• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Odd week for odd cars

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
this week I have seen a few cars that I didn't even know existed any longer. Was driving home from church and saw on of these

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
And then, the same day a Lada

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
and today a Toyota Corona Liftback - and I'm sure they were all just daily drivers

D

Deleted member 8987

That Le Carcass.....in front of a circus tent....did 27 clowns just climb out of it?

And that Lada........just as straight as the day it left the factory, eh?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I've owned three similar cars.

Fifiteen years ago, I got a Toyota Corona wagon for free and gave it to my Dad. Eventually, Dad gave it to my litle brothers for a "woods car" and they used to jump berms in the woods.....all four wheels at least a yard of the ground. Wish I had pictures.

I owned a FIAT 124 sedan...interchangeable with that Lada. A real piece of crap.

And I bought a Renault 5 (LeCar) for $25 and used it for autocrossing (we named it "Pig Vomit"). It was decent and surprisingly nice to drive. Later, because of this car, I bought a Renault 9 (Alliance), which I can honestly say as one of the best cars I've ever owned.
I wouldn't mind having one of the ~GTA versions~ even now.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
TOC said:
That Le Carcass.....in front of a circus tent....did 27 clowns just climb out of it?

:lol: actually they were all remarkably straight for their age and marque.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
aeronca65t said:
Later, because of this car, I bought a Renault 9 (Alliance), which I can honestly say as one of the best cars I've ever owned.

there was a Renault racing team for sale on Kijiji here about 6 months ago 2 or 3 cars and tons of parts. Not sure if it sold or not (just cause you need more cars right :thumbsup: )

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I saw a Studebaker Lark station wagon
the other day,in real nice shape.

- Doug

D

Deleted member 8987

JPSmit said:
TOC said:

:lol: actually they were all remarkably straight for their age and marque.

Just goes to prove the point.
Never wash and wax a Lada.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The Renault 5 was actually a decent little car, and popular as any in Europe and the UK.

Nial, there is a Renault GTA in attendance at the historic races at Road America every year, a group of Renault enthusiasts gather in the paddock around the tent of a race team that competes in the Alpines.

Yes, I have photos! :wink:

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I couldn't actually recall who those old Renault racers were, but it just came to me....The Archer Brothers (out in MN). They ran 5s, 9s and Alpines as well as a lot of other stuff.

https://www.archerracing.com/history.htm

When I bought my Alliance, an old friend, Larry DuLude, bought one too...and went racing in the Renault Cup races with it. That car got him to the Nationals. He's moved on to other cars, but I think he's been to every National since.

V

vagt6

Amazing with the nice weather brings out. I saw a perfect MK II Jag sedan yesterday. I mean, it was perfect, even the wheel wells were perfectly clean. I followed him for awhile just to watch it go.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I'm sure it's just the way the picture is, but the guy driving the Lada looks like he's got the face of a camel!
My parentals had a LeCar. I loved the big canvas "Flip top" it had. It ran well for many years. A cable type guard rail ended its useful career.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ben said:
A cable type guard rail ended its useful career.

...and just WHO was at th' helm at the time of the incident? hmmmM? :jester:

eddyramrod

I've actually had a Lada, same model as the car shown; mine was Flag Red. It was a good hefty old bus and served both me and my parents well for about 4 years. We had others before and after it, which says a lot, especially considering we always bought them at the bottom of their price graphs. With RWD and plenty of weight of their own, they were brilliant towing cars, able to haul much more than you would expect of a 1500. In the UK they were universally derided for their low price, secondhand design and heftiness, but for the elderly (eg my parents) and the low-paid (eg me) they were perfect. Now of course most have gone, and those that are left are beginning to climb the classic ladder, but I don't expect they'll go very high very fast. They've always been seen as disposable, like security guards on the Enterprise...

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
eddyramrod said:
They've always been seen as disposable, like security guards on the Enterprise...
:lol: there's a Skoda that I still regret not buying..

eddyramrod

JP, I can tell you Skoda stories... I had one about 15 years ago and it was much more fun than I thought it had any right to be! When I took pity on it, outside a car-auction, it was 9 years old, so you can imagine how far the price had slid. It served me 6 months before succumbing to "uneconomic repair" and the lure of my first Capri (which was cr*p). I drove it to the junkyard and my buddy, following in my 400cc-bigger Capri, couldn't keep up!