• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New member, just started a restoration project.

allavdj

Freshman Member
Hey everybody, good to be here!

I just picked up a 1975 MGB. It's in fair shape, standard rust spots and the engine is not running (but it does turn freely).

Now, this is my first restoration project, so I have lots of questions. The biggie that's bothering me right now is, once I get all the crap cleaned out of it where is the best place to start? Do I start taking the body apart and getting the panels and frame cleaned up, or do I pull the engine and at least get a fuctioning engine first?

Thanks!

Derrick

Welcome aboard! And welcome to MGdom.

First...please remember that there are no stupid questions here. That's how we all learn!

Now the, regarding your query..

Personally, I would get the mechanicals in order as the first step in the process. You may not even need to pull the engine.

Get either a Haynes or a Bentley shop manual...and become one with your MGB!

Oh yeah....join NAMGBR!

If you're planning a "nut n bolt" resto... take lots of pictures before removing anything... start a "journal" that you can make notes in, and document the whole thing (parts you bought - how much - what you removed - from where - a diagrams of localized areas - what hose goes where etc), then strip it down to the tub... fix/restore the parts as you remove them. (IE: restore the heater box when you take it off, then restore the pedal box when you take it off, then restore the... etc, etc.) Then do the bodywork, then paint, then put it back together.

If you're talking a rolling resto (refurb), then make sure the brake and clutch hydraulics are good, then the fuel system, then the electrics.... It can be torn down and paint-body done later... That's what I'm doing.

Anyway - Welcome to the site, and don't take my word for the above... Wait for a few more guys to say the same.. or something different.. or just add to it. Almost all the answers here are good ones!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Re: New member, just started a restoration project

Welcome Derrick! Is it your intent to do a true restoration? That entails a complete teardown to component level and renewal of all the ancillary bits. If that's where you're headed, the "unibody" tub (body/chassis) is the usual place to work on first. The rest are "subsystems" and may be placed as they are done, in almost any order. And Kenny's right: Document everything. No such animal as "overdocumentation" with a project like this.

Your comment about the engine "turning by hand" has me thinking you may want to 'flog' it around a bit before you begin the job in ernest, so perhaps getting familiar with the running gear would be a worthwhile "diversion"... Either way, seek out a copy of the Robert Bentley "Official MGB Workshop Manual" appropriate for the car. It is THE publication you'll refer to.

And feel free to post here often, the place is LITTERED with folk who've done this kind of stuff for decades. Again: Welcome to the Deep End of the Pond. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

Derrick, Welcome to the, Hmmm, as they say, Nut House? Your dealing with a great bunch of people here, who are willing to help you in any way they can. Dont be afraid to ask questions. Remember, you are dealing with a world wide net work of British car information. So use it at your will. Good luck on your restoration. Have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif PJ

OP
A

allavdj

Freshman Member

Thanks for the warm welcome!

To answer some of the questions:

The perfectionist, buy the best available, always do things right regardless of the cost side of me, is telling me to do a total off body restoration. I would like to return this car to as close to factory spec as possible. It was purchaced for the price that you could pick up a good parts car and I probably saved it from being torn down and parted out. The previous owner wanted to see it restored and not parted out and actually sold it to me for less than what he could have gotten out of it, simply because I saw the car for what it was, a beginning, not a good source of parts.

On the flip side of that coin, I want to get this thing running and safe to drive on the road! I don't mind working on the little things while I go, but I'd just like to see it go.

I have picked up the Hayes manual, but I'll check out the other book mentioned. On this note, any good recommentations for a good body work book?

And I have been documenting and bagging all the little screws, bolts, and nuts that I have been pulling off, but another question... Do I need to keep every part, even the ones I intend to replace?

Thanks again

Derrick

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

First, you'll find there's no "body-off" as its a uni-body car....but, yes, keep everything as you never know what you might need later on

If you're going to jump into a restoration instead of "awakening" it, go for the rust repair first....after that, everything else is easy.

OP
A

allavdj

Freshman Member

Yeah yeah...off body was a bad way to put it, but I couldn't think of any better way to get across that I wanted to strip it down. I promise to do better next time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Hey, no problem...sometimes folks who've just bought their first MG don't realize that

Do you have photos of the rust areas?

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag

I'm new also...not to British cars but to this forum. I've seem alot of good advice and support here since joining. I'm currently doing a refurb on my 69 MGC-GT I've owned for over 20 years, making it presentable for British Car Days in Las Cruces NM in late April. I also have 4 MGBs and today I'm taking my rollback truck and picking up my latest..a 61 MG Midget Mark1. Also doing a full resto on my 65 Mustang, 59 beetle with semaphores, and light refurbs on my two Porsche 911s, a 70e and a 75s. My shop looks like a disaster but its organized chaos. Good luck with the B project.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Hi There! and Welcome to this excellent forum. You are definatly in the right place for what you are starting on. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

OP
A

allavdj

Freshman Member

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, no problem...sometimes folks who've just bought their first MG don't realize that

Do you have photos of the rust areas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I finally have the seats pulled and all the flooring up I'll shoot some pictures of the floor pans and some of the other spots that will need some attention.

Side question, is there a good place online to pick up salvaged MG parts? I think the only body part (not counting floor pans) I will have to replace is the drivers side door, so I'm keeping my eye out for one of those.

Derrick

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Check with Tony for B parts, He seems to have a corner on the market.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
I think the only body part (not counting floor pans) I will have to replace is the drivers side door, so I'm keeping my eye out for one of those.

Derrick

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got one in fair shape (little rust on the bottom, but easy fix) if you need it.

Mickey

GB1

Yoda
Country flag

Welcome Derrick

remember all questions are good questions, at least these nice people here put up all of them I ask even when I think that they are stupid.

I would decide on what type of a vehice you want up front, how much you want to spend, and how long you wish it to take until you are out crusin. Then double the later two and decide.

Also a good point was made about taking alot of pictures.

Thanks, for saving a Little British Car.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Shoot I just blert em right out. Welcome to the Brit side of us. Always plesent to have a new face.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

hmm... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

What's wrong with the driver's side door? dents, rust, or just the crack between the mirror and the vent window?