• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Oil leak from rear of motor.

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Another option on a sealant is LockTite 5970. It's an anaerobic flange sealant that sets up in about 15 minutes. It's called for as OEM on a lot of engines in lieu of an actual gasket, like the cam covers on a lot of European cars. It's expensive, but if you apply it correctly it AIN'T GONNA LEAK.
Get the plug and it's bore absolutely clean and free of oil. Use brake cleaner and an air gun. A 1-2mm bead around the threads of the plug pretty near the base of the threads. Install and you're good to go. It will be cured by the time you get the transmission back in.
This is also an excellent sealer to use on the faces of the OD cases where no gasket was originally called for. A 1mm bead will squeeze down to nothing, but will seal up any imperfections in the surface. It also will not degrade in the presence of oil, so even if a tiny bit squeezes past the flange on the inside, it won't come apart and clog the OD.

OP
J

jimstr4

Yes the forum is a great resource.
Since my steel plug was the original one on the block it would most probably have sealed if a sealant was used.
Being paranoid I have ordered a stick of 4 aluminium plugs from Rimmerbros.
If I remember correctly they are tapered, Do I need to use a sealant with them?

OP
J

jimstr4

Merry Christmas to all.
Well it's been a long time since I originally posted this thread.
Long story short the aluminium plugs from Rimmer Bros fixed the problem.
I sealed the plug with liquid ptf and no sign of any leaks.
It took me three very tiresome goes to get the gearbox / overdrive back in.
In the past I've centered the clutch plate by eye, this time I couldn't get it in so I bought a dummy input shaft from Rimmers.
It still took my son and I two goes to get the box in after I managed to get it stuck in a really weird position.
We had to take a two day break then went back and it just slid in nicely.
The car is now mobile and down at the mechanics having the exhaust sealed plus a few other things done to it to get it complied before it's reregistered and mechanically certified.
The bad news is that the reconditioned gearbox jumps out of third.
We replaced all the bearings with new quality ones as well as the thrust washers but used gears from another gearbox.
I think that I'll just drive it for a while and just keep pushing on third to keep it in gear.

Jim and the now mobile 62' TR4

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sometimes all it takes is to adjust the angle of the engine and the trans will slide right in. Sorry to hear about third gear.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Now I wish I'd checked my galley plug before putting my transmission back in last month. Is that a common location for leaks?

OP
J

jimstr4

I'd never heard of it prior to my issues, but now that it's happened I'd always replace the old steel plug with an aluminium one.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Sometimes you can tighten up the shifting rods under and on the shifting tower to create more holding force on the rod and it will keep it from popping out of gear. It is a definite maybe because there are a couple factors that could also be involved, but probably worth a shot.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It always amazes me how quick you can get answers from this forum.

This forum is a great resource. Not sure how people did it before the Internet.

David

That is where DPO's came from. We just did what we could with the knowledge of what we had and with the tools and such that were available. Most often many of us were the only sports car in town or at least the only of that type of car. So the corner garage was little help as they would give you one of those wide eyes looks if you ask for anything technical on the car. I still remember living in Colorado with a TR3 in the 1960's. We had a Brake and Light inspection to go through about every other year or so. My TR3 had front disc brakes and I never did find an inspection station person who knew what they were. First they would try to take the wheel off at the bearing and if I remembered in time I would usually stop them about the time that they would find some way to get the grease cap off. I would then tell them to just take off the tire and wheel and they could see the front brake pads. It usually ended with a funny look from them and an "okay if you say so" when I pointed out the brake pads in the caliper.

OP
J

jimstr4

I'm just going to drive the car for a while then eventually take the gearbox cover off to tighten up the shifting rods.
Happy New Year to all.