• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How do you run on Ethanol

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
It appears that we will all see some ethanol in the gasoline if not mostly ethanol for a gasoline substitute. What do you have to do to make a TR6 ready for ethanol? I think the alcohol in fuel cleaners makes the rubber gasket/seals brittle, possibly it will do the same in a fuel pump and make the rubber hoses brittle much sooner than just "old age". What will be the effects on HP; I only have 86 to start with…..wanted to see that number go up, not down.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
you don't. chevron 94 premium only.
rob

OP
V

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
It appears there will be changes in gasoline additives and ethanol may be even in Chevron Premium.
From the headlines:

"The additive, methyl tertiary butyl ether, or MTBE, accounts for about 10% of the volume of every gallon of gasoline with which it is blended -- or 1.4% of the nationwide supply -- but refiners plan to stop using it next month because Congress refused to grant them protection from lawsuits.

MTBE will be replaced with ethanol, but there are doubts within the Energy Department and the oil industry about whether there will be enough of the corn-derived fuel to meet the anticipated surge in demand, and whether the country's distribution system is ready to handle it."

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
ethanol has a higher octane if i recall but you need more of it so you would very slightly richen your mixture if anything. if you don't have a hot car then you probably won't notice any difference. we have mowhawk gas with ethanol ,have had for years, and there don't seem to be any concerns about it.
rob

G

[ QUOTE ]
whether there will be enough of the corn-derived fuel to meet the anticipated surge in demand

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read some of the latest articles on this issue (I had a good one bookmarked but can't locate it now) you'll see that this isn't quite the issue they make it out to be. The ethanol that is being pegged as a current and future fuel additive/replacement is biomass derived EtOH, which uses a completely new production strategy not based on corn or grain derived stocks. Biomass produced alcohols can be made from just about anything, including stuff like grass clippings, anything containing cellulosic plant material. Per pound the greatest yield of ethanol is derived from sugar cane, which is where the majority of the ethanol produced in South America comes from. The article I read stated that Brazil has pretty much the model ethanol based fuel infrastructure and that the US would do well to use it as an example. The Brazilian government has reached agreement with a number of automakers and they are building cars with fuel systems optimized to handle E85 (fuel with 85% ethanol). They also said most modern cars can be converted over to handle E85 for not all that much money. Anyway, right now 40% of Brazils motor fuel requirement is being met by internally produced E85, and they are hoping to increase that to 80% within the next 10 years. They said you can drive into just about any fuel station and choose between E85 or conventional gasoline. They've set up the system in such a way as to maximize efficieny between the crop growers and the distillers and the distribution network, and the government has taken a very hands off approach, which seems to be working well. Everybodies making money and they lessen their dependance on foreign oil imports. Imagine that, not being dependant on middle eastern oil. Even if the stuff were the same price/gallon as normal gas it's worth it just to get that monkey off our backs.

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
A few years ago I filled my TR3 up with a 10% enthanol blend while on a trip through Upper Michigan and my aftermarket electric fuel pump went shortly thereafter. I was able to purchase a cube type at a NAPA store and continued on my trip. I have had to use 10% ethanol locally last year and have noticed little difference in performance, but the ethanol blend should decrease power.

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
With the new push by the domestic car maker making E85 compatible cars, it might be a attractive alternative to convert a Triumph to run on ethanol.