• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Moss MGB gearbox gasket - ugh!

Vespa

Country flag
So. I was putting together an MGB gearbox today ('73). Pulled out the gasket set from Moss to do a dry fit check, and NONE of them fit. Correct kit, and correct gaskets, but made so poorly that they are impossible to fit! I am SOOOOOOOOOO tired of poorly made parts. Vent over.

- Paul B,

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Did you try soaking them? Works some times. I make most of my own gaskets anymore out of quality gasket material. PJ

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It does get frustrating, for sure.

One thing (which you may have already done) is to let Moss know that the part doesn't fit properly. Despite our frustrations, they do take these things seriously and want to know when there are issues.

Kelvin

Freshman Member
Country flag
So. I was putting together an MGB gearbox today ('73). Pulled out the gasket set from Moss to do a dry fit check, and NONE of them fit. Correct kit, and correct gaskets, but made so poorly that they are impossible to fit! I am SOOOOOOOOOO tired of poorly made parts. Vent over.

- Paul B,

Paul

If you wouldn't mind. Could you drop me an e-mail with the invoice and date these were purchased. We build the kit in house from individual gaskets and I'll test fit them all if in fact they were purchased from Moss recently. The only reason I'm asking this is that there have been a rash of problems with parts purported to be from Moss, but upon investigation they were supplied by other sources.

thanks

I can be reached at: doddk@mossmotors.com

Kelvin Dodd
Moss Motors

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Now that's more than personal service!! Moss rules!!

jamie.lawson

Banned
Hi Paul, that’s the saddest part of getting thorough with your car and spurious spares play spoil sport. Many times instances like these happen even when you get stuff brand new and out of the box; but when it aint gonna fit, it just aint! Let me suggest you post to your requirements at [Deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
One thing for sure, Kelvin will work on rectifying the problem, he's done it before. But, If you've worked on this type of stuff before and I'm assuming you have, why not just get some gasket material and make your own? Better than tying up a job waiting on a gasket. PJ

homebeforedark

I am building three LH O/D gearboxes and just ran into the same problem. The rear extension gasket appears to have shrunk. When placed over the three studs , the bottom holes are 'half moons'. Fortunately I still have some factory original 22B404 gaskets in stock. Also be sure to check the gasket thickness. Factory was a 'compressed' .012" I've found replacements anywhere from .008-.025. This requires a readjustment of the front cover shims which you should do anyway since about half of the gearboxes have wadded up their .002 shim. I have sent an image to Moss to let them know.
Alan T

wayno633

Freshman Member
I am new to the site today. Hoping to get some insight into a tranny problem. I bought a kind of rough but running 78 mgb. I was told it had a moss 5 speed tranny and when I drove it home it shifted well and it seemed fine. Please don't laugh too hard but I never had to put it into reverse before buying it and you guessed it, I can't find reverse now after bringing it home. The seller of course acted as though he thought it was o.k. and was not the type to be very helpful or make it right. I have tried about every position with the stick to find reverse even pulling up or pushing down while trying all of the normal locations for reverse and can"t find it. The car was probably sitting for a while, but all foreward 5 gears work very well. I am not a great mechanic and it probably sounds like wishful thinking, but I am hopeful reverse is there and I am just not doing something right. Would appreciate any help. thanks, Wayne

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Take the gearshift lever and smack it to the left, it's spring loaded, hold it there and pull back. If the transmission has overdrive, make sure it's not in the OD position. You can damage the OD unit if it's in, in reverse. Overdrive is the 5th gear. If it doesn't have OD, it's a 4 speed. (Assuming it's an MGB transmission). PJ

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Wayne -- you will probably find that you'll get better response if you ask your questions as a new thread ("Post New Thread" at the top left of the window).

That said, the Moss 5-speed conversion is a T9 transmission, I believe reverse is up and to the left (next to 1st gear).

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My T-9 5-speed from Quantum - reverse is pull left in neutral, push down on knob, then up where 1st gear would be.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Sorry but, a Moss 5 speed in a 78 B? I assumed that not knowing much about MGBs, you had an MGB with overdrive, which IS a 5th gear. Strange when you could buy 4 MGB OD transmissions for the price of one Moss 5 speed. And, there's nothing wrong with a stock B transmission with OD, their almost bullet proof! PJ