• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

5 speed tranny conversion

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
Hi all... In the ongoing post on the 1500 rebuild, Rick mentions converting to a 5 speed transmission. Can anyone talk more on this subject for the Midget 1500? What type of transmission to use? What needs to be done for a successful conversion? Expenses involved? Problems encountered doing this conversion? etc.... Thanks!!!!

OP
77_MG_Midget

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
I believe this was a Datsun/Nissan 5-speed conversion. MiniMania sells some of the parts. See:
https://www.minimania.com/web/SUBTYPE/SearchText/STSearch//Search/datsun/Search_Inventory.cfm

I'm sure you can find the parts elsewhere for a bit less.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've read, the datsun conversion isn't applicable to the 1500 series motor. I like the concept as you don't have to cut the original transmission cross member out and fabricate a new one, but unless I'm mistaken, they don't make it for the 1500.

dklawson

Yoda
I had forgotten that the 1500 was the Spitfire engine. There is the guy in Australia who exports transmission swap kits. He advertises in magazines like Grassroots MS and Classic Motorsports. I think he had kits for almost everything using the Sierra gearbox mentioned above.

rickdaily

Hey 77 MG Midget,
Rick here. Pierce manifolds sells a kit for the 74-79 Midgets. It is a conversion kit that uses the Ford Type 9 transmission. It comes with everything you need to do it, except the patience. Anyone that has a free weekend and a little mechanical skill can do it. I've driven 2 Midgets with the conversion in them and they are sweet. Unbeleivable difference. I've purchased mine but have not installed it yet, still waiting to get together the cash to have it painted, will be there soon. The 2 places I have found the kits are www.piercemanifolds.com and www.quantumechanics.com. Oh, in case you were wondering there is some cutting to the tunnel and some modification to the support but all that is included in the kit with step by step instructions. It's not cheap though, about $2300.00 shipping included. You'll have to search the websites though. On the Pierce site they are listed under the Bitish Manifolds and Quantum don't even have them on their site, but if you e-mail John (address on site) he assures me they sell the kit. I went back and checked the websites again and they both have them on the sites. They are listed under the Spitty kits. Rick

dklawson

Yoda
I remembered to look tonight.

www.conversioncomp.com

They weren't in OZ they are in NZ. Their add says they have 5-speed conversions for MGs, TRs, A-Hs, ... and they ship freight worldwide. I didn't see Spitfires, Midgets, or Sprites listed at their web site. However, their print add says they have such kits.

spridgetpwr84

Freshman Member
This is where I got my conversion kit from. https://www.rivergate5speed.com/ It was a pretty easy install with excellent instructions. Bill is also always available for questions. The datsun tranny has proven to be very reliable. Ive been racing with it for 3 or 4 years with no problems.

rickdaily

Hey Guys, The datsun tranny is not an option for the 1500,(75-79) conversions. The only kits made for the 1500's are for the Ford Type 9 transmissions. The kits come with literally everything you need for a complete conversion, including the new trans. mounts and the crossmember already fabricated and ready to bolt in place. It is kind of pricey though, 2300.00 bucks for the kit including the rebuilt tranny. RICK

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Datsun made a little engine very, very, very similar (some would say a close copy) to the A-series in a variety cars including the B210. That is why it doesn't work with the 1500. Ford Type 9 transmissions are found in most Merkurs.