

rebuilt trans with O-drive

Body is at Freds Healey revival being painted black. should have body back on frame by March.

I know --- PICS

hondo402000

Darth Vader
DO you have the print out on AF ratio, usually when the headers start glowing red you are running lean

Hondo

OP
nissanite

nissanite

The air fuel ratio never went leaner than 13.3.
The engine was set at 5000 and the load was increased from 6% in 6% increases to 30%. That is when the pipes started glowing.

Chris Ludwig from Ludwig Motorsports is a Haltech dealer. He performed remote tuning from Indy to the shop near Orlando. It was amazing.

hermanmaire

Jedi Hopeful
Why did they talk you out of the Cat? I plan to install a sports cat mainly to kill the exhaust stink that I cannot stand.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I hope you can keep a crank together, racers go to the Moldex crank for revs much over 5000 which you'll be temped to do on a frequent basis............I know I would!

Monkeywrench

Jedi Trainee
Stock crank should be okay if prepped. I think most racers on a stock crank are shifting at 6000rpm. Billets will go well over 7000rpm.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Just curious. What is difference/advantage/disadvantage of getting the horsepower this way as opposed to installing a supercharger?

Monkeywrench

Jedi Trainee
Advantages:

Better throttle response
Less parts (potentially more reliable)
Bling factor

Disadvantages:
More expensive
Have to do your homework before you start buying parts

The why:

Why not? No one has a build like this, and superchargers aren't all that uncommon.

JeffS

Jedi Trainee
I'm not sure I'd trust AFR numbers if they read 13.3 and the headers were glowing red. Its either a bad sniffer or a vacuum leak that's just not registering due to the location of the O2 sensor. Red headers are a serious reason to shut down and investigate!!!

Bremer

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Very nice. Would you mind sharing details about your big bore liners, such as where you got them made and what needed to be done to the block to make them fit? Photos would be nice, too!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
It changed color <span style="font-style: italic">slightly</span>, but it never glowed red.

BTW, beautiful job on that engine. I'd like to hear more about the FI system.