• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series 5 Speed Road Test

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Took the TF out for a road test for the first time and was quite impressed. Shift is quick and precise through all 5 gears. I really like the 2.98 first gear option, first gear is where it should be, not like the original tractor stump puller. :driving: Very happy! :cheers:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
great news!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, JP. still have some minor adjustments, mainly fine-tuning the clutch pedal and getting the interior back in order.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
YAY! Something tells me you're gonna be putting lots more miles on her... šŸ˜‰

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Great news, Paul. Congrats!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Doc, I need now to get the upholstery back in order. The hug that comes with the transmission sets a tad higher than the original and the upholstery is a little short down to the tunnel, I'll probably have the wife sew a new longer piece on it when it's put up for the Winter next Dec! I have extra upholstery. PJ

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Once around the patch!
Stupendous news... getting closer to longer, enjoyable drives.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Once around the patch!
Stupendous news... getting closer to longer, enjoyable drives.
Thanks, Elliot, the only problem now is the outside temp is in the 20s and I'm not a cold-weather person, so this open-air piece of British engineering is going to set until a warm day appears! :thumbsup2: Soon :driving:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks, Elliot, the only problem now is the outside temp is in the 20s and I'm not a cold-weather person, so this open-air piece of British engineering is going to set until a warm day appears! :thumbsup2: Soon :driving:
I completely understand. Iā€™m not a fan of Old Man Winter either.
Warmer weather is coming.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Took the car out and heard a slight clicking when hitting a bump in the road and according to peter at high gear, the drive shaft is a tad too long! He said it's not that uncommon, especially on TCs, but sometimes on other models also. Supposed to be 3/8th inch of the shiny forward slip joint showing, on this one there's about .050! The shaft is approx. 1/2 inch too long, what else is new! :rolleyes2: They will send another shaft when I give him the measurements I have. I might get to drive this car before next winter gets here! :wall:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Better to address the problem now so you can enjoy it later. Youā€™re making progress.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just call it a "Research and Development Issue," Paul.

I'd be surprised if it was as simple as "Plug-n-Play" with any conversion like that. Our machines seem simple compared to modern vehicles, but the oddity is they're ALL different. We're dealing with what were basically hand-built cars. Tolerances were much more, umm, generous when they were made. Call it "slop tolerance" or as one friend said: "It's the 'Mystique of the Marque!"

Or as my Italian grandma would say: "Pazienza, bambino. PAZIENZA!!!"

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Three weeks to get another one made and that doesn't include shipping time. So, I've contacted "Drive Shafts Inc." in Tulsa, they will do the job, allowing 4 days to complete and charge $100.00! Hand deliver and pick up. Solves my problem! (y) PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Transmission yoke clearance pic. Not enough clearance. PJ

T9 5speed yoke clearance.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Three weeks to get another one made and that doesn't include shipping time. So, I've contacted "Drive Shafts Inc." in Tulsa, they will do the job, allowing 4 days to complete and charge $100.00! Hand deliver and pick up. Solves my problem! (y) PJ
Yup - local is often the better choice. When I built the B GT conversion, I sourced the driveshaft from a guy in Nashville. Similar pricing and it was balanced perfectly. Like Doc's grandma said (paraphrasing), "Patience, Grasshopper."

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Yup - local is often the better choice. When I built the B GT conversion, I sourced the driveshaft from a guy in Nashville. Similar pricing and it was balanced perfectly. Like Doc's grandma said (paraphrasing), "Patience, Grasshopper."
Mickey reminds me of an old Chinese saying, "The oxen are slow, but the Earth is patient", patience is the virtue. :thumbsup2:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Got my driveshaft back in one day, cut and balanced! Hard to believe. :rolleyes2: If it's nice tomorrow I'll take it for a ride. (y)

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well, I took the car out for a test ride and I'm amazed at how well it performed! 5th gear is another driving experience, to say the least. Jumps up to 65 with no effort and is quiet as a church mouse. The engine doesn't labor running 65, but if not careful it'll jump right up to 70 also with no effort. Finally worth all the effort. :driving: :thumbsup2:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
YAY!!!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wonderful news, Paul!

We had a driveshaft outfit close enough to hit with a rock a few decades ago, they cleared off after about ten years. Now I'd play heck finding a place to do that work. Nearest is fifty miles away. Glad you had access to get it done so quickly and well!