• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Radiator - repair or replace? Pics attached

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Please see the pics below. This is from the '57 100-6. Originality is nice, but how bad does it have to be before one replaces an original radiator rather than repair it? It seems that this one looks pretty bad.

radiator outer.jpgradiator inner top.jpgradiator inner full.jpgradiator inner.jpg

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
there are lots of radiator rebuild companies out there , I had both my BJ8 recored and had an extra pass for more cooling added . The fan gaurd is available as a replacement part from all the major suppliers . Take it to a radiator rebuilder and see what a replacement costs then make your decision .

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
there are lots of radiator rebuild companies out there , I had both my BJ8 recored and had an extra pass for more cooling added . The fan gaurd is available as a replacement part from all the major suppliers . Take it to a radiator rebuilder and see what a replacement costs then make your decision .

I agree. You will probably want to re-core the radiator anyway because you can add some rows and make it more efficient. You may be surprised how much a good radiator shop can do for not that much money.

Country flag
That radiator does look pretty rough! But a good shop can straighten out and reuse the top/bottom tanks and the side supports.

BJ8 radiator before:

IMG_2423.jpg

After:

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks. I will talk to the radiator shops and see whether anyone is interested in a job like this.

Well just check around with other car owners and see who they use. Then tell the shop you want it re cored. check the cost and if reasonable I am sure they wil do it for you.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Recoring Radiator are the good choice if you don't use the car for races (here aluminium radiator can be the solution)
don't forget to insist that radiator external aspect will be respected --and all labels repositioned in right position
(two good photos -Front and rear- give to shop- helps)

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I agree. You will probably want to re-core the radiator anyway because you can add some rows and make it more efficient. You may be surprised how much a good radiator shop can do for not that much money.
I had to have my recored radiator repaired last year and it was a long search to find a shop that could do the repairs to fix my leaks. I never had that problem before so something is happening to those once "plentiful" radiator shops that used to be "plentiful". Be sure to check the width when you give it to them AND when you get it back. Make sure they know the width too! If it's too wide it will have to be corrected!

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had to have my recored radiator repaired last year and it was a long search to find a shop that could do the repairs to fix my leaks. I never had that problem before so something is happening to those once "plentiful" radiator shops that used to be "plentiful". Be sure to check the width when you give it to them AND when you get it back. Make sure they know the width too! If it's too wide it will have to be corrected!

See, that's why it's an advantage to live in a place like Utah that's 50 years behind the rest of the country. I had no trouble finding a shop that could re-core my radiator. The guy was even impressed that it was from one of "them new-fangled furin cars".

I hear we're going to let women vote soon too. :highly_amused:

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
See, that's why it's an advantage to live in a place like Utah that's 50 years behind the rest of the country. I had no trouble finding a shop that could re-core my radiator. The guy was even impressed that it was from one of "them new-fangled furin cars".

I hear we're going to let women vote soon too. :highly_amused:
When are you guys going to start drinking "coffee" in Utah? That's more important than voting...LOL.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

The "something" is the aluminum and plastic radiators in newer cars. I had a leak in my '96 Chevy Caprice radiator. $100 for a new aluminum one made in China delivered to my door in two days. Tough for the local radiator shop to compete with that, even if they have the skills for aluminum repair.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When are you guys going to start drinking "coffee" in Utah? That's more important than voting...LOL.

Those of us in Utah who drink coffee and beer do our best to compensate for those who don't. :teapot: :cheers:

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I made a few phone calls today and found only one local shop that would recore the radiator. $590 plus tax for parts and labor. Ouch!! The good news is that his parts book listed the correct core for the Austin Healey, both in size and style of construction. So it should be a good fit and look good.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I made a few phone calls today and found only one local shop that would recore the radiator. $590 plus tax for parts and labor. Ouch!! The good news is that his parts book listed the correct core for the Austin Healey, both in size and style of construction. So it should be a good fit and look good.

I looked up what I paid to recore my radiator 2 years ago -- $425. More than I remember, but still less than your quote.

If you are going for originality, you may want to get a "correct" core for your radiator. However, the shop I went to was able to install a far more efficient core using the original tanks and side braces. The finished radiator is indistinguishable from the original and it has something like 35% more cooling capacity. It made a HUGE difference in how cool my car runs, and the shop said that my original core was clean, just not as efficient as the new core.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I looked up what I paid to recore my radiator 2 years ago -- $425. More than I remember, but still less than your quote.

If you are going for originality, you may want to get a "correct" core for your radiator. However, the shop I went to was able to install a far more efficient core using the original tanks and side braces. The finished radiator is indistinguishable from the original and it has something like 35% more cooling capacity. It made a HUGE difference in how cool my car runs, and the shop said that my original core was clean, just not as efficient as the new core.
The $590 is likely Canadian $, which may be at least some of that difference.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Mine were way less that that and in CAN $ s ...find another rad shop . Mine were in the 300 to 350 range . and like others have said more passes more cooling and you cant tell to look at it .

Country flag
The one I posted on the first page cost ME about $700.00, and the radiator shop guy (age-old and highly recommended to me by different sources, located in downtown Toledo) stressed the fact that what he built had a retail value >$1000.00 (I put 15% on my cost for making the couple of trips to drop off/pick up). Most of the other jobs in his shop would barely fit through your front door__industrial stationary and marine engines primarily, with automotive restoration jobs fewer and fewer.

That core matrix is fully four (4) rows deep, and with the highest available numbers of fins per inch; I think it holds close to 1-1/2 gallons more than the stock one I took in there. This essentially replicates the radiator I had made for my car about thirty-five (>35!) years ago, and still keeping my car in the 170-190* range.

Point is, $600.00 for the radiator that I described does not seem out of line. I'd be curious to know what the (core) specification of the Moss replacement is, as I've seen two (2) different cores in Healey 6-cyl models; the 3-2-3 rows staggered (mine) and also an original BJ8 with just a 2-row core. As an example, that 2-row core was half as thick as the bottom tank, and my replacement core is every bit as fat as the tank__the fins possibly protruding beyond it.