• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil Filter Impact on Oil Pressure?

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi,

Any idea if an oil filter can have an impact on oil pressure readings? I used to use a Fram PH3600 and recently switched to a NAPA Gold 1516. It seems my cold oil pressure is higher and my hot oil pressure is slightly lower with the new NAPA filter. Or, maybe it's just coincidence.

It's not big deal but, just curious if they could be related.

Bob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Certainly possible, although whether it's likely or not is a different question. On the later TR3-4A, the take-off for the oil gauge is before the filter, so an overly restrictive filter can mean more pressure shown on the gauge and less to the bearings. However, there is a bypass valve that should open around 8 psi, so the effect should be limited to that.

But I think it's probably just coincidence.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Try going back to the 3600 and see if the old pressure readings return. If they do, NAPA filter is the cause of the current change.

D

DougF

Did you change the weight of oil? If your old oil was lighter or broken down, the new oil could make a difference.

TonyPanchot

Jedi Trainee
I installed the KN filter and it lasted 6 days
thinking that I must have knocked a bunch of crude loose ?

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
I use nothing but K&N oil filters in every car I own. I had the inside of a Fram disintegrate during a race several years ago, so I have yet to trust them since.

Oil Pressure, on start-up, with a K&N does change slightly due to the built-in anti-backflow valve. K&N comes off with a 1" wrench, and has a way to safety wire it in place. No one else has this. Combine this with the fact that it is very good at filtering, and its just THE best oil filter. I have not yet tried the one Amsoil now produces, but with how well the K&Ns have been, I have no reason to switch.

I would not trust the NAPA filter. I'm willing to bet they are outsourced from the cheap Puralator or something similar or generic, and I'm quite sure its interior is nothing more than folded paper and a screen.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Not wishing to open up the same old "can of worms" (can of oil?) about filters, but most NAPA filters are actually Wix filters, which is generally considered a very good brand of filter. So is Purolator, the company that more or less invented the oil filter for cars.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
NAPA oil filters are made by WIX. Champion Labs make the K&N, Mobil 1, and AC Duraguard oil filters.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
pjsmetana said:
Combine this with the fact that it is very good at filtering,
Just curious, Pete, do you have test results to back this up? The test results I've seen on their air filters (their flagship product) have been disappointing, to say the least.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
TR3driver said:
pjsmetana said:
Combine this with the fact that it is very good at filtering,
Just curious, Pete, do you have test results to back this up? The test results I've seen on their air filters (their flagship product) have been disappointing, to say the least.

Yeah I agree with the Air Filters tests. The old chart I have (or used to have... I know I have it somewhere round here) Shows K&N as the 2nd best at filtering. I don't remember who was 1st out of the 8 or so on it, but it wasn't by much. It had 2 different Frams on it (The one with EZ grip, and the one with some Hexa-something filtering Element which is the kind that imploded in my old race car). Purolator was close to last. I don't recall where WIX was, but they were not 1st. This thing also shows oil flow resistance too. I recall the K&N showing high resistance on start, probably due to anti-backflow valve, but very low resistance immediately following, and allowing easily for high volume. I bet one of my old race buddies still has it, and has just 'forgotten' to return it. Many of my tools have disappeared over the years like so as well :frown:

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yeah, but that's the same old appearance critique, no actual actual performance numbers. I'd much rather have only 50 square inches of proper filter media than even 500 square inches of recycled quilt batting!

You just can't judge micron level filter media by eye. Or as an engineer friend of mine puts it "A test is worth a thousand theories."

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
ISTR that there was a replacement filter housing into which you put a roll of toilet paper for the filtering element. Did I dream this?

swift6

Yoda
bgbassplyr said:
ISTR that there was a replacement filter housing into which you put a roll of toilet paper for the filtering element. Did I dream this?

Nope, didn't dream it, but it was also during the time that even having an oil filter was optional. I know of a few old V16 Cadillacs that have toilet paper oil filters. they also have oil bath air cleaners.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
bgbassplyr said:
Friend of mine ran one for awhile. It was billed as "never having to change oil again", and seemed to perform as advertised. But he eventually got tired of having to change the filter (and add a quart of oil) every 1000 miles, so converted back to the factory full flow filter.

BTW, early TRs also used a bypass filter setup, but with wool for the filter instead of toilet paper.