• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spinning in circles

ecutr6

Which forum would you suggets I post my questions concerning bodywork on my '73 TR6? I am in the process of chemically stripping the body down to bare metal due to a previously miserable paint system applied by a former owner. I have questions about primers, blasting, pit filling - lead vs bondo, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
This section is probably your best bet. There is a great amount of knowledge on the BCF, it's just a matter of the right people looking in here. Posting on the Triumph forum alone would mean that some members with experience with such topics would not get to see your questions. Good luck.

lawguy

Jedi Knight
This is the place.

I'll start off by saying that I wouldn't bother with lead. Lead in the hands of a master works great, but a modern filler is much easier to use, used properly, results in just as good a job and will end up costing much less. The masters are few and far between these days and lead in the hands of a novice is a fire hazard at best.

OP
E

ecutr6

Your reply is what I was thinking and you have confirmed it. Lead has a lot of issues linked with it, but thought I would ask anyway. For all of you who have done your own bodywork, be on the lookout for my postings. I want to do this job right the first time, and based on the past responses I have read in this forum, I have come to right place. It is great to see so many of us share the same affection for the LBC's. Thank you in advance for all the future help. There will be many questions.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Bugeye58

Yoda
I'll echo the sentiments about using lead. Personally, I love working with it, but there is a significant health hazard involved, and it is rapidly becoming a lost art. Perhaps justifiably so, given modern plastics technology.
I'm sure you'll hear this again, but any paint job is only as good as the preparation. Painting is the easy part.
Jeff

OP
E

ecutr6

Bugeye - This is going to be the first really first class renovation I have attempted. I want this to last. I have in my mind that filling well-cleaned pitted areas with lead would be more lasting than bondo. Since I am a novice, I need someone with experience in this to say "Hey hardhead -- bondo is just as good, or based on your experience better than trying lead." I am open to the knowledge of the pros who have experience. Thanks for your response.

Bugeye58

Yoda
ecu, lead is not for the novice. It takes quite a bit of practice to become proficient at it, and you are constantly walking a fine line regarding the heat applied to the panel. Too little, and you won't get proper adhesion, too much and you risk warping the panel.
For very minor pitting, such as what is left after blasting away surface rust, consider using a high solid content, high build film primer, such as the PPG "K" series. I haven't done any paint in awhile, and the last I used was K-200. I'm sure their product line has been updated since. There are also excellent two part spot fillers, such as "Evercoat." They mix like Bondo, but are made to replace the old tube dispensed spot putties. If you are familiar with the red goop in a tube, it was essentially very thick primer.
Evercoat is easy to work with, and it sands very nicely, both wet and dry.
This little bit should give you some food for thought.
Question away!
Jeff

Country flag
If you have a question that is specific to your car then the Triumph forum would be the best place to ask, but more general questions might go here, or to the tools forum too....

tomshobby

Yoda
One more thing about lead. The heat will remove the paint on the back side of the metal too.
Maybe two things, if you find you did not completly fill the depression with the lead you start all over when it melts to add more. With plastic you can just add another coat and take it down.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This is just my opinion, but: epoxies have evolved remarkably in recent years. If you look into Valspar products (high solids primers particularly), VP-50 is some *astounding* material. The old red "spot putty" Jeff references is "outta here" as well. There is an English product I've found to be absolutely the kitty's pajamas: "Dolphin Glaze" (we've dubbed it ~"Porpoise Poop"~), that works so well I'd brush my teeth with it if it weren't toxic.

Welcome and as advanced above: Ask away! Many of us have been doing this since the invention of the wheel... well mebbe not QUITE that long, but long enough. This forum is responsive.