• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mike Lempert gear sets?

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hello,

Does anyone know the current availability of Lempert gear sets? He doesn't seem to have a web site and all I can find are some postings on a site called "pbase". I was in contact with him several years ago about these and thought he had a web site, etc.

Is he still around? Are these available?

Thanks,
Walt

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Don't know if he's making another run, but here's his contact info:

2vm7qxz.jpg

No financial interest except that I have both his gears and a beautiful steering wheel in my car. Great guy to do business with.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I don't want to steal his thunder, but within the last few days I have exchanged emails with Mike and he IS going ahead with another production run.

I know no details of timing or cost, but I'm sure that the details will become known in due course.

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
You will be happy with the quality of his gear sets. The guy that installed them for me said that was the first time in all his years of working on differentials that he found a set that did not require any shims in order to have the proper clearances. When I got it back, you could tell that the fit was as good as it can get. Absolutely no discernible slop/play between the ring and pinion but the assembly turned smooth as can be by hand.
Once I drove my car with his gear set installed, I discovered what first gear was supposed to be used for. It certainly was not needed with the 3.90 rear end unless you are starting out on a steep grade. It is just right with the 3.56 gears installed.

Ed

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
You will find that the taller gears rob you of some of the acceleration, but these old cars aren't suited to drag racing anyhow, and the benefit of lower RPM at higher speed is well worth it if you do any touring.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
For me, changing to the 3.54 gears was the single best change I've made in owning the car for 47 years. I haven't really noticed the decreased acceleration, but then that I wasn't really looking. Still has plenty of torque to make driving a breeze.

OP
W

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I guess I'm tired of turning 3000rpm in 4th+OD in the right lane on the expressway being the slowest car out there and constantly getting cut off and nearly run over by every angry soccer mom in their mega-SUV going 80 mph. If I take it up to 3500rpm I seem to be able to keep up but I don't like cruising at that rpm level for extended periods.

I'd like to be able to cruise at 3000rpm or less and keep up with traffic meaning I need to cut off about 500rpm at 70-75mph. I'm not sure if this gear will do that or not.

Plus I also always felt the 1st gear was somewhat un-useable in this car (BN2). This car used to be my Dad's back in the day and he never even used 1st that I can remember. He always drove off in 2nd.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Walt, Changing the diff. gears from the 3.90 to 3.54 reduced my RPM by about 500 in the 60-70 MPH range. I now turn 2500 at 65 and about 3000 at 72-75MPH. Of course that is based on my mechanical tach and a GPS. So the RPM's may be slightly off, but I don't think very much. I think if you asked anyone that's changed to the 3.54 ratio, they would say it's worth every penny.

Country flag
WaltCasten said:
Plus I also always felt the 1st gear was somewhat un-useable in this car (BN2). ...

I believe BN2s had a 4.125 rearend (can't find definitive info on the net, and my shop manual's at my dad's). That would mean an almost 18% decrease in RPM across-the-board (as opposed to going from a 3.9 giving a 11% decrease). Acceleration would be affected more than for a BJ8, for instance, with a stock 3.9.

RF Thom

Jedi Hopeful
I put a deposit on a set of 3.54:1 gears with Mike in Nov 2006, have had much success in corresponding with Mike except that he keeps moving the tentative production date out. Last time I talked to him was in April 2010 and he said the gears would be available May/June [didn't mention a year] so I'm still waiting. Funny he is listed in the AH Directory without phone No. or e/mail. I found him in the 411 directory, go figure. Yes I had the correct e/mail and haven't been able to contact him there either, bounces back. My axle has cob webs on it awaiting.
FYI Bob

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just one note here, in the day these cars were fine to be run all day long at 3,000 or 3,500 rpms. They were designed to do just that.

The Lempert gears are good for cutting down on fuel consumption, but you shouldn't be worried about too much RPMs on the highway....

Country flag
healeynut said:
Just one note here, in the day these cars were fine to be run all day long at 3,000 or 3,500 rpms. They were designed to do just that.

