• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Something I need to say

Nial will probably censor this, as Im sure the comments may go astray, and become a argument, but nevertheless I need to and want to say this. I guess I know as much as anyone who post here about these engines and building race cars out of these cars, but at the end of the day that does not mean I know everything and still cannot learn from others here, I can and do.

With that being said we recently saw a thread here that Nial had to step in and shut down, because it started to become personal, Nial was right to do that, even though I would have like to add my experiecne on the topic, and in a non attack mode, I might add as well. The unique thing about the BCF is the fact it is a moderated forum, we expected to be on our best behavior here, and thats not always the case on other forums I visit and have to say I like that about the BCF, it sorta lets folks know, if you post here, you should do so in a manner that does not offend others. So in short, its perfectly understandable that some of us will have different opinions and even different experiecnes within the same topic, and we should respect the other folk's opinions or experiences without insulting them or being a smart about it, it perfectly ok to disagree with someone without being hateful about it.

Ok, Im done, thanks for listening :smile:

Country flag
I concur.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
You are not out of line for what you said, and your tone is well within the bounds that has been set for BCF.
Scott in CA
Now if Dfghj would only stop rtyuio, then I will never xcvbnm, again!!!

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
With my former car, a Galant VR4, I was part of a forum. Constantly were snide, rude, disrespectful comments made. I was glad to sell the car and disassociate myself with that group. My new car, a Mazdaspeed3, has a forum and its the same way. Good thing I'm not going to modify that car.
When I came across this forum, I was pleasantly suprised to find how helpful and respectful people here are. No demeaning, rude, or even questionable comments. I appreciate this greatly.

tweety

Jedi Trainee
I check in to this and one other Internet forum daily. BCF relates to my hobby, the other relates to my profession. BCF has a bunch of really nice people who are willing to help someone out when they have a question, even the most remedial query. If info has already been discussed in a previous post, someone will guide you in the right direction. On BCF a user will be consoled in failure and congratulated in triumph (no pun intended)

The "other" forum I check daily is exactly the opposite. It often gets personal. Everyone is out to prove that they are smarter better or more profitable. A new user will be crucified for the most basic question or foible. While it's also a moderated forum, it's rare for a thread to be deleted or shut down when it gets ugly. In short it's like an episode of Jerry Springer. It's kind of sad because the site is a fantastic resource for people in my profession.

I really do appreciate the overall gentile nature of BCF. I really like that the ugliest post here is nothing compared to everything else out there on the net.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
bugedd said:
Constantly were snide, rude, disrespectful comments made. I was glad to sell the car and disassociate myself with that group. My new car, a Mazdaspeed3, has a forum and its the same way. Good thing I'm not going to modify that car.

That pretty much sums up many of the BMW forums as well.

About once a week a new member shows up and "demands" answers to 3 questions. 1. Did I get a good deal? (usually not). 2. What oil should I use? (what the factory states in the manual). 3. What can I buy at the PepZone store to add 50bhp? (absolutely nothing).

This place is so refreshing. Even differences of opinion are civil. Thanks Bas.

dfwip

Hap, I would guess it's a sign of the times.
The internet has brought anonymity to communication.
We will post (blog) what we would NEVER say face to face.
And in the process, we have lost the ability to
disagree without being disagreeable.

I see it every day. I make my living deciding disputes and
hearing people "air" their differences. It amazes me how often
it is apparent that "winning" is more important than the resolution.

I joined this group (and another) to learn and help. Even after owning
more than a dozen Midgets over 30+ years, and personally restoring several
award winning cars, I learn something every day. My intent in participating
was to help others with their learning curve while I enjoyed the
shared interest and learned something myself.

Of course, many problems on our cars can have multiple solutions. One is not necessarily better than another. I have often smacked myself in the head after learning of an easy way to do something I've been doing the hard way for decades. I find it wonderful to read a thread where multiple solutions are proposed for a common problem.

