• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My turn for Show and Tell!

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
Hello, gentlemen! I've been reading the goings-on with rapt attention for the past month or so, and have greatly enjoyed seeing all the fun you had at LotO. Much to my dismay, I found that my Pocket PC gets confused by the forum's "submit" button, leaving me able to read, but not respond.

I just couldn't resist finding a more cooperative computer, though, to show a little of my progress so far with Nigel, my '76. Sorry it's so lengthy, but I've been mute for a awhile. :wink:

When I got him, his bumpers were greyed, and the respray red paint was starting to show its age. He'd collected a fair amount of parking dings, had run the facia over a curb, and the driver's door had been hyperextended, but was rust-free overall, except for under the battery tray.

A little exploration revealed one red fender, one metallic blue fender, and originally bright yellow under the cherry red. The 1500 had been desmogged, and painted <span style="font-style: italic">blue</span>, leading me to believe it has been rebuilt at some point. (otherwise why bother pulling and painting it?) Older dizzy with Pertronix, so no problems on that front. The Z-S was badly worn: I got 9 mpg driving it home (200 miles from Georgia!) and no amount of rebuilding or adjusting could lean it out. I was getting 3/4 of an inch of piston lift before the idle dropped!
mg6.jpg

The first order of business was to get the lil'guy drivable, so I ditched the Zenith in favor of (sigh) a DGV. If it was an older model with SU's I never woulda done it, but because Nigel's a '76, I'm keeping a "maximum fun-per-dollar" approach, but trying to keep everything I do reversible, lest one day I be labelled a DPO. :wink: The Weber's giving me about 24 mpg now. Better by worlds, but still jetted a little rich.

When I went through the mechanical bits, everything hydraulic was leaking from somewhere, so new cylinders all 'round, master, slave, and wheel; and a few hoses. Stop, Go, and Shift now results in stopping, going, and shifting, respectively.
mg4.jpg

Rebuilt the seats by sewing up the rips, and replacing the rubber slings (long since dryrotted) with rope for more support and less give. Pulled the headrests out for a sleeker look, too.

Replaced the door mirrors (not original anyway) with fender mount Lucas repros, which work great.
mg5.jpg

Started on the dent-removal-and-painting project by using Duplicolor cans of cherry red spray paint. One panel at a time: hammer, fill, sand, prime, sand, prime, color, sand, color, sand, sand, polish. Heckuva lot cheaper than a pro job, and the results look about the same as Abingdon's.
mg1.jpg

Pulled the bumpers. The Spridget is such a beautiful and elegant design to begin with, the fedspec rubber is just...<span style="font-style: italic">wrong</span>. How could you hide a face like that? Got a '74 grille to flush-mount to the bumper stubs and painted it silver. The result is a little Sprite, a little Midget...I like it. I thought about recessing it, but that would pretty much eliminate ever putting the bumper back on. Shaved the front side markers while I was at it, to clean the lines even more.
mg2.jpg

In the back, I made fillers for the fender tips by shaping styrofoam blocks, Bondoing over them, spraying them body color, and attaching them with weatherstrip adhesive. (again, reversible)
mg3.jpg

Well, that's all the major stuff in Nigel's life so far. Before Fall, I hope to have the rear fenders and boot lid painted, and rear markers shaved. Over the winter, my project will be pulling the dash, cleaning the gauges and switches, replacing the combo gauge (I think it reads overly cool), stripping the cracked puffy foam, and refacing it in wood veneer. Unless, of course, Nigel decides to shift my priorities and throw a rod, spin a bearing, toast some wires, crack a clutch....

bugimike

Yoda
It looks like Nigel has come along nicely!!! :thumbsup:

Country flag
Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
cool - i'm encouraged

terriphill

Darth Vader
What a great job! Have fun and drive safe!

RickB

Yoda
I do like the idea with the rear fillers.

What about the flat spots on the rear valance where the old bumper mounted?
Did you smooth those over?

Did you 'corner' mount the front turn signals like I did, or did you come up with a better idea?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Great progress on a fun project. Keep us in the loop, your pics are great.

Glad to have you here, don't be a stranger.

OP
bthompson

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
Actually, Rick, you and Frank were my inspiration for pulling Nigel's bumpers! I have the front sigs mounted like you do. When I get around to painting the back half, I'll bondo over the tack-weld nubbly bits on the rear valance bumper mounts. For now, I just have plastic plugs in the bolt holes.

...I thought you'd like the idea for the fender filler!

RickB

Yoda
I used rubber stoppers to plug the holes in the back - then painted over them.
I like the body color on the bottom under the doors - did you do that?
If so, did you remove the MIDGET letters? How?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Midget letters are just a friction fit - they pull straight out - there are little plastic plugs behind (like the things you use to put screws in drywall but smaller)

OP
bthompson

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
Yep...two pins behind each letter; you can pull them right out with your fingers. I would've thought they'd be riveted or clipped somehow. Nope, just teeny little plastic sockets.

Nigel's black rockers and facias were already resprayed body color by the time I got him. I liked the look too, so I kept it when I repainted.