The Lempert gears are good for cutting down on fuel consumption, <span style="font-weight: bold">but you shouldn't be worried about too much RPMs on the highway....</span>
Highway being a relative term, as there were no Interstate Freeways back in the day.

Traveling between major cities during the 50s, and much of the 60s still involved slowing down while going through every 'burb, lest you be contributing to the town's hope chest.

The M1 (in England) was famous for long-stroke engined cars spitting their guts out when being subjected to continous high-speed motoring. Anyone that's ever toured with an MGTD will relate stories of constantly varying their speed from 50-70, 70-50, and so on, to preserve the bottom end.

Just sayin... :wink:

I too have a set of Lempert gears, and it took about a year, perhaps slightly less, from the time of deposit until delivery. There was never a time when I thought I'd been taken, as I'd periodically contact him for status updates.

OP
W

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
RF Thom said:
I put a deposit on a set of 3.54:1 gears with Mike in Nov 2006, have had much success in corresponding with Mike except that he keeps moving the tentative production date out. Last time I talked to him was in April 2010 and he said the gears would be available May/June [didn't mention a year] so I'm still waiting. My axle has cob webs on it awaiting.
FYI Bob

Bob, all I can say is WOW! That's about when I was in contact with him about the gears originally. I never sent him a deposit because everything seemed vague about delivery. Not that I didn't trust the guy, he has a great reputation, but that I didn't want this payment or worse an un-cashed check sitting out there indefinitely. I seem to remember something about him waiting until he got a certain number of pre-orders to make the run. I also seem to remember him wanting around $400 for these gears, maybe one would be better off just choking down the ~$650 from AH spares or Dennis Welch?

Randy Forbes said:
Highway being a relative term, as there were no Interstate Freeways back in the day.
Randy, I would certainly say a lot less anyway. I drove this car a fair amount back when I was in high school and then college in the mid-late 1980's. At that time it didn't seem too bad because the speed limit was 55 on the highway and the traffic generally didn't travel at much more than 65mph. Today with the 65 limit and the police no longer actively patrolling (in this area anyway) only being able to comfortably cruise at 70mph has become somewhat of a nuisance.

RF Thom

Jedi Hopeful
I hate to bad mouth someone, Mile seems a credible guy BUT my patients is running out. At the end of the driving season I did my usual, run the car at 60 mph and shut the engine off letting the car coast to a stop. Heard some noise from the rear end and noticed oil on the rear brake backing plate so I have the rear end apart for inspection etc. Like to install new gears BUT.
What's going on MIKE ?? Lets here from you.

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Is there really a reason to wait months or years for Mike to coordinate the manufacture of what AH Spares and Denis Welch have in inventory? Since it has been years since he sold some, who knows what price he'll charge? Will it be so much less to make it worthwhile to sit around with a dis-assembled diff waiting? Is there a qualitative difference? Anyone with those other (non-Lempert) 3.54s want to tell us their experience?

W

WoodRim

Hello folks. I've been asked to stop by and join in on this discussion. I have scanned the messages and will go back and read more later. The most important information I would think is where things stand now and where it is going. I believe I have it on a positive track now and will explain.

I must first apologize for the more than reasonable delay in this production. As some of you know, I have done two previous production runs of the 354 gear sets. The first run of 200 sets became available in 2001 or 2002 and were sold out upon delivery from the factory. The second run of 200 sets followed three to four years later and around half had been sold prior to delivery, the remaining were sold within about a year. With 400 sets out there, and the vast majority installed and in use, they have a proven track record. The gears are manufactured by US Gear, a major manufacturer and seller to the Detroit auto industry. It was important to me from the beginning to have quality gears made. My cost is more than three times what it would cost to have the gears made in China. One might be tempted to go with price, but I prefer quality and I believe that has been no small part of making them a positive experience for people.

This third run, which I'm told has been dragging on for four years (I lose track of time) has been more difficult for me. Much of the reason is my fault I'm sure, but much of it has also been financial. The gears cost considerably more today than that first run in 2001. The cost issue was made greater by my desire to have 300 sets manufactured this time around. I wanted to make enough sets so that another run would not be necessary in the near future, and maybe not at all.

