• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Michelin XAS tires

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I finally bit the bullet and ordered a suit of 180-15 Michelin XAS tires to replace my old 175-15 Michelin zX's that had been on the car for several years and were really out of date.

I selected the XAS's for several reasons:

1. I have had them before on a couple of BMW 3-litre sedans and liked the way they handled.
2. All reports about them were positive.
3. Other than some bias ply Avons which I do not think are suitable for straight road use they are the only tire of the proper size and aspect to maintain ground clearance and "fill" the wheel wells.

I have only taken a few short rides since mounting them up but the ride feels very positive with light steering effort at speed. I'll file a further report once I get to do some more extensive road work.

BTW I had the tires drop-shipped by Coker to Hendrix Wire Wheel and sent my wheels there. Alan did his usual superlative job of mounting, balancing, shaving, etc. and there is no scuttle shake, etc. at speed.

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Lin--

Sorry I did not see your post earlier as I would have obliged. I am on my way to a race in Ct and will be happy to post a photo when I return next week. I can tell you that the fit is really nice.

climbingshuksan

Freshman Member
Did you ever get that photo taken? Just now making final preparations for ordering a set of 180's XAS's for a 1963, BJ7. I've had 165's XAS's on the car since 1981. Wonderful tires, light steering, responsive - indeed expensive, but isn't driving a Healey all about the experience? I too was worried about clearance, but I think I'm fine. I've got 1" or more available back and front on the rears and lots of room for the front tire. Turning radius looks spaceous, so willing to take the chance on fit.

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Still in Connecticut. Will be home next Thursday and will post a photo then.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mike, how about a photo showing the new tire in the wheel opening?
Lin
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tDsaxMf5T_R0UOt3vtE6vdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/X5-1ZhWCs-Ar4_V4gvrd1tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qIOl3ibXb1zGCHZu4giiO9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HReCKh8RvDCmdXjemdaLXdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
Here some photos of my XAS tires (165x15)- very satisfied for handling and cornering characteristics also low noise on highway
Little contact with LH splash in hard steering -But I can fold a bit the splash

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Still in Connecticut. Will be home next Thursday and will post a photo then.

As promised here are three shots of the 100 with 180HR-15 Michelin XAS's mounted up. For whatever reason there is less clearance at the front of the wheel opening for the left front tire than for the right by about 1/2"--probably some accident that preceded my ownership. In any case the tires look and feel great.

Attachments

• XASfront.jpg
    XASfront.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 229
  • XASrear.jpg
    XASrear.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 244
  • XASside.jpg
    XASside.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 230

bluegrass john

Country flag
OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Climbingshuskan: If you have not yet acted I would recommend that you go for the 180's over the 165's. No offense to Andrea but please compare my photos to his and I think you will agree that the larger tires are simply a better fit. They fill the wheel opening very well and provide a bit more ground clearance, always a consideration on a Healey.

BTW, here's a well-deserved plug for one of our better suppliers:

I had these tires mounted by Allen Hendrix of Hendrix Wire Wheels of Greensboro NC. Coker shipped the tires to him and I sent him my old wheels/tires via UPS. Allen trued the wheels as necessary and mounted and balanced the tires, then returned them to me. Absolutely no scuttle shake, shimmy, etc. at any speed. I have done business with Allen for 10 years and have always been perfectly satisfied with his work and service.

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
those look great...what is the official size? 180-?????-15. thanks maxwedge

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
They are described as: 180HR15. The Coker site has about as much technical/dimensional information as you are going to find anywhere.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Andrea,

Are these tires 165x 15 or are they the 180 x 15 ??

Thanks,
John
Hi John
I can't mount the 185x15- Italian Classic Cars Commision (ASI) accept for homologation only cars -as coming out NEW from the plant, conditions
I have request the possibility to have the original 165x15 and/or indifferently the 185x15 (for me the better choice for my car) but my query was refused
so the 165x15 was obliged-I agree with Michael conclusions !

Last edited:

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
what width wheels are the 180hr15s mounted on? and is the clearance of the inner fenders really close? or the springs? thanks

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
what width wheels are the 180hr15s mounted on? and is the clearance of the inner fenders really close? or the springs? thanks

The wheels are 60 spoke Daytons which I believe are 5" wide. I do not know the offset. In any case there are no problems with clearance of either inner fenders, shocks or springs.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

They also fit on 72 spoke Daytons, which I believe are 5.5" wide.

One of the really great things about the 180 tires is how they improve the ride and ground clearance. I had the 185/70s before and the 180s are noticeably better in both departments.

Country flag
Pretty sure Daytons only come in 5in and 6in, unless they've added 5.5 to their line. I have the 6in on my BJ8, and would prefer they be 5.5. Dunlops do come in 5.5 IIRC.