• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question regarding BN7 Hardtop

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
To All,

As previously posted I recently purchased an original Factory Hardtop for my BN7.
View attachment 42389

It was my original intent to restore the hardtop, but it was in pretty good shape. The headliner was okay and the rear window clear with few defects, so I had it prepped and painted to match the red coves and called it a day.
View attachment 42390

The outcome has been satisfactory with the exception of some missing rubber or foam pieces at the rear of the hardtop where it sets (or floats) over the rear deck. The top came with some foam pieces near the setting pins but that doesn't seem right.
View attachment 42391 View attachment 42392

For the time being when I put the top on I roll up and carefully place two micro fiber towels which has not caused any noticeable scratches on the paint. I am planning on driving the Healey up to Yosemite and the California Coast so I was hoping to find out the proper materials and placement for this weather stripping.

Hopefully there is a BN7 Hardtop owner out there who can give me some guidance on the topic. Any help I can get would be appreciated.

OP
stretchit2

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The attachments don't work for me.

Here are the attachments

20160424_181522-1-1.jpg 20160424_180830.jpg 20160424_180806_002.jpg

D

Duane_Rhynard

To All,

As previously posted I recently purchased an original Factory Hardtop for my BN7.
View attachment 42389

It was my original intent to restore the hardtop, but it was in pretty good shape. The headliner was okay and the rear window clear with few defects, so I had it prepped and painted to match the red coves and called it a day.
View attachment 42390

The outcome has been satisfactory with the exception of some missing rubber or foam pieces at the rear of the hardtop where it sets (or floats) over the rear deck. The top came with some foam pieces near the setting pins but that doesn't seem right.
View attachment 42391 View attachment 42392

For the time being when I put the top on I roll up and carefully place two micro fiber towels which has not caused any noticeable scratches on the paint. I am planning on driving the Healey up to Yosemite and the California Coast so I was hoping to find out the proper materials and placement for this weather stripping.

Hopefully there is a BN7 Hardtop owner out there who can give me some guidance on the topic. Any help I can get would be appreciated.

I believe Nical Engineering has the parts you require (Items 9 and 19). Email them, they are very helpful!

https://www.nicalengineering.co.uk/austin_parts.html

Thanks,
Duane
(BN6 with Factory Hard Top)

HT3.jpg

HT1.jpg

HT2.jpg

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here are a couple of pics of mine. As far as I know, this has the original weatherstrip and windlace/trim. I bought it for the BT7, although it likely also fits several other Healey models.

I suspect that mine also should have a rubber strip covering the bottom of the metal piece at the outside edge. If so, that is missing. Yours appears to have that strip but may be missing the rubber weatherstrip that fits in the channel.
IMG_4376.jpgIMG_4380.jpg

D

Duane_Rhynard

Below are pictures of an original seal for the BN6/BN7 hardtops. The seals are different for the BN4 and BT7 tops.

Thanks,
Duane

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

OP
stretchit2

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Below are pictures of an original seal for the BN6/BN7 hardtops. The seals are different for the BN4 and BT7 tops.

Thanks,
Duane

Duane ,

Thank you for response and pictures. I understand and agree that there is a difference between the BN6/BN7 and the BN4/BT7 Tops and the pictures you sent are great. It appears to me that there is a small rubber spacer on each side near the locater pin and another couple of pieces of foam or rubber located further out beneath the trim and rubber sealer. Can I presume these are pieces number 9 and 19 from Nicel Engineering that you had referred to in your earlier post?

If so, could you give me the distance between the two pieces of foam or rubber spacers?

Thanks again for your response and pictures.

Jeff

D

Duane_Rhynard

Duane ,

Thank you for response and pictures. I understand and agree that there is a difference between the BN6/BN7 and the BN4/BT7 Tops and the pictures you sent are great. It appears to me that there is a small rubber spacer on each side near the locater pin and another couple of pieces of foam or rubber located further out beneath the trim and rubber sealer. Can I presume these are pieces number 9 and 19 from Nicel Engineering that you had referred to in your earlier post?

If so, could you give me the distance between the two pieces of foam or rubber spacers?

Thanks again for your response and pictures.

Jeff

Jeff,

The pad is located right at the 6th screw down from the locating peg indicated by the red arrow in the picture below. I believe the pad is #20 on the illustration and #19 is the long rubber seal. If you do not have a BN7 parts list, PM me with your email and I'll send you a full size copy of the hardtop pages!

Thanks,
Duane

ht13.jpg