• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Suggestions for a color for the TR7V8 DHC

PATR8

Jedi Knight
OK, as I finish up the swap I am already looking forward to the next expense, a new paint job. The current red coat is scratched up and there are a few spots where the paint is bubbling so it is time for a new job after I get to drive it for a few weeks. I am not into original (thus teh swap) but I am looking for a unique color. Eight years ago I had 8 painted copper and with in 3 years it was one of the most popular colors on new cars.

I would like to get a stand out (With out the gag reflex) color not seen regularly on cars. Right now I am leaning to a black/blue metallic because I can not recall ever seeing a 8/7 that color.

Any suggestions, some color unique that has drawn you attention lately? THanks

RSMTR8

Jedi Trainee
British Racing Green. You don't see that color any more, and it will still keep it some what orginal looking.

Rod

OP
PATR8

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I had seriously kicked around BRG the first time but I got fustrated by the fact there are at least 10 different BRGs colors out there and my daughter threatened to dis-own me although my son liked it

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
PATR8 said:
I had seriously kicked around BRG the first time but I got fustrated by the fact there are at least 10 different BRGs colors out there
BRG was never a specific color acknowledged by all. Bascially anything with even a hint of green could be called BRG.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_racing_green

Saw a 2006 Lotus Elise the other day with a very nice (to my eye) dark metal-flake green. I like it even better than the 2005 Dodge Durango green I was going to use before.

OP
PATR8

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I do like the Lotus BRG color. I realize BRG was actually a green to designate the British cars originally but it seems like all LBC companies came up with their own version. SOme I like, some I definately do not, amazing how a few hues darker or lighter can change your perception of the color

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
OP
PATR8

PATR8

Jedi Knight
That is exactly thecolor I was talkin about. I would need some little british flags for on the rear quarters if I did the green to set it off some, nd I woud have to get my panasports painted black. I Like thecombo

TR7/8 TPI

Jedi Hopeful
I am painting mine the same Titanium Silver I painted my buds 930. Not to be confused with BMW's Titanium Silver, this Titanium was only used on late 80's early 90's Lambo Countach and Diablo. It's PPG DBC35989 Base and 2021 Clear.

IMG_04600114.jpg

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]but I am looking for a unique color [/QUOTE]
you are wrestling with one of the hardest decisions in classis car restoration...it's only a little easier if your interior color is changing (or harder depending on how you look at it since your options then are virtually unlimited)....my suggestion is only that you keep it a maintainable color (rock chips, incidents, etc)......GOOD LUCK

OP
PATR8

PATR8

Jedi Knight
One of teh few advantages of not trying to stay complete true to the manifacturer is ability to look a little outside the standard window, Besides with all that great looking black plactic in the interior, it makes matching colors easy

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
BRG was never a specific color acknowledged by all...

True, but for me the color of Jim Clark's Lotus will always be THE British Racing Green.

PATR8 said:
...look a little outside the standard window

I once saw an MGA that was flocked in red & yellow.

D

DougF

If you want it to stand out, mix some pearl into the color. That extra glow will make any color stand out a little among the rest.

OP
PATR8

PATR8

Jedi Knight
My FHC TR8 was a copper-orange metallic, I loved it but the big guys (the major manifacturers) found out that people thought orange was a cool color and now it is every where. I have an idea how I am leaning but please, more ideas. I am easily swayed by good ideas.