• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The Prince has found me

Colin_D

Help.

So I take my TR6 out of storage a few months ago and the headlights don't work, I go to drive it today and the directionals don't work, (of course I figure this out when I get home). I did put Halogen headlights in last year and I was planning on buying the heavy duty headlight harness from Victoria British, but now that the blinkers aren't working I'm a little worried.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers,
Colin

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I would check all your connections (standard answer).. I would also check the appropriate grounds (also standard answer).

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Colin_D said:
Has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers,
Colin

*SPUTTER*!! *GASP!!*

NEVER!!! :smirk:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
All grounding points are suspect, all Lucar connectors should be taken apart and cleaned, dielectric grease used upon reassembly. From the symptoms described, the grounds are most likely the culprits.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Being that I answered Colin's question may I ask a question in the same genre?
My Wedge has no flashing blinkers only solid,but the hazard flashes. Does this sound like the blinker flasher. Can the grounds be dirty and the flashers still work?

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here's a kind of odd one, for a while I had a weird situation where the all of the lights on my Jag Etype were acting strangely.

When I had all of the lights off and I used the turn signals only the marker lights would flash. If I turned on just the marker lights both the turn signal and marker lights would come on steady, if I then used the turn signal the marker lights would go off and the turn signal would flash. With the headlights on the marker and turn signal lights didn’t come on, when I used the turn signal the headlights went out and only the rear brake lights flashed.

I ended up tracing thru and cleaning every connection trying to figure out why it was acting so strange. It finally turned out the ground on the rear lights was corroded. When I cleaned that up all of the lights worked perfectly after that.

The lesson that I learned is never underestimate how even one bad ground can make seemingly unrelated parts of the electrical system on these cars misbehave.

So as others have said the first thing I would try is to start to systematically go thru all your electrical connections and clean them up you probably just have a bad ground.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The stock turn flasher unit requires no ground itself; but is rather picky about how much current goes through it. If you've changed bulbs to ones that draw more or less current than original, the flasher may not flash at all. Or anything that causes a high resistance or low voltage in the common part of the circuit can also cause problems (including the hazard switch).

But since the two sides are grounded separately, normally a ground problem will only show up on one side.

Note that it's a different flasher (different part number too) for hazard and turn. The hazard flasher is normally a "load independant" type, so you can try substituting it for the turn flasher (but the original turn flasher won't work right as a hazard flasher).

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
TR3driver said:
The stock turn flasher unit requires no ground itself;
I was talking about the bulb end. If the ground is bad at that end I take it the hazard won't flasher either?

TR3driver said:
Note that it's a different flasher (different part number too) for hazard and turn. The hazard flasher is normally a "load independant" type, so you can try substituting it for the turn flasher (but the original turn flasher won't work right as a hazard flasher).

The turn flasher is a 2 pronged deal as the 6. Isn't the hazard flasher a multi pronged affair?

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Cycle the hazard switch a couple of times. All TS current passes thru the hazard sw, and sometimes they get a little grumpy. Usually cycling the switch will cheer up the contacts. Worth a try anyway.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
DNK said:
I was talking about the bulb end. If the ground is bad at that end I take it the hazard won't flasher either?
No, the hazard flasher is a lot less picky about current; it will flash as long as it sees any current at all.

But since it's different bulbs between left turn and right turn; normally a grounding problem at a bulb shows up as different behavior between left/right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The turn flasher is a 2 pronged deal as the 6. Isn't the hazard flasher a multi pronged affair? [/QUOTE]Could be, as I'm not all that familiar with the TR8 and all it's wiring variations. But the TR8 schematics I have show 2-terminal units for both turn and hazard (same as my Stag).

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Randall you are probably right and you know as much with this car as I do. On my turn flasher I have the LG/W and LG/N going to it.Where is the hazard flasher anybody know?