• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A spin on adapter Tr4a Moss LEAK...HELP

Richard_Brown

I decided to go ahead and put this on today only to try twice and Can not get it to stop leaking where the adapter goes into the head.
I made sure the old seal was out, cleaned around new correct seal in and tightened it pretty tight, they say 17lbs of torque which is not allot, I am pretty sure I am there or more.

Then I thought maybe i have it on wrong but it can only mount one way.
I re checked the instructions, made sure I had the correct ring ( it comes with 2 sizes, mine is Purolator style).

Have any of you ran into this installing one?
The rubber sealing ring seams more like hard plastic than rubber like an O ring, and wonder why that is?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Did you use any sealant on the o-ring? It has been years since I did mine (both from Moss) and I do not recall with certainty but I probably used Hylomar on all mating surfaces.

BTW -- when I did my TR3 I had to dig out several (was it 2 or 3?) old seals. Be very sure there is nothing in there and it is clean.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Some of them aren't machined quite right. Take it back off, and check that the body of the adapter isn't pulling up against the center of the filter head, instead of on the seal. Also make sure the edge of the adapter fits into the slot, they sometime hang up.

It's been a long time ago, but ISTR the seal that came with the adapter didn't fit very well, and I wound up using a ring from an original-type filter.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Richard , this is a common problem. You need to dig in the grove and pull out an old seal. They get lost in there and then the spin ons won't seal
2.1266480415.molting-is-no-fun---elephant-seal-on-hannah-pt.jpg

Rrbbeerrttoo

Banned
Richard,
I installed a Moss unit last week on my Tr4a and have no leaks with the Tecalemit type. Instructions said to tork the adapter bolts, for Tecalemit and Purolator, not exceeding 11-12 ft lb. The filter I tightned by hand.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Should Richard be using some Blue Loctite on the threads?

I do not know what the Moss instructions call out but I think I used threadlocker as the modest torque to mount the adaptor seemed like it might want to come off if I was trying to remove a stubborn filter.

Rrbbeerrttoo

Banned
Yes, the instructions did say to use Loctite on the threads...and to tighten with a torque wrench. It also said that if the adaptor is over tightened " the central stud may pull out of the adaptor bolt". Ummmh, never noticed that the adaptor bolt is a two piece component.

OP
R

Richard_Brown

I scraped around to remove the old ring, unless someone sprayed silver paint in there by accident I swear I did not see another old one. I will pull it off again and check one more time, I suspect It maybe be so embedded in there that it was not noticeable even after scraping with a screwdriver because I didn't seem to feel a groove when I was wiping it clean and was looking pretty close with lots of light.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
They get pretty hard.Feels like metal
Ya need a dental pick.
Though, maybe it is clean.
Seemed to be the culprit years ago when everyone was switching

Rrbbeerrttoo

Banned
Richard,
Obviously what happened to you is that tightening the adaptor block at 17 ft lb as you said, instead of 12 ft lb as the instructions required, probably unthreaded the central stud ( a cheap design ), causing oil leaks. Perhaps your solution is as simple as I described in my previous note with the exact Moss adapter instructions details.
Good luck.
Robert

OP
R

Richard_Brown

No I did not come close to over tightening, I said 17 lbs because I thought thats what the instructions said. The position my hand and wrench were in would not allow me to put 17 lbs on I am sure of it.
I am going to check if there is still an old ring hiding in there some how.

OP
R

Richard_Brown

no way I over tightened, I could not even get my hand in a good place to get it to 17lbs. I had said that cause I thought the instructions ( without reading again) said 17, I meant 12.
I am going to pull it off again and see if its possible there is still a really old seal hiding in the groove.

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
Mine leaked like a sieve when I first put it on. I used a safety pin to spear the old seal and remove it. I didn't see or feel it either, it was pretty hard.

OP
R

Richard_Brown

Sure enough...
deep down in there was another one. I suspected after looking again at the one that came out with the canister, it was quite deformed and I was amazed it didn't leak.

Thanks guys

65 tr4a CTC 50035

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Richard_Brown said:
Sure enough... deep down in there was another one...

Welcome to the club.

Perhaps the instructions that come with the adaptor should say "remove the old seal" then "remove the other old seal" then "double check to see if there is a third seal".

OP
R

Richard_Brown

Geo Hahn said:
Richard_Brown said:
Sure enough... deep down in there was another one...

Welcome to the club.

Perhaps the instructions that come with the adaptor should say "remove the old seal" then "remove the other old seal" then "double check to see if there is a third seal".

Ha! yes exactly

skikir

Jedi Hopeful
I bought one of these from another BPNW and it leaked. Not around the seal but through the casting. There was a pin hole in the side. I sent it back and they sent another one with a couple of bucks for shipping.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
DNK said:
Hey I got one right :banana: :banana: :driving:

Now you need a shot of a blind pig.
:devilgrin:

(Just kidding, Don)