• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MG 5 Speed Conversion

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
I see these advertised a lot but are they worth it? I have looked around enough to think that it would be cheaper to equip "Molly" with a good used overdrive unit instead of a five speed but is there a advantage to using the 5 speed instead of the overdrive? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
possibly better spacing in the gear ratios? That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. Then again, I've never worked on a transmission. I've always considered it a bit of a black art in my mind. So, I don't know if there are any different parts that one can put into a stock MG tranny to change up the gearing.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
John,

I have casually looked at the conversion... The casing is different than the original soooo, I must assume that this is a totally different transmission....

If you want to spend some money to make your B cruise with a little less RPM, then I would recommend finding an Overdrive unit for the B. The OD was an option so there are a few out there. I have seen them on eBay once in a while... Might be easier to look artound and find a B tranny with the OD attached. Keep in mind that you will also need a shorter driveshaft that that for a non-OD transmission....

AND, if memory serves, you will need to get a wiring harness for the OD. Like the Big Healey, the OD is electrically controlled with a switch on the dash...

Guys, help me out here, I THINK that you will also need to add an OD relay to the mix... Still, It may be worth the effort....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ask Gerry Masterman - he swears by his 5-speed conversion....me, all my cars have OD's.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,

I have been meaning to ask.... Do you REALLY own all of the cars listed???

There ARE other hobbies out there... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Not like any of us have time for them...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
I have been meaning to ask.... Do you REALLY own all of the cars listed???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, plus a few parts cars!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I can vouch for that, they are all over the place.

Check his web site, it really is like that.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,

IF you have a wife... I want to meet her sister.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
I want to meet her sister

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me - you don't...I've been married to her for 37 years...& you don''t want to meet her sister! I got the best one of the litter.

mattmacklind3

Jedi Hopeful
I would have used a 5 speed swap, Datsun or the Ford unit, but the costs put it out of my reach. After looking into it, I found the ratios are actually pretty close to between both trannies and the MG OD unit. I went with an OD and couldn't be happier. No problems so far and it was relatively affordable (around 600 for the unit, around 500 to have it put in IIRC).

Steve_S

Yoda
5-speeds work great, but it depends on what you want. An overdrive greatly adds to the vintage driving experience and to the uniqueness of any MG over modern automobiles. You can fit an overdrive with no modification to anything other than a few wires run to the switch. The 5-speed will cost more but does offer a slightly nicer gap between gears and is a little lighter than a 4-sync overdrive unit. The overdrive will also add to the resale value of the car. A 5-speed may or may not.

I personally prefer the overdrive but it's just a matter of what works best for you.

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
Tony really does have all those cars, I've seen 'em in person. A trip to his museum is well worth the cost of admission, although I'm not allowed to take a car trailer down there anymore

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My trailer is already there, hehe. Just waiting for a dark nite.

Paul Slice

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I bought the Ford 5-speed conversion a few years back when they were under 2 grand. I have nothing but good things to say about the conversion, easy to install and completely reversable if you would like to go back stock. The shifting of the 5-speed is very smooth feeling, almost like a short shifter and has no large gap between second and third like the factory tranny.
I also have a OD tranny in one of my other British cars which when it is working correctly is also a very good improvement over the 4-speed., Flipping a switch to engage the OD is very cool and unique and is always a crowd pleaser.

IMHO, there are a couple of advantages to the 5-speed.

1) more modern technology, less prone to break and much quieter operation. When you flip the OD switch you cross your fingers untill it engages.
2)no OD switch to flip, with a 5-speed your can always tell what gear it is in by the position of the shifter. I often forget to disengage the OD and dont realise it untill I shift to third and the power isnt there.
3) easier to remove and install in the future with a more heavy duty tranny cross member. The conversion does not require the engine to be removed getting out the tranny and it comes with a new balanced drive shaft.

and there are some disadvantages
1) the cost
2) not origional, if you like the vintage click-click feel of the origional shifter and the relatively long spacing between gears along with the slight roar of the tranny then this conversion is not for you.

All of the OD trannys are now 26 years old or older and their prices will go up as their relialibility goes down. Finding someone qualified to rebuild them close to you without having to ship the tranny across the country is also a concern. If you can find a correctly rebuild and guaranteed OD for less than the cost of the conversion then I would suggest taking that rought, other wise I would go with the 5-speed.

Right now the 41000 mile OD tranny in my Spitfire has lost OD in 4th gear, heading out to the garage to see if I can find the problem. When it works it is great but it is hard to access when problems occur.

Maybe Ill just go take a long ride in the 5-speed MGB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

just one opinion,

Paul

OP
kyreb1862

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
Thanks for the info Paul. Other than the cost it seems that the 5 speed conversion is the way to go. My goal right now is to develope a plan for future mods to "Molly". Because of the weight savings and reliability issues I think a 5 speed conversion is the way to go and would be a good project for the old income tax refund. Now if I can get SWMBO to go along with the plan!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks, guys...but I just got in trouble with daughter & wife...grandson who is in his 4th month on earth is rolling over & wants to sit up...Jerri & Shannon both informed me that by the time he's walking I need to have my garage finished & cleaned up because they say there's too much for him to get into trouble with (read: hurt himself) out there as it is right now....another deadline....man....

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,

[ QUOTE ]
Trust me - you don't...I've been married to her for 37 years...& you don''t want to meet her sister! I got the best one of the litter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't blame a guy for asking... and congratulations, wives who tolerate, and in your case encourage, us in our hobbies are rare indeed....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Let me look into the future, ahhhhhh. I see doors on the shop and work areas. I see little cars all clean and sparkley. I see floors all painted a shiney.

Hay, really looked good Tony.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,

Opps, just read your last post... never mind.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif