• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

5-Speed Conversions

Goldie

Country flag
Has anyone installed the 5-speed conversion from The Driven Man in Cookeville TN?

His website says not in stock for the center shifter, so I figure people are installing them somewhere. A little pricey, but the big question is how difficult is the installation.

WHT

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
"Has anyone installed the 5-speed conversion from The Driven Man in Cookeville TN?"

Yes.

Do yourself a favor and use the "Smitty" conversion to install a Toyota transmission if possible. Pete Delaney is a stand-up person and can often help you find a transmission. Hundreds (thousands?) of the Smitty conversions have been made with excellent results. And, I believe Pete has a commitment to engineering, quality control, attention to detail, responsibility and customer service.

None of the transmission kits is really difficult to install; but they are not a simple "bolt-in" install either. Nothing ever is! :smile:

Last edited:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Have a High Gear in mine and love it!

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
smitty in mine and it is great. syncro in all gears
The High Gear/Tremec conversion looks like a nice piece of equipment. However the claimed ability to cruise with the tall fifth gear option at 70 mph turning 2k rpm's seems of questionable utility given that few use their Healeys for extensive turnpike cruising. And--were it necessary to get around another car at that speed--since 2000 revs is below our engines' green lines the necessary downshift to 4th would probably be pretty jarring.

I have a Smitty's and a 3.5 diff set--at 70 in 5th gear I am turning 3k rpm's, providing enough torque to make a pass without a downshift.

Best--Michael Oritt

Last edited:

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I have the Delaney/Smitty kit and combined it with a 3.54 rear end gear set. Love it. 70 mph at 2800 rpm suits my driving terrain. I had good experiences with Pete Delaney, despite some parts confusion. He was prompt and fair in getting me the correct kit parts for those that were mistakenly sent. The kit was very complete save for the gearbox is on your own.

W58 gearboxes are not as available as they once were and at the time, a couple of years ago, he was not able to point me towards one. I was lucky to find one local to me. I feel like I got the last of the $500 used boxes, put in some seals and got lucky as it was pristine inside.

There are other W series Toyota boxes that are useable. There is a good Wikipedia page on the series differences. Although the kit is essentially a bolt-in kit, it took some tweaking to get it installed. That's to be expected in my book. Money was definitely a consideration for me and that, combined with the fact that there are quite a few of his kits out there, sold me on it.

WHT

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Michael makes a great point.

I spent several days looking at speed and RPM vs gearing with respect to the Healey's power band (given our tire diameter and differential ratio).

These engines were not designed to be run at lower RPM like modern engines; and doing so will increase engine wear.

Regards, Bill

Attachments

• T-5 Graph2.JPG
    T-5 Graph2.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 61
  • T-5 Graph3.JPG
    T-5 Graph3.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 63
  • T-5 Graph4.JPG
    T-5 Graph4.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 63

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Bill is correct and lugging the engine can lead to predetonation (pinging), increased load upon the engine's lower end and really lousy passing acceleration.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
If I had to do it all over withwhatiknow mow, I would have not used the Toyota 5th gear higher ratio or, not installed a 3.5 rear axle ratio. Although, using 4th and not 5th, does give me a nice rpm to drive with.

timd999

Freshman Member
Country flag
Im in Australia and purchased the DrivenMan kit, so far its been very easy, nothing too complex, kit was very nice with simple instructions. Hope to have the car running in about 4 - 6 weeks:unsure: can report back how it goes. I changed the diff to 3.5 , and refreshing the motor
IMG_2145.jpeg

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Im in Australia and purchased the DrivenMan kit, so far its been very easy, nothing too complex, kit was very nice with simple instructions. Hope to have the car running in about 4 - 6 weeks:unsure: can report back how it goes. I changed the diff to 3.5 , and refreshing the motor
View attachment 88606

A thing of beauty!

Country flag
Perhaps Driven Man should develop and sell a clear plexiglass transmission cover to show it off.

Just leave the gearbox cover off ... don't wear any long scarves though. Is it a Tremec?

re: Michael's comment "... the claimed ability to cruise with the tall fifth gear option at 70 mph turning 2k rpm's seems of questionable utility given that few use their Healeys for extensive turnpike cruising ..."

If you take any longer trips--until a few years ago I'd do up to 5K miles on an annual road trip--you'll appreciate a taller drivetrain; you'll end doing more 'turnpike' driving than you'd like (see: Hwy 80 from the Bay Area to wherever-the-heck it ends). Putting a 3.54 diff in my BJ8 was the best mod I did on that car; knocking a few hundred RPMs off at 75 makes a big difference. Gary Anderson once opined that the taller diff with a 28% overdrive would be ideal.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Bob--

I agree but if only 5th gear changes with the "Tall" option then a downshift at 70 mph into 4th would be a rather jarring experience, increasing rev's from the claimed 2K to probably 4K. On the setup that I have (Toyota + 3.54 diff) at 70 I am turning right at 3K and though there is not an abundance of torque I am at least above the greenline and I can remain in 5th while completing the pass. With the Tall Tremec I think one would have to downshift to 4th to make a pass, only to short-shift back to 5th after getting to 80 or so.

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
View attachment 88606
Well that's sure purdy!

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
my daily driver jag xf 3.0 litre diesel is sitting at 1500 rpm at 70, makes for quite an economical drive at close to 2 tons needs a lot of torque.