As many of you know, I employed a policy of collecting checks, but not cashing until actual payment to the factory was needed. I did this because of the delays and not wanting to hold other peoples' money for long periods of time. My feeling was that holding money in addition to the delays would cause some trust concerns, and I didn't want that. Of course, that was a bigger concern the first time around when people did not know me, unlike today when I have some name recognition. It seems banks were more flexible back then and I didn't have a problem with checks that were dated much earlier. That policy worked well then, but has created problems for me this time around. Each time I approached the target number, I had to have checks reissued. Additionally, due to my extensive delays in making this happen, I lost orders, including some quantity purchases. I do not have the personal resources to fund the gears even in part, unlike with the earlier runs. Lastly, my steering wheel work has consumed most of my time and I'm always behind in that work as well. I had periods of months where I did not give the gear project any attention at all. I've had to hire help with the steering wheels, which comes and goes, and I recognize that I am unable to do all of this. As a result, and with my understanding that I have exhausted peoples patience, I have given the project to my son, Daniel, who will be taking it forward with appropriate urgency.

Dan is in better shape than I am to help fund the project, although he too will need to collect funds from orders. I have been passing to him my records and contacts so that he can make contact and inform. I will be available to him as counsel, but he will be managing the project and I will relay any future inquiries to him. Anyone that has paid me already for gear sets, typically, but not exclusively, people in other countries, will have their sets represented by me. I have become a customer of the project for those sets. Dan will sell me a quantity to satisfy those orders. I will be honoring my price commitments to those customers regardless of my cost. Those that have uncashed checks with me will likely need to reissue them and the price may increase by ten to twenty percent due to my delays; this will be subject to Daniel's pricing. However, I expect he will take basically the same approach that I have in the past; to make a fair profit, but not gouge our fellow Healey enthusiasts as has been done by other providers of gears. This has been an affordable, high quality improvement to our cars and we would like to keep it that way.

You can expect to see advertising appear in the major club magazines, as well as some of the small local publications that have offered to place notices for us. Either Dan or I will update this community with information. For now, please ask any questions and I will do my best to answer, but then soon must start deferring all communication to Dan.

Regards,
Mike Lempert

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Mike,

I'm a newbie, but these gears seem to be legendary and I too would be interested in a set, so I will keep my eyes open for the advertisements. In the meantime, you or your son Dan might want to consider an alternative to collecting checks and waiting.

When I recently bought my Healey through earthlink we used a service called www.escrow.com. The way it worked is I sent my money and he sent his paperwork. Once the transaction was complete I accepted the car and released the money. Perhaps something like this could satisfy the inherit problems of setting on folks checks which impacts their ability to reconcile their checkbooks.

Just a thought.

From what I read you have a great product that people want, including me.

Stretch

W

WoodRim

Thank you, Stretch. I probably should have provided the email address that Dan will be using for this project. I was going to let him compose an introductory message to this group, which he will anyway I'm sure, but I will provide the address we recently set up for the project. Any email that come to me will be forwarded to this email for his attention. The address is 354gears@gmail.com

RF Thom

Jedi Hopeful
Hey Mike

Nice message, nice history, but one Item is missing [as usual ] and that's the projected delivery, what is it ?? I'm pleased to learn you are sourcing these gears in USA where manufacturers know and practice quality control.
Nov 11 was my order's fourth year anniversary.

Regards, Bob

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have Mike's diffs in both my Healeys, coupled with five-speed transmissions. This equates to 3000 rpm's at 70+ mph which is perfect for highway cruising. I have never missed a bit of acceleration and the wide torque bands of both the 4 and 6 cylinder engines allows you to get into the throttle at relative low rev's, so to me there is no down-side to the taller diff.

I've known Mike for ten or so years and he is an honest and ultimately reliable person, plus a fun and nice guy. It may take him a while to get his product to the market but you will be happy with the results.