• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR 3# cooling adventures

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
As a result of this forum and advice from the local TR group, I worked on resolving my over-heating problem that occurs with stop and go traffic when the temp is above about 80 degrees. I started by flushing the cooling system. It looked pretty darned clean coming out but I went ahead and put in plain water plus dishwashing powder and drove around on two occasions for 10-15 minutes each until the engine got good and hot. It continued the same over-heating pattern as usual.
I put in a 160 degree thermostat (with only minimal gasket goop to hold the gaskets in place) and took out the 180 that was in there. I'll test it later to see when it actually opens. I then put in new antifreeze and water and took it up to the car wash to clean the external radiator in the radiator of any debris, etc. Sunday it was about 88-90 degrees (and 80% humidity). I drove it to a car show and then from place to place for about 30 minutes in stop and go traffic. It hung in there at about 178-182 degrees. So far, so good but I'd like to test it further before I declare it a success. The TR6 fan or elec fan is next if that doesn't do it.

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
does the block drain work? did you flush back from that location?

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

Sounds like you are on track with this. I do think TRs were sort of under-engineered for cooling, probably because the British climate is seldom very toasty and certainly not arid.

What sort of thermostat are you using? Is it a sleeved one?

These are harder to find and a lot more expensive than the common type found at most auto parts stores. (Last time I checked, Moss and The Roadster Factory has them.) But, a sleeved t'stat is specified for TRs and is important, because otherwise the bypass hose will tend to route too much water right back into the engine before it goes through the radiator and is cooled. As it responds to the engine warming up and opens, the sleeve on the t'stat gradually covers up the bypass hose opening.

It *is* possible to use the cheaper, common type of t'stat from your local auto parts store, but the bypass hose needs to be partially blocked off in a somewhat permanent manner. To do this, find something to make a plug that fits inside the hose pretty tightly, then drill a 1/8" hole in that plug to allow some small flow of coolant. Also check that the t'stat has one or more relief holes in it, to allow some pressure through even before it starts to open. (Some cheap ones don't have these holes, in which case 2 or 3 1/16" or slightly larger holes can be carefully drilled and positioned near the top when the t'stat is installed, because these holes also help to purge air from the system when it's being filled.) Personally, I've never felt totally comfortable with this setup and just prefer to use a sleeved t'stat, even though it costs 10X as much and can be hard to track one down! I think there was a Rover or Land Rover using a sleeved t'stat that will work, but haven't been able to confirm this yet.

By itself, a 160 degree t'stat won't actually help resolve overheating problems. The thermostat's rating only relates to what temp the t'stat is fully open, but 160 or 180 should both be fully open and flowing the same amount of coolant at normal operating temps of a TR 4-cyl. engine. (195 "winter" t'stat might be another matter, since it's up close to or just barely within the normal operating temp range of the engine.)

If changing to a 160 happens to make a difference in terms of overheating, that just means the old t'stat was going bad and not fully opening. A new 180 working properly should give the same result. A 160 degree t'stat normally wouldn't hurt anything, will just make the engine warm up more slowly and might drop it a little below "normal operating" temps occasionally. But, that's not usually a problem on TRs, as you know!

You probably also already know, TRs shouldn't be run without a t'stat installed. I've heard it explained that without the slight restriction of the t'stat, coolant pushes through the radiator too quickly, not giving it enough time to cool down. I don't know if this is true or just someone's guess.

But, at any rate, the cars do tend to overheat when no t'stat is used. Racers often don't use t'stats, but also had overheating problems when they left them out of TR 4-cyl. engines entirely. So, a common racer trick is to just heat up the t'stat in a pan on the stove, until it's fully open, then break and jam it in the open position.

Other things you might want to check or consider:

- Insure all air is out of the cooling system. One thing that helps is to jack up the front of the car a bit when filling the coolant, to raise the radiator well above the engine. (I've also seen air relief valves installed in the thermostat housing and/or the heater valve area, to better allow trapped air out.) The 4-cylinder TRs are pretty good at purging air, but it's something to watch out for.

- Is all the radiator shrouding in place? This is perhaps more critical on TR4-6, but is also important on TR2/3s.

- Have you replaced the radiator cap recently? They do get old and tired, need to be replaced occasionally, same as t'stats. Just be sure to get the right cap, which is 4 lb rated on TR3 if I recall correctly. (Note: if your car *doesn't* have a heater installed and the radiator is in good condition, i.e. has been pressure tested by a radiator shop recently, it can help a lot to go to a TR4's 7 lb. or even higher pressure rated rad cap. Higher pressure in the cooling system will help it work more efficiently. The heater core is the limiting factor in TR3, and TR4 for that matter. By TR6, Triumphs were using 12 lb. in the cooling systems. Some modern cars use 20-22 lbs or more.)

- Is there any possiblity a radiator hose is collapsing? Old hoses sometimes do this. Usually it happens with longer hoses, which might be one reason why Triumph used a metal pipe with two short hoses at the bottom of the radiator. If you have the original hose arrangement, it's unlikely, but something that might be worth checking.

- Are you mixing coolant 25% anti-freeze, 75% distilled water? This will give better cooling than the usual 50/50 mix recommended. (A mixture with more anti-freeze should be added to protect from freezing in the Winter, the exact ratio depends upon climate, storage and usage of the car.)

- Has the radiator been repainted lately? If so, was special "thin coat" rad paint used and the old paint removed first, or is there a build-up of layers of thick paint? Thick paint can really reduce radiator effectiveness. Once source I know of, which sells radiatior paint that covers completely with a very thin coat, is Eastwood Co.

- Does your radiator have the crank hole in it? If so, this reduces radiator effectiveness by about 20%, but blocking of a significant number of the internal passages. About thhe only way to resolve this is to have the radiator re-cored without the hole.

