• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Semi-car tool related.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just saw something on DIY Network that disturbs me.

Two people with carpenter's hammers "clink" them together as in a "high-five" salute. This is NOT a good thing. Can you say: "spalling"?!?!

egad. :shocked:

G

When I was a kid in metal shop,an idiot was smacking two ball pien hammers together and a kid across the shop screamed and grabbed his arm. A metal shard split off one of the hammer heads and embedded an inch deep onto his arm.It should make for a pretty funny show if one of those clowns gets a piece of his hammer salute stuck in his head.Tools in the wrong hands are are dangerous as fire arms in inexperienced hands as some of the questions asked on this site prove.The answer most given in the emergency room when asked-" WHAT HAPPENED"??? Answer- "I THOUGHT........"

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Stupid behavior to be sure. But modern alloys and heat treating reduce the risk considerably.

The Mythbusters tested a big collection of hammers on a robotic face-to-face bashing rig. They broke and bent handles but didn't get any heads to fracture.

pc.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I saw that Mythbusters episode. Either they had soft hammers or they just didn't do it right. Several years ago I was having trouble getting the head off a broken axe handle. A ball pein hammer seemed like the logical tool. After a couple of blows, it didn't explode but a chip flew off and hit me in the inner-upper thigh, in a very dangerous place. Hurt like the devil but not much blood. Many years later that piece of schrapnel showed up on an X-ray.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
same song different verse - was watching the local morning TV show and the long haired announcer was pretending to use an electric drill as a hair dryer. She's normally not that ditzy, another inch and it would have been Mohawk time.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
'Fess up time: I don't remember how I did it - it was years ago - but there's a sliver of metal just above the knuckle of my right thumb. I can see, and feel, it under the skin.

Never had it pulled out - serves as a great reminder to wear safety glasses!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I took one in the eye, not too many years ago. Funny thing is, I had been fairly careful about wearing safety glasses during 'dangerous' operations, but I didn't really notice exactly when it happened. But Boy, the next day I knew I was in trouble! Woke up feeling like someone had substituted a boiled onion for my right eye! Lots of fun, driving around with ny good eye closed, trying to find an urgent care clinic (turns out they have all closed in my area). Finally found an ER that only had a one hour wait.

ER doc pulled out three separate slivers from my cornea. However, they had already started to rust, so the next day I had to go to an ophthalmologist. He used a tool that looked remarkably like my Dremel to grind away part of the cornea. Not as bad as it sounds, really, but still memorable. Hurt for 3-4 days, took a couple weeks for my vision to clear up completely.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
On your hands?!?!

hmmm.... Señor Wences comes to mind somehow.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
On your hands?!?!

Back in your box, there, Bubba!

"All right?"
"'S all right!"

Country flag
Yep, still have a piece of shattered metal in my thigh from years ago. A coworker was hammering away on a chisel. A piece hit me square in the thigh. I was busy doing something and thought a wasp had stung me.

Marv

Country flag
Mickey Richaud said:
DrEntropy said:
On your hands?!?!

Back in your box, there, Bubba!

"All right?"
"'S all right!"

"S'ok?"
"S'all right."
"S'all right?"
"S'ok."
"Are you sure?"
"SHUT DE DOOR!"

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
had a nice trip to the ER this morning. Doc had to use his micro Dremel to get the rusty bit outta my cornea. my eye feels like its full of gravel right now. Picked up that little shard sometime yesterday afternoon. don't know exactly when.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
ACK!!! Eye damage is AWFUL, Ben.
Do what your eye doc recommends and get th' best safety glasses money can buy. And WEAR 'em!!

Country flag
Having removed numerous particles from patients eyes, I cannot stress too much that you need to get it taken care of ASAP. You can get a rust ring from the salt in the tears. I wont even discuss infections. The cornea will enclose over the particle making it necessary to cut through to get at the particle. If seen early a magnet will pull out metal parts and a cotton swab will remove many of the rest. Fortunately the cornea heals fast and well. But be safe at all times, wear protection. That goes for watching welding, too.
TH

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Yup... My ogler is feelin lots better today. I really try to avoid hospitals, But I don't goof with my eyes. Followed Docs orders to a "T". Now if my shoulder would quit hurtin from that tetanus shot.
I generally am good about using safety glasses. I picked this one up randomly. I can't pinpoint a moment I occurred. Figures.....

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I've had to have stuff drilled outta my eye even when I was wearing safety glasses. So they aren't 100% in my book.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Rule that we teach the students while hooking batteries up to the charging system at the school is to look directly at them while connecting/disconnecting clamps. That way if something does happen, the glasses are covering the eye instead of stuff getting around the sides if their head is turned.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Since when do the kids ever listen about safety? I hope in this case that that really do.