• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Suspension Modifications to improve Handling and Roadability?

Country flag
Yes that sounds good, I'm afraid the 7/8" bar might be overkill.

Mine might be 7/8" ... I don't recall what I bought and the car is at my folks'. It was one step (1/8"?) larger dia. than stock. Be sure to get the end link kit; the stock links will not handle the additional stress (first-hand experience).

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
That's a sprite/midget bar.

I stand corrected - here's the big Healey correct bar - evidently only in 7/8" and looks like a special order with the long delivery time:
screenshot.704.jpg

D

Deleted member 19315

So following on from all this and other sources my 100/6 with a Rawles tuned 3000 motor on 2 inch SUs alloy head etc etc has the following mods .
7/8 front anti roll bar.
BJ 8 springs.
DW rear anti roll bar.
DW anti tramp bars.
Rear Panhard rod.
30% uprated lever arms.
Negative camber upper bushes.
DW steering box.
New standard rear springs.
Poly bushes everywhere.
All new joints and bearings.
LSD.
5.5 rims.72 spokes.
Veredstien sprints.
Sound like the right direction ?
Never driven it since the refurb' and off for paint so not till next year now??
Andy

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Cape International sells a 19mm (3/4") bar with links for #187.20 = $242.75 plus shipping
Yeah so that pretty much makes the Moss bar the same price. I am afraid the 7/8 " bar may be too much with now rear bar and I don't want a rear bar.

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
FWIW the front springs of BJ8 are stiffer than early cars, so worth fitting. I find that my BJ7 feels vague and underdamped on the front at eighty plus, so could do with them.

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
O.K. so maybe I need to re-think the 7/8" bar. Maybe not too big. The only other mod I have is camber bushings, well and radial tires.

D

Deleted member 19315

Wish I understood whether a rear bar is an improvement or not, guess it's quite personal and I can't judge till I pedal mine but its easy enough to remove and cheap enough not to worry too much. The negative top bushes I fitted are from DW Im not sure I like that they run direct on the bolt and seem very tight between the damper arms. Any observations on the assembly , part of me feels they should have a centre sleeve and end washers ? Or am I over thinking this?

Country flag
... The negative top bushes I fitted are from DW Im not sure I like that they run direct on the bolt and seem very tight between the damper arms. Any observations on the assembly , part of me feels they should have a centre sleeve and end washers ? Or am I over thinking this?

I've had nylon offset bushings in my BJ8 for many years and miles, with no issues. Note you'll only get a degree or so of adjustment.

D

Deleted member 19315

Thanks Bob that's reassurance����

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This weekend is the All-Healey race at Castle Coombe where I'll be helping weigh the cars after practise and competition. If I remember I'll ask for opinions and explanations regarding rear sway bars.

D

Deleted member 19315

Hi Derek I,ll be there too. What colour carnation are you wearing? ! I can be spotted by the newsboy hat, belstaff trail master, fixed grin and snow white hair . Be good to get a view first hand from someone who knows their onions. ?
Andy

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Andy, I'll decide what to wear on saturday morning given the vagaries of our weather! If you are around at the time of weighing just ask for me, I'll be around somewhere. Derek

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This weekend is the All-Healey race at Castle Coombe where I'll be helping weigh the cars after practise and competition. If I remember I'll ask for opinions and explanations regarding rear sway bars.

Derek, this would be great information, plus I'm curious what the degree of negetive camber most racers are running.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Derek

Vagaries of the weather does not come into it, looks to be grim - showers right through, may have to drive up in the Audi instead, though the BJ7 is fuelled up and ready to go, but one must look after the comfort of the Navigator you know.

:cheers:

Bob