• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question on tools and spare parts for lonng distance drive

BN6_2197

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gents,

I will go for my first long distance drive (4 days with approximately 600 miles) soon. Since this is my first long distance drive with my BN6 I am looking for some hints on tools and spare parts I should have on board. Any opinion?

Regards,

Volker

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Gents,

I will go for my first long distance drive (4 days with approximately 600 miles) soon. Since this is my first long distance drive with my BN6 I am looking for some hints on tools and spare parts I should have on board. Any opinion?

Regards,

Volker
contact David Nock of BCS because he has a list of the spares that are used most often along with the tools you'll need to carry with you. I'm sure he can supply you with the parts which is a good idea and you can keep them in your car at all times which is better than packing/unpacking before/after each trip.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Gents,

Regards,

Volker

Spare tire and small portible 12v air pump,scissor jack and 4 X 4 wood block ~12" long
If you have points take full set of spares.
Hand wrenches, Knock off Hammer
Quart of oil.

Have fun:encouragement:

Country flag
Gents,

Regards,

Volker

Fuel pump.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
ADAC, mobile and credit card.

Yep Rick
I never think of that cuz i never move far without two CC in my wallet.
I say two because some time one will not work [ nothing wrong with it] but the other one will,this can be embarrassing as well as very inconvenient.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
You might want to check condition of hoses and fan belt and if necessary replace before departing. Needless to say if you carry any spares (points, etc) it is helpful to have along both the knowledge and tools to install them. A shop manual is a nice thing to have with you.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Volker,

A friend, on a 1K mile club trip, attached a motorcycle trailer to his Healey loaded with every possible spare part you could think of and he could fit. Although the availability of his stash reduced my concerns, the only thing he experienced was 3 flat tires, fixed at roadside garages and caused by a missed broken spoke on a beautifully finished original wheel. I bring this up because it showed me that carrying the exact part to repair a failure will, I expect, invoke the same feeling as winning the lottery as I assume any potential areas of failure will have been addressed prior to leaving.

Although I do carry a full points ignition setup in case my Crane Optical electronic ignition fails or the head and diaphragm section of an SU fuel pump in case my pump fails, or Silicon brake fluid as it may not be available. However, although I don't expect I will be open to addressing more when on the side of the road, you will have to identify your limitation and your car's vulnerabilities and select supplies appropriately. As Rick and Keoke have mentioned, cash and credit cards are essential.

One last thought, a friend on a long drive, published his route on one of the major Healey clubs looking for contacts along the way. He was overwhelmed with the response and collected a directory of names and phone numbers of members willing to provide support in case he needed it.

Just some thoughts,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Country flag
Consider the corollary to Murphy's Law: If you have a spare in the boot that part won't fail (fuel pumps excepted).

The AHCUSA used to publish a 'resource book' with useful facts and trivia and a members' directory, including members who were willing to help fellow Healeyites in distress.

Gearhead_Garage

Jedi Hopeful
I went to Lowes and bought a socket set that I raided for the most common sizes. I also bought wrenches in those sizes. I take a small adjustable wrench, leatherman tool (pliers, cutting, etc.), baby vice grips, 4-way screwdriver, some bailing wire, a loop of coat hanger, duct tape, zip ties, mechanics and nitrile gloves, a cheap small VOM, spark plug socket, spare coil and points, distributor cap with wires, rotor, spark plug, quart of oil, can of fix-a-flat, little roll of 14 gauge wire, spare taillight and brake bulbs, and some paper towels. I usually take some McGuiers Kwik Detailer spray and some micro-fiber cloths and Rain-X if I think I will need it. I generally have a small cooler along with water for the passengers. It can also be used for cleaning windshields, rinsing gas splashes, pouring over vapor-locked carbs, or washing mud off shoes and tires.

I would carry a spare fuel pump but I have a redundant one wired/plumbed in that can be activated by flipping a switch. I've never had to use it.

And a cellphone, charger, and credit card!

It's your basic MacGyver kit. I store the spare parts in a round zippered container under the spare tire. The tools go into a small 12" long x 6" wide tool bag that nestles in the trunk area to the rear of the gas tank. The liquids get stuffed behind the spare tire or under the battery. None of this really impacts luggage space so I leave the tools and spares in the car at all times.

So far in 2 1/2 years I have used the mechanics gloves and wrenches to re-tighten the generator, screwdriver to tighten a hose clamp, the leatherman and coat hanger to fix a broken exhaust mount, spark plug wrench and spare plug to replace one I cracked while checking mixture. I have also used the small adjustable wrench on the throttle linkage of a friend's car, used the VOM to diagnose a bad Jaguar starter switch, and loaned out the coil to another motorist in need.

VOM = Volt Ohm Meter or multimeter. $10 or less at Harbor Freight

Healey 100

Jedi Warrior
We don't take a lot of spares on the many cross country trips we've taken with our Healey, we just don't have that much room. I do bring small things like points, plugs, rotor, etc. I've never needed them because I usually renew all this stuff before leaving -- but they don't use much room. I do bring an extra aftermarket fuel pump. Fortunately, the 40 or 50 year old Bendix pump in my Healey keeps clicking away and I've never needed the spare. I carry a few spare spokes and I have actually had to change a few on some of my trips. I bring a small stash of tools and all the stuff I need to change a tire (We have had several flats on tour). I throw in a nylon tow rope just in case. I have AAA and make sure it's paid up. Smart phone and charger always too.

Shop manual, Moss catalog and also rosters from all the national car clubs I'm in. Never know if you might need to call someone local for help.

