• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

5 speed conversion wish list

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Given the transmission woes on my ribcase I've decided to investigate installing a 5 speed in my BE. Given the Datsun 210 tranny is 30+ years old and they are harder to come by, what would be on your wish list to replace the ribcase. I don't want to get into an engine swap, maybe want is the wrong word, but I do want to look at what fits within reason, is cost effective, and gives me the reduction in revs at speed. I'm open to all ideas. Thoughts?
Thanks, Rut

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Rut
Ever thought about a Datsun 4-speed with conversion kit for $600 complete (including transmission)?
BillM

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Bill, no I haven't because I did not know that 4 speed swaps were done. What are the advantages of changing out a ribcase to a Datsun 4 speed? Does it do the same thing as the 5 speed with one less gear? I currently have a bugeye with a 1275 and a smooth case installed, a worn out ribcase with bevel cut gears that I was trying to rebuild, and a good SCCR gearbox that I discovered when I was looking for parts for the ribcase I was rebuilding. I'm ok with what I've got, but I thought that if I'm going to rebuild the ribcase I might as well look into a 5 speed conversion and put my money there. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks, Rut

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Rut
The 4-speed kit is identical to the 5-speed kit but about $500.00 less expensive (the 4-speed transmissions are far less rare and therefore far less expensive).
The top gear is 1:1 (instead of .83:1 for the 5-speed) so it is basically the same as your ribcase trans but much quieter and stronger and will last a VERY long time.
This kit would also let you put in a 5-speed later if you can find one.
Bill

RickB

Yoda
I agree about the Datsun 4 speed, it was a bullet proof transmission.
Man that thing was strong and had great syncros throughout and was quiet.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Bill, I guess I'm like everyone else and like to drop the rpms at cruise to a much less 'buzzy' level of about 3k. I must say I'm used to my 1500 rpm 60 mph cruise in my 2001 Sierra pickup and it's been a long time since I've owned a car that buzzes like that. I would think that $1100.00 would be a hefty amount to pay to drop the tach 800 to 1000 rpms, but probably worth it. I would be very interested in hearing options since I'm on a steep learning curve!
Thanks, Rut

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Rut said:
Bill, I guess I'm like everyone else and like to drop the rpms at cruise to a much less 'buzzy' level of about 3k. I must say I'm used to my 1500 rpm 60 mph cruise in my 2001 Sierra pickup and it's been a long time since I've owned a car that buzzes like that. I would think that $1100.00 would be a hefty amount to pay to drop the tach 800 to 1000 rpms, but probably worth it. I would be very interested in hearing options since I'm on a steep learning curve!
Thanks, Rut

There isn't anything other than the Ford T9 that is an option without doing an engine swap or engineering all that pieces you'd need to fit something else, even it you could find an alternate transmission that would fit. The T9 requires cutting out the crossmember and fitting a dropped, bolt in replacement after you do some welding and adaptation to fit it. The T9 shift tower needs to be shortened a couple inches, which means re-welding the case and shortening the shift rods. The T9's are virtually non-existent in this country and needs to be sourced from the UK. The transmission will be 1.5 to 2 times the cost and the kit is more expensive as well.

The 4 speed Bill mentions is the cheapest swap you'll be able to do, but gains you little more than a 1st gear synchro, though as mentioned, it's probably a more rugged box. I believe the is a Toyota box that will fit also, but I don't think anyone makes a kit, they are usually swapped along with the engine.

And yes, the big advantage is dropping the high RPM's for more pleasant cruising RPM's, but the gearbox is considerably quieter too.

I assume you know I have an excellent kit for the 5 speed. The 4 speed will bolt up as well.

https://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/5speedKit.htm

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Gerard, I've thought about the 5 speed conversion for about 3 years now and think it makes sense, but finding a decent Datsun 210 5 speed without spending an arm and a leg is hard to do. My budget is limited like everyone else and the busted ribcase gave me the 'incentive' I needed to pursue the conversion. I may have to live with what I've got and deal with the 5 speed issue when I find one, then do the conversion. Since it looked like people have been doing these conversions from a variety of donors I wanted to see whats out there. Thanks for your help and insight and maybe one day it will happen.
Thanks all, Rut

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Keep an eye out for those 5-speeds -- I've bought 2 of them in the last couple years (resold one, still have one) both times for modest money. They are out there, you just need a bit of patience to find one. Doing the 4-speed wouldn't be too bad of a job either, as it would get you ready for a 5-speed when you found one.