So what's the issue? Too many times I have read (and been involved in) threads where a post or suggestion is challenged in a rather nasty fashion. Who needs that? I find myself posting less and less as a result. I personally message
a number of guys who I share info with, but I shy away from active participation (or as active as I used to be). And, let the Lord protect you if you suggest a particular vendor or supplier without referencing EVERY supplier who has ever posted here. You WILL be called out on it...

I make my living in a high stress, high conflict setting. I'm here to escape that and enjoy people who have a similar passion (sickness). It would be a real loss for me if I backed away from these groups, but I sure won't hang around and read threads where people are sniping at each other. No fun.

Paul

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I couldn't agree more to all that has been said. The only thing that I might add to this is that I have discovered that there is no medium more open to mis-interpretation than email (and by extension) posting on boards. I find myself in situations regularly where we have to decide not to use email because there is too much nuance in facial expressions and tone of voice that is lost when we start to type. I recall a colleague who as a student was forbidden to use email because EVERYTHING she emailed pi**ed people off. I mention this because my sense is that people are not trying to pick fights or be obnoxious but have strong opinions, not always clearly stated. I am as guilty of this as any though on regular occasions have read, re-read and finally deleted a post rather than add confusion - besides, as my wife constantly tells me, just because it's funny to me doesn't mean it's funny to anyone else. Emoticons help, but, sometimes we (OK I) don't need to comment on everything.

All that being said, not only do I appreciate the civility but also the willingness to both reign in and/or forgive as appropriate and get on with the day.
:cheers:

histerical

Jedi Hopeful
I think the character of the participants on this list ( and a few others related to it) generally reflect the character of the cars involved. I am so impressed that when a new owner or a new wrencher asks a simple, basic question that has been covered over and over, someone will still take the time to answer it once again. It is refreshing. There is one list for a very different type of vehicle ( two -wheeled) that I check just for the entertainment value of the drama.....
Bill

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hap,

I don't see where your post would be censored,as it was well-
written & not personally attacking anyone.
There's another forum that is constantly in conflict,becuase
posters either take something the wrong way,or some posters inten-
tionly stir things up,& then watch the fireworks begin.

- Doug

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
One problem with this forum is that I never get my questions answered. Here, I'll try again:

1. Did I get a good deal?
2. What oil should I use.
3. How can I add about 50 hp for less than $50.

I'm waiting! :devilgrin: :jester:

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I think Hap's comments are excellent and I'm glad he said them.

Also, I'm sorry I had to lock the other thread....all the mods here hate doing stuff like that.
(and I hope the guys involved didn't take it personally: I mean that)

Now.......back to cars!
grin.gif

<span style="font-style: italic">(davester-just don't bring up, "What's the best brake fluid.")</span> :jester:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
davester said:
One problem with this forum is that I never get my questions answered. Here, I'll try again:

Don't make us come over there! :lol:

V

vagt6

Thanks for that, Hap. Your advice is always welcome, and accurate.

The moderators do a good job of it here, without being heavy-handed or unfair.

If you can't appreciate the value of a well-moderated car forum, you don't have to look very far to discover how chaotic and acerbic the unmoderated ones can become.

Thanks to all the moderators, and to Basil, for keeping it real here. :yesnod:

davester said:

LOL you forgot-

4. What should i use in my dashpots?

but seriously- I would have liked to hear Hap's take on Al flywheels.

m

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Same here, I'm not looking forward to beating the ring gear off mine :smile:

-5mPSsY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

m

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
huh, that works pretty nicely. Those back country boys kinda scare me though

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
bugedd said:
Same here, I'm not looking forward to beating the ring gear off mine :smile:

Last one I did, I notched the gear with a Dremmel in the valley between two teeth. Hit it once with a cold chisel and it split.

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I Definitely would not use the cutting torch to cut off the old one. I used an air cut off wheel and then as Scott said hit it with a chisel.

Entertaining video because it was like I was back home in the Georgia mountains again. I grew up with some of them good ole boys