• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

No ethanol fuel or not

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
No ethanol fuel or not. I went on drive the other day with my tr3 and purchased gas that had no ethanol mostly because I was low. Anyways, I am thinking the car ran stronger and popped off better when starting. Is this my imagination? I was in high school in the 60s, so my imagination has special powers.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Might not be your imagination. E10 does make slightly less power; and if the mixture was set using E10 then it will be a bit rich using E0.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Not your imagination at all. If you have the ability to buy non-ethanol fuel, do so. Ethanol decreases fuel performance and mileage, attacks older rubber parts, and does not remain usable for any length of time. It's fine in your daily driver, but in a classic that only gets driven occasionally, and the fuel may not get used up within a month or two, it's bad news.

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was of the impression that E10 was legislated/ mandated at the state level. Or, is that an option left up to the oil companies? I guess what I am asking is if it is legislated, then I have no hope of finding non-E10 here. But, if E10 is an oil company option, then I may have some hope of searching to find a dealer who sells non-E10.

As many, I am somewhat concerned about fuel system damage and would like to find a supplier of non-E10 fuel. I normally run with Shell or Mobil 93 octane here in CT.

Thanks

Bob

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In most cases the use of E10 (except in the "corn belt") is mandated by the EPA for areas that don't meet air quality standards. Supposedly it burns cleaner than straight gas. I find it hard to believe...all my vehicles burn 10-15% more fuel when using it, and it seems to me an oxymoron that I burn more but polute less. Here in the top of Utah that's about all we can get now year round.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
It's legislated to have it, but I believe stations can still get non e-10 if they so desire. it's up to the station owner/ suppliers.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I went on line and there was a site that went state by state and then city. In the Tacoma area there was one station on the list.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Banjo said:
It's legislated to have it, but I believe stations can still get non e-10 if they so desire. it's up to the station owner/ suppliers.
Probably varies by state or even by county. Around here they can get it, but it is illegal to use it on public roads or knowingly sell it for use on public roads.

M

Member 10617

Our local Farmers Coop has non-ethanol gas for ordinary road use (not restricted to farm use). It is a bit more expensive, but available to anyone who wants it.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Here in the great state of Texas (another oxymoron), it's all based on city limits. In the city, all stations have to sell ethanol by law. Leave the city and travel to the small towns and you only have ethanol if the stations get a good deal for it, but they do not HAVE to sell ethanol, and most do not. I have yet to find an engine that runs or starts better with ethanol!?! I also lost 15% mileage.

John

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
So in this area there are stations that don't sell it. A lot by the marine areas. One question, do these station's fuel have cleaners in them.
Or are they equivalent to the cheap fuels

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In Minnesota, some stations have non-ethanol fuel available in a pump labeled, "For off-road, small engine (lawnmower) or collector car use only." It costs more. It's also better gas. The Minnesota Street Rod Assn. publishes a list of locations where this is available, statewide, updated every 6 months.

Ten years ago one could still find "racing fuel" at select spots. REAL 100 octane leaded premium. That seems to be gone now...

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
Here in North Carolina, perhaps because of all the NASCAR team garages, you can still purchase 100 octane "racing gas" at select locations, The only takeaway is that it's about $5.-$6. a gal the last time i checked. I may still treat the TR 3 to half a tank one day if I am feeling REALLY flush!
Gordon

simpson

How can we make "our" government do the right thing for the common public, the taxpaying citizens who pay for the very existence of "our" government? This ethanol mandate is just another special interest, and perhaps environmentally misguided and costly boondogle imposed on the citizenry in general.

In all of Sarasota, there is one independent station that sells a 89 octane ethanol free gas on a pump marked, "Recreational & Small engine fuel." It's about 10 white knuckle traffic miles from me, but I really need a tad higher octane due to slightly bumped up compression on the recent rebuild.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I think it's a bit more around here, but it can be bought. AFAIK it's not legal to use it on public roads, though, just race tracks.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
simpson said:
How can we make "our" government do the right thing
I've got some ideas, but unfortunately this is the wrong place to discuss them. So let's stick to reality and how it affects our cars.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The big change-over to ethanol was due to the phase out of the MTB which was causing water table intrusion from leaking tanks. The car companies changed their rubber products...mainly buna-N to other products in the early 2000s to use the E10. There has been talk of requiring E15 in CA, rather than the E10. Your gas mileage will be lower with the E10, as the heat value for ethanol is lower than that of gasoline. GM and other makers made a ton of E85 cars, as they got EPA credits, but not may places sell the stuff, and it costs more than gasoline. Some day...maybe sooner than later...when the gasoline runs out....ethanol is a good alternative for cars...like Brazil. We just have to suffer through this phase as our suppliers who refuse to switch over to types of rubber which will not fail with the E10. A question for all vendors for our cars, "<span style="font-weight: bold">Is this part compatible with ethanol?" </span>
Scott in CA.