Happy motoring!
Bill.

Country flag
A few years ago--when Gary Anderson was still editor--we wrote an article listing the tools and spares I carry on my annual long road trip (3-4K miles). Off the top of my head:

- basic SAE socket set (at least up to 13/16" which works for banjo bolts). I carry 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive to cover everything from 1/4" and up. Use: https://www.harborfreight.com/3-pc-socket-rail-set-68101.html
- SAE end wrench set (see above). A long time ago, I got some cheap 'rings' from HF that are perfect for keeping end wrenches together, but can't find them on the HF site now.
- pliers: diagonal cutters, regular pliers, needle nose and channel locks (large and small)
- assortment of screw drivers (Posidriv, Philips, and slotted)
- files: 12" and points. I used the points file to repair an OD relay in a motel in Salmon River, Canada
- spare fuel pump(s)
- spare OD solenoid
- spare OD panel switch (these seem to go intermittent every 50K miles or so)
- punches
- vise grips: large and small
- tape: electrical and duct
- tie wraps (various sizes)
- prescription bottle with assortment of screws, nuts and bolts (most small Healey screws are #10 X 32TPI)
- Bars Leaks or other cooling system sealer
- assortment of hose clamps
- spare Pertronix (pre-made with spade lugs for quick install)
- points set (suspenders)
- spare distributor rotors (think I have 4)
- electrical wire
- spark plugs
- complete secondary ignition system (cap and wires)
- small 'jumper' cables with alligator clips
- full size jumper cables
- tow strap (used once)
- full size spare
- plug type tire repair kit (I run tubeless)
- battery-powered compressor
- several quarts of oil
- bottle of DoT 5 brake fluid
- knockoff hammer
- road flares (4)
- bungie cords
- shop rags and terrycloth towels (for washing car)
- mechanic's wire
- wire clothes hanger with hook cut off
- awl and picks
- water pump (some may recall my horror story with a leaking pump and C****y brand replacements)
- small pry bar
- small hand metal saw
- some thin sheet metal pieces
- tire valve tool
- radiator hoses--top and bottom--and fan belt
- wire crimper with assortment of crimp terminals
- geared screw-type jack
- 12V drop light
- several flashlights
- Halon portable fire extinguisher (saved my bacon once already)
- window cleaner
- paper towels
- California duster
- car cover
- waterless hand cleaner
- 2 gallons of tap water (suitable for radiator or drinking). Just fits behind passenger seat.
- Bentley shop manual

and, oh yeah: a ball pein hammer. I'm debating getting a spare generator.

The tools fit--barely--in a tackle box-sized plastic tool box, the spares--except the water pump--fit in an Amazon box about 18"X12"X6".

Last edited:

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My last two long trips (each over 2,500 miles) were so trouble free that I am thinking of leaving my rescue kit behind and using the luggage space saved for something more useful. Tempting fate?
I'm only kidding! I carry a scissor jack, knock-on hammer, collapsible wheel chocks (like the jack, rescued from a Datsun 280Z) points, condenser, rotor button, a couple of spark plugs (surely thay can't all fail simultaneously) and an exhaust pipe rubber mount. For tools I carry a range of spanners, sockets, pliers, screw drivers plus a torch & a small can of WD-40. A small selection of nuts & bolts, and cable ties can come in handy. Most of the small items fit into a circular container that fits neatly into the space under the spare wheel. Not forgetting hand cleaner and a couple of clean rags.

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Somewhere on the forum I saw somebody using a 5 gallon bucket cut down to a height the fits under the spare. It makes great use of space previously unused. I just happened to have a black bucket so You can't even see it. It holds quite a bit of spare parts and tools and doesn't bounce around.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If you can find one, a vintage Tupperware Pie Taker works well in the spare:

TupPieTaker.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just a note:
I usually carry a completely tested spare dizzy,because i have found that I can chage it faster than points or Electronic module on the side of the road

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Just a note:
I usually carry a completely tested spare dizzy,because i have found that I can chage it faster than points or Electronic module on the side of the road

I also carry a spare points/condenser dizzy. I don't carry a spare pertronix because A) too expensive and B) might just fry it the same way the original was fried.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
"I also carry a spare points/condenser dizzy. I don't carry a spare pertronix because A) too "

The method I use to cut that cost Steve is
:
Attend vendor overstock/return merchandise sales.
Pick up cheaply any inline 6 Clyn Pertronics set you see'
These "modules" are all compatible with any inline 6 cyln engine.:encouragement:

Last edited:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
"I also carry a spare points/condenser dizzy. I don't carry a spare pertronix because A) too "

The method I use to cut that cost Steve is
:
Attend vendor overstock/return merchandise sales.
Pick up cheaply any 6 Clyn Pertronics set you see'
These "modules" are all compatible with any 6 cyln engine.:encouragement:

My point is I would not replace a pertronix on the road because of the excellent chance of frying the replacement the same way the original got fried. Better to use the points to get home then deal with the pert on the bench.

Country flag
My point is I would not replace a pertronix on the road because of the excellent chance of frying the replacement the same way the original got fried. Better to use the points to get home then deal with the pert on the bench.

Hmmmmm ... what would 'fry' a Pertronix? It's known that leaving the ignition switch on with the engine not running can cause a Pertronix to overheat and burn the power transistor (at least on the models used in Healeys; later types have protection against this). The only things I can think of are 1) a serious overvoltage event (stuck points in the regulator, maybe) or 2) a dead short downstream of the Pertronix. In either of these cases, putting points in ain't gonna fix the problem (for long).