- Has the radiator ever been re-cored? It's not all that expensive and most local rad shops can do it for you. Talk to them, they might also be able to suggest some upgrades that add little cost and look original.

- A second or even third engine flush, perhaps with a proper flushing additive this time, might dislodge some more rust or crud in there. Unfortunately, there's not much more that can done for the internal engine until the next time it's rebuilt.

- Try Redline's "Water Wetter" or other coolant enhancements (DEI and others offer them, too). Some folks report these help a bit.

In addition to the possible TR6 fan or electric fan, you might consider:

- Install an improved, 6-vane water pump (Ken at www.britishframeandengine.com sells them, among others). This will move more coolant through the engine. These aren't cheap, but will likely help. The special, 6-bladed rotor in these pumps was primarily designed for racing, to reduce cavitation at high rpms (this is basically where the impellor is spinning so fast that it causes the fluids to stand off and creates a sort of "bubble" around itself, so really isn't moving the coolant much or at all). But, it is simply a better made and more effective design that can help at lower rpm ranges too.

- Another option is to install an oil cooler. Oil helps cool the engine, too. If this is done, be sure to use a thermostat for the oil cooler, too (usually 185 degree) because overly-cooled oil can be just as bad for an engine as overheated. A 10-row cooler is generally adequate for the TR engine. But, alternatively, 13-row and 16-row are sometimes used.

- Vent the engine compartment somehow. I'm not sure the best way to do this on a TR3, probably louvers in the hood would be about the only option. TR4s can use fender vents. Some other Triumphs (and many other cars) came with vents installed. Not only does this reduce underhood temps by allowing the hot air to escape, it allows a higher volume of air into the compartment (where it normally "dams up" at speed).

- Install a "header tank" for the radiator, which is something found on nearly all modern cars and is not the same as an overflow tank.

- If you do install an electric fan, a "puller" mounted behind the radiator is more effective than a "pusher" installed in front (and hidden by the shroud). This is because a fan in front of the radiator actually blocks some of the flow, even when it's running.

- If you do mount an electric "puller" fan behind your radiator, the original fan will need to be removed. Don't remove the fan extension hub, though. It also acts as a sort of dampener for the crankshaft. (It can be replaced with a true, harmonic dampener, though, if you wish).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
J

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for all the input Alan and Jim. Just to respond-- yes I drained the back plug and I found out it was open; but I admit, I forgot about it at first. When I thought I was going to be draining just hot, soapy water after the first flush, I got more antifreeze back.. Then realized I had forgotten the other drain. I did buy a thermostat from Vicky BR (only 10 miles from me) but it is not sleeved. Forgot about that and probably missed in the catalogs. BTW, the old 180 'stat, by stovetop thermometer test, was not opening fully. This radiator does have the crank hole but the radiator seems relatively free of paint and the fins seem clean and pretty straight. Dunno if it has been cored or not. I'll continue to test it and try other options as time allows.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...the bypass hose needs to be partially blocked off in a somewhat permanent manner. To do this, find something to make a plug that fits inside the hose pretty tightly, then drill a 1/8" hole in that...

[/ QUOTE ]

A 3/4" copper pipe cap from the Home Depot fills the hose nicely.

Sounds like the root cause of your problem was the old tstat. As Alan noted, just going with a cooler (160) tstat doesn't eliminate overheating as the tstat sets the engine's minimum operating temp... still, it does buy you some wiggle room in stop-n-go traffic and long stoplights.

startech47

Jedi Knight
NAPA sells the correct radiator caps in 4 and 7 psi versions. You want one for a radiator with a 1" deep radiator neck. The newer caps have a 3/4" depth. These also need to be sealed around the operating shaft. With this seal you can add an overflow container. The radiator fluid will expand and travel into the overflow tank when the engine is hot and be drawn back into the radiator when it cools off. This will purge all air from the cooling system and reduce corrosion and increase cooling.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...These also need to be sealed around the operating shaft. With this seal you can add an overflow container...

[/ QUOTE ]

How does one do that? I had no problem adding a correctly functioning overflow to the TR4 but the TR3 cap sucks (air).

startech47

Jedi Knight
Try a NAPA Balkamp 703-1411 cap. It is a 7psi and has a seal around the central shaft that attaches to the cap. This has ended the antifreeze mess on the garage floor. Now, if the radiator cap could fix all of the oil leaks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Phil

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sounds like a similar problem I had with my Tr3. I did everything you did except I kept the 180 degree stat. Plus I added the plug in the bypass hose. I did change my fan blade too. If originality is a concern, instead of using a Tr6 fan which is a noticeable change to everyone, try a GT6 fan. They are metal, 5 blades with a much greater pitch because they had to cool a 6 cylinder engine and no one has ever noticed that I changed the old original 4 bladed fan. I have had zero problems with over heating now. Good Luck.

OP
J

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
instead of using a Tr6 fan which is a noticeable change to everyone, try a GT6 fan. I have had zero problems with over heating now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool! (pun intended) Did you have to use a different hub for the fan?

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
My TR3 has allways run hotter in the summer in stop and go traffic and will temp out if I do not watch it. A couple of years ago I installed a electric fan and now the temps with the fan on in the same stop and go or just letting it idle to set carbs and such it will stay around 190 t0 195.
Don

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have the original set up on my 56 TR3 with the addition of an electric pusher fan. Under 100 degrees F (Arizona) I don't need to use the electric fan as the stock set up works fine. Over 100 degrees the elec fan keeps things at 185.
The added advantage of the fan is I can idle the car while working on the carbs etc and maintain the 185 degrees indefinately.
I have a 13 row oil cooler (not yet installed) and a TR6 fan that I will put on as I drive regularly in 100+ heat but I will still put the elec fan on so I can work on a running motor with no heat problems.