• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Steel Wheels for a BJ8

peteatgr

Thinking of changing my original 60 spoke wire wheels for steel wheels. Considering taking an extended trip in the car and don't want to have to shimmy my way across country on out of round wire wheels. Is there a good source for steel rims that fit properly on a BJ8 phase II, can fit a reasonable size tire and can still accept Healey hub caps?

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i dont believe that you can run bolt on wheels without changing out the front hubs and using different brake drums on the rear. you might be able to use your current rear brake drums with a spacer. probably be easier to buy a set of reproduction minilite type spline drive wheels.....sorta expensive for a trip unless you plan to keep them. i just changed my bj7 over to minilite bolt on wheels and i am very pleased with the ride and driveability. my understanding is that the bolt on front hubs for a bj8 are rare and expensive. someone on the forum had a set for a bj8 several months ago.there are others on this forum that are more familiar with other possible choices.

Csarneson

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I second the mini-lite option. Converting your car to steel wheels will be an expensive endeavor that hurts the value of your car. Adding mini-lites is probably about the same cost and add value while looking good as well.

OP
P

peteatgr

Thanks. I was actually thinking of the steel wheels as a possibly less expensive, single trip, option with the wires going back on after. The extra expense, and advice, will make me look again at the condition of the wire wheels and at the mini-lite options.

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Have Allen Hendrix true and check your wire wheels. He is right up the road in Greensboro. Once the wheels are trued you can really enjoy the ride. I know he did Steve Byer's wheels and Steve has driven his car across the country and many other long trips with a smooth ride. Allen did my wheels and I had not problem with shimmy or shake at speeds up to 85 mph. (My top end, not my car's)
Charlie

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Have Allen Hendrix true and check your wire wheels.

I agree with the above, and be sure you have the neccessary bits to make puncture repairs on the road because you may find no one elese does.

OP
P

peteatgr

Thanks. I spoke to Allen this afternoon. He'll probably get some wheels to true quite soon. He also mentioned rear brake drums almost never being true. I hadn't heard that. Anyone have that situation, and did fixing that problem relate to curing/reducing the shimmy between 60-65 mph?

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Thanks. I spoke to Allen this afternoon. He'll probably get some wheels to true quite soon. He also mentioned rear brake drums almost never being true. I hadn't heard that. Anyone have that situation, and did fixing that problem relate to curing/reducing the shimmy between 60-65 mph?
I had Allen do my brake drums and a new set of wheels as well as tires and I have zero scuttle shake. I'm sure that my Jule Frame contributes to the smooth ride too but I think it also is the reason my Healey has a very "solid" ride and handling feel to it.

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You need different front hubs to use bolt-on wheels. These hubs.... for a BJ8.... are extremely rare - almost unobtainium. Healey racers covet these hubs. However, if there is a racer out there and seeing this post, I have a set of these hubs for sale. Send me a private message.

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
bob, that is a good question. i changed my bj7 over to boltons from spline drive minielite type wheels just because that is what i preferred. i just drive my car on the street but it does feel more planted and balanced with the boltons. no one locally wanted to balance the spline drive wheels. not that that was a major factor. i believe that the boltons are much lighter than the spline drives but that is just my opinion. and, to me the boltons are much neater in appearance with no knockoffs. i wish i could find a very small center cap that fits the wheel center without protruding like the minilite center cap. and thanks to boy racer and randy forbes for selling me the necessary parts for my conversion. my bj7 does have a 383 sbc roller motor so boltons just seemed to be the way to go for me.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Have Allen Hendrix true and check your wire wheels. He is right up the road in Greensboro. Once the wheels are trued you can really enjoy the ride. I know he did Steve Byer's wheels and Steve has driven his car across the country and many other long trips with a smooth ride. Allen did my wheels and I had not problem with shimmy or shake at speeds up to 85 mph. (My top end, not my car's)
Charlie
A few years ago Allen Hendrix told me that it's cheaper to buy a new wire wheel for a Healey than to true an old one.