• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

So let's talk paint colors...

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
So I know that Triumph didn't use any metallic paint, and that metallic paint makes body work even harder, but I can't seem to get this paint color on a TR4a out of my head.

sr_5505.jpg

The paint is a deeper color in person. (photo lifted from Google search, but have seen it in person and man is it handsome)

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
tdskip said:
So I know that Triumph didn't use any metallic paint.......
Triumph did use metallic paint. The 1949 TR 2000 came in a metallic Siver, Champange (gold) and Green. All three are very early metallics and are very nice colors. It seems that in the 50's and 60's the colorful enamel colors seen on our cars were all the rage. I really do like that metallic Silver though.

Paul

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
There were many shades of metallic wedges. Think 70's. Think disco. The earliest I know of were Tara Green and my personal fav Astral Blue.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I don't see the problem, Tom. It's your car, it should please you. If you like that color, then get it!

I actually went through much the same process, except that after several years of looking at local cars in person; it was "Lotus Racing Green metallic" that turned my head. (What can I say, I like green.)
P2060037.JPG

Unfortunately, after several weeks of the local paint shop trying to duplicate it, they told me that the car would have to be shipped to Belgium to get it! Apparently, the particular paint that Lotus uses is not available in the USA, due to VOC restrictions. So I went with "almost" the right color.
DSCF0012.jpg

swift6

Yoda
Tom, my TR6 is a non-Triumph metallic color and it is constantly getting compliments. Even some of the local Originality folks have come around and admit the color shows off the lines of the car better than the factory colors were able to.

dklawson

Yoda
Sidebar topic:
Recently on two or three threads where people have posted pictures... I have to scroll way left and way right to read the posted text. It's as if word wrap isn't working. The web pages are about 2 to 3 times the width of the editor box. Has anyone else noticed this on threads with embedded pictures?

Sorry... back to the color topic.

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
No on the text and I've always been partial to a metallic smoke color.

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
swift6 said:
Tom, my TR6 is a non-Triumph metallic color and it is constantly getting compliments. Even some of the local Originality folks have come around and admit the color shows off the lines of the car better than the factory colors were able to.
And I have to admit, I think Shawn's car is one of the best looking I've seen. Another BCF member, Tosh, has a great looking silver TR6. I think if I were starting from scratch, I would consider a color similar to what you're considering, Tom! Go for it!

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Doug,

On some occassions; The Wide Screen does come up; Why??? Basil; Maybe you can answer that question?

I`m going to paint my `57TR3 Small Mouth a "Dove Grey" Ext. color with a Dk. Maroon Int. See my Avatar for my motivation.

Does anyone here happen to know the paint code for that color?

Thanx, Russ

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
So many cars today are metalic silver; it seems to be the most popular colour. I like the solid colours because you just don't see them anymore.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
heres a shot of my bros'

485757.jpg

nice color'

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
swift6 said:
Tom, my TR6 is a non-Triumph metallic color and it is constantly getting compliments.
I know Shawn, I've been one of them!

I'm not hung up on the non-original color. Any others gray's out there I should check out?

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
I had a red TR4 that I sprayed metallic silver. I thought I would like it, but in the end, I did not. It just did not send the same message as the original, albeit faded red. I also had a black TR6, now when that car was waxed, she was a beauty.

Go for what makes you happy.

Oh, my buddy has a Lotus, painted Chrome orange. The photo does not really show as well as in person.
88899d1219435705-burnt-chrome-orange-sonicshow.jpg

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Toyota and Mazda both have nice metallic greys. The Toyota one is a little less conservative (go figure). I've been giving lots of thought to one of those colors but there seems to be a lot of cars on the road that are grey these days. More than silver even.

I'm also thinking of a bright metallic blue like on the Subaru's with a light blue interior. Be different for sure.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I'm not sure that color is all that far off from something like Triumph's gunmetal gray. It looks good, and if you like it I say start painting!

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
toysrrus said:
Does anyone here happen to know the paint code for that color?

Russ-

If I don't get back to you on this, please feel free to remind me. I have a chip book of the Standard Triumph colors I picked up from the UK - it has Dove Grey among other early colors. Old paint codes are listed, hopefully they can be cross-referenced to more modern brands.

I tried to find Joe Curry's paint code list which is very helpful, but didn't spot it in a quick internet sweep.

Randy

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
BTW, should be easy to get that lotus color. The paint shop should have a color catalog for the European auto manufacturers and the mixing formula should be in there.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yup, they had the catalogs, but that color wasn't in them. This was a major nation-wide chain, too. They even tried having their computer do a color-match, and it failed.

Seems like Joe's page got lost when Yahoo shut down Geocities. However, Paul Tegler has a good one: https://www.teglerizer.com/triumphcolors/