• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Restoration Project Management software

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Anyone know of a source for Project Management software for "restorations" of Healey's? I'm exploring a couple generic ones that I found on the Internet and thought it might be better and easier to adapt what may already exist.
Thanks,
Patrick

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hello Patrick. I did see some software for car restoration work some time ago. At first I thought it would be great. Then I realized it wasn't really necessary. If you're just tracking costs you could just use Xcell or MSWorks database software already available. I use Xcell and just grouped expenses in categories such as:
1. Body/chassis Prep
2. Front/rear suspension, brakes, springs, tires and steering.
3. Misc. Electrical
4. Misc. trim/chrome parts
5. Interior kits etc.
6. Misc. engine parts/work

Under each group I had column headings reading:
Date AH Parts suppliers etc. Cost - Repaired items Cost

Then Patrick under each Cost column I had totals for new parts, repaired parts, and finally total restoration costs. Simple but it works for me. I also keep a photo album showing before resto, disassembly, during resto, and then final assembly (my favorite). Keep lots of backups cause it takes a long time.

bighly

Jedi Knight
I recommend that you never keep a total of the cost of the restoration of a car for personal use. A commercial venture is a different story. :smile:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
bighly said:
I recommend that you never keep a total of the cost of the restoration of a car for personal use. A commercial venture is a different story. :smile:

Absolutely /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif-----------------------Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif

BlueRidge2

Jedi Hopeful
Yep, It's pretty depressing! Hope my wife never finds it.
Ive told her how much I've spent on the 2 cars but she thinks I am kidding.

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the response Johnny.
I'm a Project Manager by profession and usually manage several projects at the same time where I work. Tracking expenses and doing so by "categories/sections" is one part of project management. With Excel, that's fairly easy to do and certainly the most cost effective way to track expenses if you have it on your computer.

I sometimes use Microsoft "Project" software at work to track large, complex and long time line jobs. I may have a job that needs to be done in maybe...six months. I will start backwards from completetion date and work forward to the actual starting date with "time lines" for each function with critical deadline dates that need to be done before the next phase can begin. This is a very complex software and wouldn't suit a Healey restoration without much modification.

I was hoping to find something available that I could enter a "completion date" of say three years and would give me all the phases that I would need to begin work by categories
with time lines of each phase. Somewhere, you need to start dismantling the car and there should be a completion date for that with a numbered sequence for each section of dismantling, inspection and maybe a projected cost for repairs, refinishing and/or replacing and a projected amount of time to do each item.

I think it would be great to track with the whole car restoration to produce the most efficient and best use of time to insure it is completed on time and on budget(might be dreaming on budget). Once the car is completely dismantled and the chassis and body sent out to be done, there's many things that a person could do with the car out of the garage such as overhaul the engine, etc. wiring harness repair/replacement, etc.

I hope this gives a better idea of what I'm looking for and maybe we can find some people that have actually purchased available software and modified it for a Healey.
Some that I have found but haven't pursued...yet:
https://www.autorestor.com
wwww.restorationassistant.com
https://www.xuperforamnce.com
Thanks,
Patrick

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Patrick
I also use MS Project for work...very helpful for creating a project timeline, scheduling tasks, and managing resources. For me, attempting to set up and stick with a timeline for a restoration project would be a challenge, but if you could actually predict with some level of accuracy the sequence and duration of tasks and actually complete them according to plan (bearing in mind that you are often at the mercy of vendors), the software could be of value. Around here we like to say "every project needs a deadline". Good luck with it.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Yep, It's pretty depressing! Hope my wife never finds it.
Ive told her how much I've spent on the 2 cars but she thinks I am kidding.
[/QUOTE]
I joke occaisionally that my biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell all my cars for what I told her I paid for them!!!

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
nevets said:
Hi Patrick
I also use MS Project for work...very helpful for creating a project timeline, scheduling tasks, and managing resources. For me, attempting to set up and stick with a timeline for a restoration project would be a challenge, but if you could actually predict with some level of accuracy the sequence and duration of tasks and actually complete them according to plan (bearing in mind that you are often at the mercy of vendors), the software could be of value. Around here we like to say "every project needs a deadline". Good luck with it.

Thanks for the input!
I'm still hoping that some owners will share their personal experiences with all of us on what they did first, second, etc. for dismantle and then a time line, money spent and in what order everything went back together. The articles that are currently being written for the Austin Healey Magazine under "Restoration Methods" are an excellent series which I have been following which I will refer to when I start with my car.
Patrick

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have my restoration projects in MS Project. When I have time on my hands and am far away from my car, I might update the file. When I am working on the cars, no way. I spend too much time on the computer at my day job to want to play with it during my off hours. Software is good for the planning and scheming but too much of a pain to put in progress updates. It certainly did help me learn the software though to help on the day job.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I put my project receipts into one drawer in my top tool box. When It's full I put the receipts in an envelope and hide them with my old magazines.

I never keep track of the $$$...but I do remember what I paid for each part. I guess the $$$ I spend aren't as important as the satisfaction I get from working on the car.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Patrick, I have to admit I did all the computer work from receipts and notes "AFTER" the car was finished. Since it took me 12 years to complete the car it wasn't practical to keep that good of records. However, once the car is done detailed records are important, not only for resale but also for appraisal purposes. Most appraisers will give you a discount if you have a detailed record of the cost/time/dates etc.

Oh, you might think you'll remember costs and time spent and who did what, but I'll tell you, "you won't remember it".

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Johnny said:
Patrick, I have to admit I did all the computer work from receipts and notes "AFTER" the car was finished. Since it took me 12 years to complete the car it wasn't practical to keep that good of records. However, once the car is done detailed records are important, not only for resale but also for appraisal purposes. Most appraisers will give you a discount if you have a detailed record of the cost/time/dates etc.

Oh, you might think you'll remember costs and time spent and who did what, but I'll tell you, "you won't remember it".
Jouhhny,
I agree with you 100% about the receipts and memory(had to use both in the same sentence or I could easily forget the first item). I had to use the receipts when my Jag was totaled and the other insurance company ended up giving me more than I thought they ever would due to the fact that every penny w/ pictures was avaliable and detailed. I'm sure that given your response to software for tracking expenses & management, some Healey owners may give their "show box accounting practices" a second thought and if they don't, they'll possibly lose out big time down the road.

Patrick