All that said, I was able to buy a good condition ribcase for the Tunebug (it's what is in there now) for $150. They are out there.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Drew, thanks for the feedback. I'm always on the lookout for a 210 5 speed within reasonable distance, and if I can't use it I can always resell. I've been on the forum since 2008 and looking that long as well, but always a day late and a $ short. I'm ok with what I've got transmission wise, but the SCCR will be louder than the bevel cut gears (from what I've heard) and the smooth case might not be stout enough (also from what I've heard). Down here the ribcases are pretty resonable if you can find one that's not been abused. I've read peoples comments regarding their 5 speed in use and during installation and I like everything but the cost! I'll be very interested to hear more from actual 5 speed owners.
Thanks, Rut

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
They're out there. I've had at least 3 people who are interested in kits from me find them in the last few weeks. However, if you're waiting to find one for $75-$150, you'll likely never find one. Most of them that come available are scooped up by the ebay resellers. They typically have contacts in the yards and get the "first call". You'll notice it's always the same bunch guys that have them for sale on ebay. Even guys that purchased them long ago for future projects know they have some value and a "good deal" on one is typically $400-$500. They only way I've been able to get them the last few years is off ebay myself and typically I've paid $550-$650 for one. Here in California I know a couple of the guys who do this for a living. Between the Valley and the South Bay, there's not a chance in heck you'll beat them to one. Same goes for a couple guys in SoCal. I'm sure it's the same in other regions. I'm not saying it's impossible to find one on the cheap, but your odds aren't very good if you're waiting for one under about $450. Expect to pay $60-$80 for shipping unless you can find one you can pick up locally.

RickB

Yoda
Here's a thought.
Get on Craigslist and start looking near you for a Datsun 210.
Call or visit each and see the transmission, take a flashlight and mirrors and jack, take anything you think you will need to find out if it's got the box you are seeking. If the car is drivable then drive it and see how the thing shifts and if it's noisy. Get a whole car, swap a 4 speed into it and sell it on.

May not be real close, but you may be able to drive it home.
https://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/2460193905.html

Be sure to find out if it's truly a 210 or if they are just calling it that - could be a B210. They should also be able to give you some info over the phone or email, like if it has a 5 speed.

They don't need to know what you plan to do with it, there are Datsun people who are offended that we are taking parts and putting them into our cars (go figure).

See this statement:
"I will only sell it to someone who will take care of it and knows about cars"

Country flag
I bought one from a forum member who had found one in a junk yard. I think I paid him 450. I'm sure he made a profit, but I knew the money was going into his spridget and he had done the "dirty work". It turned out to be in better shape than the one in my other spridget.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rick, I called the same guy last month and the message says the number is not reachable, then the fast busy signal. I would like to find out if it has a 5 speed, but no luck. I try the local want ads, Craigs List, Ebay, etc. and have only seen 2 for sale within driving distance (3 to 400 miles). I call the junk yards on a regular basis as well, no joy. I'll keep trying.
Thanks, Rut

Country flag
You need to find the old small rural junkyards. Most times these guys aren't listed in the yellow pages.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Trevor, good advice and there must be a zillion of them down here. I drive by several every day and just need to stop and ask the question. I know it's a Datsun 210 car, but what number tranny or specific years am I looking for?
Thanks, Rut

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

RickB

Yoda
Usually you can sell the car for nearly what you paid.
If your budget is really tight then getting a transmission you have actually seen run and know it's good nearly for 'free' after selling the car again is worth it.

Some of us have more time than money, and some have more money than time.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Well, I called all the 'local' yards within 60 miles or so and most said 'Datsun?'. Several knew what I was talking about and one yard sold a 5 speed yesterday! Like I said, a day late and $ short! I'll keep looking and maybe I'll get lucky. Keep those ideas coming!
Thanks again, Rut

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
RickB said:
Usually you can sell the car for nearly what you paid.
If your budget is really tight then getting a transmission you have actually seen run and know it's good nearly for 'free' after selling the car again is worth it.

Some of us have more time than money, and some have more money than time.

You can always make more money, you can't make more time.

It's only free if someone gives it to you.

...or if you rationalize your time has absolutely no value.