• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Remanufactured Laygear with welded 1st gear

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
BJ8 and other laygears; when the worn 1st gear is replaced is it heat treated for hardness like the originals were?

I've installed a new one piece reproduction from AHSpares (photo of the one with the spacer) 4 times (about 10 total miles on it) makes noise in 2nd gear. However there's been no wear to any of the gears, not even 1st.

I just installed a welded 1st gear unit. After about 1 mile, no signs of wear on 4,3,2. 1st shows wear, chipping. I've made sure to baby it when going into 1st and reverse. Haven't heard any grinding noise.

1st photo, AHS.
2nd AHS close up of 1st. (10 miles)
3rd welded next to AHS. (close up, dust shown on 1st gear sides, not damaged)
4th welded close up of 1st, (1 mile, chipping already.

Attachments

• 1C4F87AF-E585-4552-8489-2DCB9C96F60C.jpeg
    1C4F87AF-E585-4552-8489-2DCB9C96F60C.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 416054EF-4478-4F88-AD63-4A95AB668937.jpeg
    416054EF-4478-4F88-AD63-4A95AB668937.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • 1DBE7D89-0332-4A15-B27A-9CA35D2C5F37.jpeg
    1DBE7D89-0332-4A15-B27A-9CA35D2C5F37.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • 2BBF81E7-713B-4DEF-979E-34B3B698D38A.jpeg
    2BBF81E7-713B-4DEF-979E-34B3B698D38A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Country flag
I think every manual gearbox I've ever owned--including two late-model Mustangs--makes some noise in 1st, 2nd and 3rd (4+ speed). I always assumed it's the nature of the beast. My BJ8 is particularly noisy in 2nd, but it's the original and showed no appreciable wear at 205K miles.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I think every manual gearbox I've ever owned--including two late-model Mustangs--makes some noise in 1st, 2nd and 3rd (4+ speed). I always assumed it's the nature of the beast. My BJ8 is particularly noisy in 2nd, but it's the original and showed no appreciable wear at 205K miles.
Hey Bob, the noise I'm referring to in 2nd is louder than 3,4 when acceleration and deceleration. It's the deceleration noise that's got me wondering why.

Why is your 2nd particularly noisy... yet shows no appreciable wear?
Congrats on 205K miles.

Country flag

Why is your 2nd particularly noisy... yet shows no appreciable wear?
No idea, except that straight-cut gears, note your laygear has one, are known to be noisy. I've heard the Sebring and Tulip gearsets, which I think are straight-cut, are particularly noisy. By 'particularly noisy,' I just meant it's louder than the others, but I don't spend a lot of time in second anyway (it's too low, IMO, and I shift to 3rd as quickly as I can). The shift lever also jumps around a little in 2nd, which should be worrisome, but the only gear I've had jump out is fourth.

Even a perfectly-running Big Healey is a cacophony of noises; it's part of the appeal to me. I think we'll miss some of the noises in our quiet, soulless electric future (fake engine and exhaust noises piped-in will be no substitute).

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
(fake engine and exhaust noises piped-in will be no substitute).:

Better make a CD NOW!!-LOL

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I believe that is an option one can purchase on some new vehicles now… not kidding.
One of the exhaust pipes on the BMW i8 is a speaker. BMW loaned one to Sports Car Market magazine when I worked there, and we were amused no end! By the way, it sounded great. It was also very fun to drive, and with its styling and
“swan doors” (similar to gullwing doors), it was not a good choice for shy people.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Getting back to my original question...
BJ8 and other laygears; when the worn 1st gear is replaced is it heat treated for hardness like the originals were?

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I don't know anything about the specifics of heat treating, like degrees of hardness. There are no doubt engineering standards for degrees of hardness. Resistance to abrasion and resistance to shear are 2 different things. I am pretty sure you can't heat treat the welded repair. You have no idea of the composition of the weld metal versus the original metal.
If you have a welded gear in your transmission that is being driven tooth by tooth, you will soon have damage everywhere from the chips and chunks, no matter how much babying you think you are doing.

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My BJ8 is living proof that these welded 1st gears do not last. I was obviously not aware it was welded on when I bought the car in 2001. The car was not driven many miles since its restoration a few years prior. It lasted about 10 years before the weld broke free. No idea about the heat treatment. I suppose it was fortunate there were no bits if any that did any damage since I was stopped at low engine speed when it gave way. New laygear installed and all has been good since.

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I looked back on the invoice from 10 years ago and the work done on it. The part was an AEC3649R reman laygear. The cost was $425 and not sure where it came from but I recall the shop searched for a long time before they found this one!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well TH I have an OEM one I found in Germany a long time ago along with a second gear never needed to replace them.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My BJ8 is living proof that these welded 1st gears do not last. I was obviously not aware it was welded on when I bought the car in 2001. The car was not driven many miles since its restoration a few years prior. It lasted about 10 years before the weld broke free. No idea about the heat treatment. I suppose it was fortunate there were no bits if any that did any damage since I was stopped at low engine speed when it gave way. New laygear installed and all has been good since.

Well considering that the added gear is constantly under a slip load I think
You were very lucky it lasted so long,

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Scot
In regard to post 14, I was going to say that the life of a welded gear being 10 years is unbelievably good. But does post 116 suggest that the reman might have not been a weld?
Bob