• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 semi-Scam on Ebay

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Im sure alot of you have seen this one--180112424826--a 72 TR6 on Ebay that the seller leads you to believe it belonged to Pete Rose, but he doesnt say if it is the baseball P. Rose. The car needs almost a full restoration and the begining price is $15,000---some will try anything on Ebay. The seller has 27 negetives in the last 6 months from their Ebay store sales.

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
There is also another less obvious ebay scam.Hyperbole,lengthy descriptions and retoric in the hopes that you will be emotionaly convinced and discount what your eyes actually see in the photos. I just ended my auction early,a relist.I had answered numerous questions in the first auction,and posted them. My reason for ending my 2nd auction early,getting beat by lesser cars,that had better hype.There were also better cars and I respect those.Sour Grapes??? probably,...but uneducated,semi informed buyers sold on hype,with as much space by sellers devoted on caveats and how to hurry and send them money as on thier cars description.... I understand this is how the world works,but it still hacks me off none the less. Rant over,back to my life.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
you know...celebrity owned cars do nothing for me anyway...as you say who really knows and it does nothing but try to inflate the the price!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
BIBBER said:
you know...celebrity owned cars do nothing for me anyway...as you say who really knows and it does nothing but try to inflate the the price!

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif Especially when it supposedly belonged to Pete Rose. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Maybe you'll find some gambling receipts under the seat. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

roofman

Jedi Knight
Nothing personal boxorocks, was yours the white tr6 with a starting price at 16,900 or something like that? IMHO
your pictures were in the shadows and that does not compliment the car well. Also starting the price high has never worked for me. I put a reserve on and start at 99 cents. Get some people following the car and bidding it up to create more watchers. You do not have to sell for less than the reserve so starting bid does not matter. I would bet 99 0/0 of buyers are not interested in high end cars so starting high shuts them out. You want them to get the bidding started. As far as hyping the car, why not, marketing is king in this world.
By the way Tom Cruise was on the same planet as my car was, and Julie Roberts cousins, boyfriend had one the same color!!!!

tomshobby

Yoda
BOXoROCKS said:
There is also another less obvious ebay scam.Hyperbole,lengthy descriptions and retoric in the hopes that you will be emotionaly convinced and discount what your eyes actually see in the photos. I just ended my auction early,a relist.I had answered numerous questions in the first auction,and posted them. My reason for ending my 2nd auction early,getting beat by lesser cars,that had better hype.There were also better cars and I respect those.Sour Grapes??? probably,...but uneducated,semi informed buyers sold on BS AD hype,with as much space by sellers devoted on caveats and how to hurry and send them money as on thier cars description,burns my a$$.I understand this is how the world works,but it still pi$$e$ me off none the less. Rant over,back to my life.

Just proves that some people have more money than they are qualified to handle and there are plenty of others that are more than willing to do them a service and relieve them of the excess!

-or-

The old - That guy has my money in his pocket and all I to do is figure out how to get it!

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
roofman, ya might have a point.I debated about that,and I decided it seemed like playing games to start at some goofy low number.I thought I could offset the starting price,which would have also been my selling price, by saying I would not cash thier deposit,nor did they have to send the money before inspecting the car,I think my terms were as fair as it gets,without giving them the car for free. I wish I had better pix, but I had as many as I could post. Hey, if I were good at this I would be ......good at this. Anyway...there ARE some dumb folks out there....

OP
A

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Quote--[ " As far as hyping the car, why not, marketing is king in this world."
------------------Dishonesty (hyping) does seem to be accepted by quite a few people now-a-days, It is really good to see that most of the British car group people are honest. ---Honesty is still the best policy---there is no such thing as a white lie.

roofman

Jedi Knight
I agree fully in proprer disclosure, but boxs car looked real good, and would not be too hard to honestly hype a bit.
I have bought and sold 7-8 cars on ebay, you do as good of a job as possible selling, and bottom feed as much as possible buying. I literally stole a 2000 ford e150 van 3 years ago that I drive for work as the seller had terrible pictures. He did not have to sell at what I paid, but he could have done much better. I basically paid 6K for an 11K van.
Good luck selling.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I too have sold on eBay using a low starting bid with a reserve to protect myself. I think you do hook bidders that way who end up competing for the car at prices that they would not have bid as an opening.

Scrupulous disclosure is the only way to go in descriptions -- I think people see that and then have confidence in the rest of what you say. Helps if you can open with the statement that you 'are not broker, not a dealer and are not selling this car for a friend' but rather that you are the guy who has owned and driven this car for x years.

As for Pete's TR6 -- could be a pile of betting slips on the passenger seat... "I was just lookin' at them".

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
WidespreadPanic said:
I happen to have John Voight's old LeBaron if anyone's interested.

Am I the only one here who gets this reference?? Funny stuff! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif